demand for a new game please

• (2 Pages)
  • +

25 Replies - 2879 Views - Last Post: 26 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

demand for a new game please

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:49 AM

I am about to stamp my foot with you lot.
I am a more... shall we say adult.. user of computers, and I dont know diddly squat about programming or I would have done this myself... but what I want is a game designed around self sufficiency.

I can hear you all switching off, but hear me out.

Look at the popularity of something as simple as Minecraft!
What I am talking is build your own log cabin survive off the land, build a homestead etc.
At the heart of every one of us is a get away from it all frontiersman/woman who wants to get back to the land.
Fact is, very few of us have the chance to actually do this, and through a virtual world this would appeal to so many people.
Through trying to find a game of this type I have seen the market that is out there for it, and I dont understand why you lot havent cottoned on!

So many people want to find themselves dumped in a wood with just an axe and a few seeds and see if they could survive. It encompasses almost all the basic desires of your caveman/bear grylls/minecraft/house on the prarie etc.

You dont have to have it as multiplayer... sometimes people just want to go to the woods on their own.

The good life is a dream of many, you only have to look at the market in books for one thing, and I really feel you may have a Minecraft competitor.

So please please please tell me you will make this... ask me questions if you want more specific details of the idea... just please, if you do make it... send me a link to it?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: demand for a new game please

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: demand for a new game please

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:51 AM

Moving to 'post a job'.

So please please please tell me you will make this... ask me questions if you want more specific details of the idea... just please, if you do make it... send me a link to it?

What's the pay for the job?

I am about to stamp my foot with you lot.

Job and pay issues aside - why is this *OUR* fault in any way, shape, or form?

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 29 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:54 AM

lol the pay is to get all the rewards of making a brilliant game... ie.. im not paying...
Was This Post Helpful? -3
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

Well interesting - after insulting a forum for not reading your mind you further rubbing salt in the wounds that my, or any other programmer's, time is worth nothing to you for a pretty involved project. Awesome.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

Its your fault for not realising the potential of this sort of gaming.

The stamping foot thing was tongue in cheek, the fact is, that most of you developers are all about shooting, and fighting and blowing bits off people.. which has its place Im not denying. But maybe the phenomena of Minecraft has been missed here? If you look at even something as main stream as Skyrim, they now have a self sufficiency mod lol, build your own house etc. Cant developers see that there is a market here?
Was This Post Helpful? -3
  • +
  • -

#6 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:59 AM

View Postysbryd, on 29 October 2012 - 10:49 AM, said:

Look at the popularity of something as simple as Minecraft!

Erm, simple to play, incredibly difficult to develop.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:00 AM

And Im obviously being misunderstood.. I wish there was a smily for irony.. no insult was intended.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

#8 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

View Postysbryd, on 29 October 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

Cant developers see that there is a market here?

Invest. Put your money where your mouth is. Otherwise, please don't come in here telling us we've dropped the ball, when you admittedly don't know jack.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

as I said I know nothing about programming.. I guess I figured that it was mostly in getting an idea that works... I shall retreat to the hills hanging my head in shame and apologising for upsetting anyone.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

#10 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:13 AM

View Postysbryd, on 29 October 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

Its your fault for not realising the potential of this sort of gaming.

The stamping foot thing was tongue in cheek, the fact is, that most of you developers are all about shooting, and fighting and blowing bits off people.. which has its place Im not denying. But maybe the phenomena of Minecraft has been missed here? If you look at even something as main stream as Skyrim, they now have a self sufficiency mod lol, build your own house etc. Cant developers see that there is a market here?

Clearly with an eleven page thread on Minecraft in the Lounge, the phenomenon has been missed.

You have to understand that games on that scale can take at least a good year or two to develop, and that's with teams of senior developers, music and graphics people, etc. The people that usually join for free type projects are new developers with no experience and a passion for making the next big game. It's a recipe for failure, and it's not the first time we've seen it.

Also, since you're not paying, what would your role be on the project? Are you simply a 'manager' or would you be handling important work like the graphics and audio?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:27 AM

I would have no role in it... I know nothing and have no input thats of value other than knowing that this would be a money maker for someone.
I look at almost every game that comes out, and there will be mods for farming.. animal breeding... building your own place etc etc etc... why wont someone build the game that has all this in the first place? It seems strange to me that something that almost always gets modded in hasnt been made a game of its own. And my Minecraft point was more about... stacking blocks? thats a dumb idea... doh.. sort of thing. People like building. Lego proves this. Minecraft proves this. There is even a relatively successful farming sim out there, although its more about acres and acres of fields and the latest tech tractor, than getting out there with a horse and plough, but there really is a market.

I clearly got it wrong with my approach, but maybe someone somewhere will see this thread and keep it in mind for one day.. I would so love to do a google search and find this game one day.

Anyway good luck with the future and stuff... and apoligies again
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:35 AM

You are going about this all back-asswards. You provide some vague points about a game, and I bet if twenty devs independently took a stab at it they would not get what you had in mind. There would be twenty super different approaches.

Sure, throwing a game idea out there is one thing but we are not next to you.. we are not there to query or quiz you... and frankly I am not going to, essentially, pull teeth to dig out some sort of design specs. So far everything you mentioned damn near sounds like Farmville. I am guessing you may have heard of that game and are thinking of something different. See - the vagueness of the approach?

As for mods - yeah there are mods for a ton of things but it doesn't mean they would be interesting.

http://www.farming-simulator.com/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#13 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:39 AM

What's funny to me about this topic :

Game enthusiast contacts developers, mentions potentials for profit. Wut?

A game studio will hire developers to create games based on what they can market & sell. It's about profits. Your scenario, contacting us is like going to Tom Cruise & telling him the plot for MI 3 was crap, or that the cgi wasn't accurate. He wouldn't give a shit, he does what he does because he makes money as an actor.

An after-thought. Did the original poster even purchase Minecraft?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:53 AM

Yeah I purchased Minecraft and I nowhere said that any game in production is crap.. its just that I again spent a few hours googling all mentions of any self sufficiency game to end up in forums that request it and lead nowhere... no one is doing it despite people wanting it. yeah Ive seen farming simulator... and played the demo, but I wont be buying because its more about driving a souped up tractor than what I want. Yeah Ive looked at farmville, but God, its so... twee.. its vomit inducing.

What I wanted was a real life.. dumped in the woods with an axe and some seeds and get on with it. There is a game that maybe taps into this.. Unreal world, developed by a swedish? guy.. and yeah I payed for that too, If you took a quick look at that you would see maybe more of what I'm talking about.. although the scenario is a little different.

A game.. that gives you a patch of ground with some basic resources, a few tools, maybe the chance of catching/buying some livestock and seeds... build your own house and farm and survive, but not, I repeat not, in farmville style. more of an adult, real life thing. Sim City on a one house basis... Oregon trail.. but with a farmstead to build and live on at the end of it...

This was purely an idea that I have repeatedly seen asked for... that I would love... that I just thought someone somewhere might make and sell to me for a reasonable (skyrimish) sort of price.

Im pretty sure I wouldnt be the only person buying it

Anyway, Ive been put in my place, and I shall shut up...
Was This Post Helpful? -2
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:06 AM

I was about to say 'unreal world'... I am still at a loss on how your idea differs from that. So it goes.

http://www.jmp.fi/~smaarane/urw.html

http://www.instantkingdom.com/notrium/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +