2 Replies - 2262 Views - Last Post: 26 October 2012 - 05:26 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

using git as a base for multiple version software, but merging downstr

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:27 PM

here is the situation i have a software that i want to offer to my clients, but they have the chance to order in changes and personal customization. Till now i have simply done copies of the original software and done the changes there. But this approach has been a pain, when it comes to maintenance and update of the core files and functions(this is only on the development server, when deployed the "copies" that git makes will be actual copies) . I have come up with an idea, to use git branches to create those different "copies" and work there. But here is the problem, i want to propagate the changes i do in the master (the base of the software, from which all the branches start) in the branches, not the other way around, from branch to merge in master. is that possible with git?and if not, is there any other software that can do that?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: using git as a base for multiple version software, but merging downstr

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: using git as a base for multiple version software, but merging downstr

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:13 AM

Here is how I would approach your problem: Have a central product and separate projects for each client. These are NOT copies of the central product. They reference the central product and contain only the changes required. You can do this using any number of design patterns. Decorator and strategy spring to mind.

When you update the central product, it will be available to all the other projects.

Of course, each project should have its own source control but that is a separate issue.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: using git as a base for multiple version software, but merging downstr

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:26 AM

@cfoley

maybe not a bad idea,have to look into those patterns, but it's too late now to rewrite the software and make it use those patterns. Either way, git supports and does what i want it to do, so for now i will try this approach :).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1