2 Replies - 1260 Views - Last Post: 25 October 2012 - 09:19 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Yet Another "Best language to use" thread (cross platform, pre

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

Wait! Stop! I DID read the FAQs and use the search engine! But seriously I have a few specific questions I couldn't really find answers to.

I started coding almost 30 years ago in Apple and Amiga Basic and 6502 Assembly but it's been years since I actually tried to work any sort of real project out of my head from start to finish. I'm rusty but from dabbling recently with pygame and some tutorials for C# (Express 2010) and Dev C++ I think I can get back up to speed, at least with a relatively high level OO language.

So yeah, it's another "Best game programming language to use" but with some specific goals in mind...

1) I don't have a big budget, I don't have a budget at all. I'd like to stick to an open source IDE (and separate graphics engine, if needed).

2) The linux guy in me would like to steer a path towards a cross platform release, at least win and nix, should I ever get that far.

3) While it's easy for me to conceive of proof of concept and protos in a single player environment I'd eventually like to include multiplayer functionality so a readily available networking library is also important.

4) The graphics engine needs aren't that great, mostly 2D with a lot of animated sprites. Think your old school turn based civilization type of games.

5) There will be a ton of class instances and fairly data intensive as well. I'm concerned about I/O speed and with that in mind should I really be looking at a database right off the bat or can I get python (or whatever) to choke up reasonable file I/O speeds if I just make big arrays and store them in XML or something?

6) I like the idea of pre-compiled binaries, at least for the client.

7) Last but not least, in case my idea ever really takes off I'd like to keep anti-piracy and hacking at bay, as much as any other game anyway. And maybe end up selling it.

I'm leaning towards pygame as it seems very easy to use, even for someone as rusty as me, but am not sure if it will meet the needed requirements. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Yet Another "Best language to use" thread (cross platform, pre

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Yet Another "Best language to use" thread (cross platform, pre

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:27 AM

Even with your specific requirements there are still a lot of possible choices.

My personal recommendation is to use C++ with SDL. That's what I use when I'm writing small cross-platform games, and it's pretty good. Works perfectly on Windows and Linux, and also Mac I believe, but I have no personal experience there.

You could continue to use PyGame (which I think heavily uses SDL too) but if your game gets big it becomes tricky to distribute (pre-compiled binaries are a little iffy in Python) and there will eventually be drawbacks in the run speed, but that may not bother you too much if your game is only simple.

If your game is indeed very simple, I might suggest having a look at my PurpleEngine project, which is basically a combination of several SDL libraries in a neat little wrapper, for C++. (http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/topic/287940-purpleengine-a-very-simple-library-for-2d-games/)

Many people say that SDL is not sufficient for commercial games, though. OpenGL would probably the suggestion after that, as it's cross platform (which DirectX isn't).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Yet Another "Best language to use" thread (cross platform, pre

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for the thoughtful reply yothsoggoth! I will definitely take a look at your PurpleEngine project as well (yes, pygame is built on top of SDL.)

I *am* concerned about python/pygame's capabilities to handle large data blocks and indexing with speed and am now leaning further towards C++. To avoid licensing problems down the road I'm also narrowing my search down to LGPL and BSD licensed libraries like OpenAL and maybe Panda3D is worth a look too (good enough for Disney, right?)

Again, no I do not believe the graphics requirements are relatively large... Being old school it is easy for me to envision a data processing server that can interact with clients of different levels of complexity. In a nutshell the game I have in mind could be displayed with ASCII characters on a console just as easily as 3D renderings with real time lighting and the like. This frees me up to work on the actual architecture instead of art assets and get at least to a working alpha fairly rapidly. Once the code is optimized, etc. I can then go back and think about making it pretty.

That doesn't mean that I don't need a way (from square one) to make a "pretty" game, just that I don't need to deal with that aspect too much in the beginning.

I have a LOT more reading to do, both here and abroad.

I welcome any further suggestions, comments and feedback! Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1