4 Replies - 2676 Views - Last Post: 26 October 2012 - 07:27 AM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Programming forums - marking a topic solved?

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

Hi. I guess from my post count it's apparent that I don't frequent these forums often. When I have had a question that I can't figure out myself, I'll come here to see what I can find. I usually try to answer a few questions while I wait for a response if I can.

Which brings me to my point. I recently posted a question in the C++ forum, and I noticed that none of the threads have any indicator (as far as I can tell) as to whether the thread has actually been answered or the issues resolved. Is the basic assumption that all threads are resolved within only a few posts?

From what I can tell this is a very active and very popular site, so I'm surprised that there isn't any uniform way of marking a programming question's thread as being solved. I do frequent the forums of the Adventure Game Studio, where the convention is for the OP to go back and add "[SOLVED]" (or similar) to the thread title once the issue is dealt with. This lets those of us who are trying to help others know who is still looking for help.

Have I overlooked something, or why isn't this something that the DIC forums have adopted?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Programming forums - marking a topic solved?

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Programming forums - marking a topic solved?

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:05 AM

I don't believe the current version of the forum software supports this feature, or it isn't enabled at the least. I do know the new version of the software has this feature, whenever we get it enabled. You are welcome to edit your OP and add a [SOLVED] marker to the title if you want.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:10 AM

Not marking something as solved opens the topic up for others to follow up on later. It's possible that someone may have something else to add, a better or improved way of performing a task, or the original poster may have further questions. How often is a project ever truly completed?

Plus, I think that a lot of questions are unique to a situation. What worked for one individual may not work as well for another. For example right now PDO & prepared statements are the common place of mysql in php. A few years ago, not so much.

The last item I would like to bring up is if the original poster doesn't come back, or doesn't bother to mark a topic as solved, & you (the viewer) is only looking for solved topics, you'll overlook an example that may help you.

In my opinion it's a silly filter that only caters to lazy readers looking for the quickest solution.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:14 AM

The dynamic on DIC seems to be more about working through a particular problem with a particular person, and less about being an archive of solutions - Stack Overflow has that pretty well covered.

This is a feature, not a bug. Discussions here go off topic in really cool ways and it'd be hard to see how a "solved" button would help that.

EDIT: I see #2 agreed with me ahead of time. :)

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 26 October 2012 - 07:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:27 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 26 October 2012 - 10:10 AM, said:

In my opinion it's a silly filter that only caters to lazy readers looking for the quickest solution.

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 26 October 2012 - 10:14 AM, said:

Stack Overflow has that pretty well covered.

Yes, that's exactly how I treat anything I read on Stack Overflow. Didn't even realize I was spelling out that place :P
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1