Windows 8

• (2 Pages)
  • +

21 Replies - 2751 Views - Last Post: 01 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Windows 8

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

Who is all upgrading? If I decide to, I want to install the OS on VirtualBox. Although, I have allocated little play time for VirtualBox, so I was wondering if it was possible to buy the full version of Windows 8, and simply have it installed directly on the virtual machine so it will not override my current Windows 7 OS.

Your inputs and 2-bits are appreciated.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Windows 8

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Windows 8

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

** Topic moved to Computer Support -> Software Support -> Windows
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

I will probably make the move to Windows 8 eventually, but definitely not straight away. I used the Windows 8 RC and whilst I thought it was ok, I still prefer my normal Windows 7 machine for day to day work/play. To be honest at the moment unless you have some kind of touchscreen laptop or tablet I see little reason to upgrade if you're on Windows 7. Vista or Xp however I would be more inclined.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

Views from a while ago:
http://www.dreaminco...25362-windows-8

I will as well, eventually, but right now I am more concentrated on a refresh of my current hardware than a new OS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

I'm rather hoping some good Windows 7 machines will experience a huge price drop. I'm going to get one of those.

Windows 8 is a tablet environment; on a desktop it seems kludgey. If it ever looks superior to Apple or Android, I'll consider it. But only if it was significantly better or cheaper, which I don't see happening any time soon.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:05 AM

So Windows 8 is now out. I'm trying to figure out what to do. And I've really been wondering what other developers are thinking about it.

I'm sure for some they left Windows a long time ago for another OS. But there still have to be a whole lot of Windows developers out there.

I haven't tried Win8 yet. I thought about buying another machine and installing Win8. But I then realized I'm not sure enough about Win8 to spend $2,000 on a new machine and then realize I hate Win8. And since I don't feel comfortable risking any of my current machines on an unknown, I'm not real comfortable upgrading a machine. I have one I could maybe test software on, but not install a whole new OS. Anyway, I may have to just bite the bullet if I decide to try Win8.

But I'm hearing a lot of things that really concern me. I'm hearing things like Windows Media Player is a separate add-on that you have to pay for and it still may not do everything it used to do. Windows Media Player is my TV. I'm not going to stand for not having that or a replacement.

But probably the thing that's really bothering me is that I'm hearing that Windows 8 is the dawn of Microsoft taking ownership of all software on Windows. I'm hearing that this is the end of "open source" software in Windows. And it's the end of independent software that hasn't had Microsoft's stamp of approval by being sold in their app store. In short, I'm hearing that this is the end of computing freedom and democracy in the "state of Windows".

Maybe I've misunderstood something, but if it's true, I'm not sure I want to continue to use Windows. I use a lot of open source software. Any software I'm likely to put out on the market is probably going to be open source or supporting an open source project. I don't mind people selling products. And I don't mind MS having an app store. But I think I've got a serious problem with having to have MS stamp their approval on software that I wrote that I'm giving to my friends. Or software that I'm putting out on the Internet for an open source project. Or software that I wrote that I want to sell on my own website. I don't mind if I have an option to sell through their app store, but I do mind being told I will sell through their app store or not at all.

I'm sure someone will point out that you can still write software to run as a Desktop app in Win8. But that's kind of a joke. I mean, from what I can see, the Desktop app is a Windows 7 emulator running as a Win8 Metro app. So your app would run inside of an emulator app... until Win9 or Win10 when they no longer include the Windows 7 emulator. Not to mention all of the issues of running through an emulator, or that you have to re-open the Desktop app every time you use it, or that new versions of Visual Studio will be geared towards writing Metro apps and not Windows 7 apps.

Metro is Windows now. If it's not Metro (I know they stopped calling it Metro) then it's "legacy" software designed for an outdated OS even if it "does" run in the Desktop app.

Anyway, I was wondering what you guys are thinking? What are your plans for the future regarding this? Are you going to live with the new rules of the "state of Windows" or revolt and find a new OS? Or am I just totally misunderstanding what MS is doing with Windows 8 (after all, I only know what I've heard on Channel9 and such and have never actually used it)? Is it time for a revolution?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:44 AM

I've heard that it looks just like AOL2.5, I'm too afraid to go look at it!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 lordofduct  Icon User is online

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:44 AM

Download the enterprise evaluation (90 days)
http://msdn.microsof...r/jj554510.aspx

Install virtualbox on your machine (or some equivalent, you should have already had this)
https://www.virtualbox.org/

Install

NOTE - some host machines have an issue. If windows gets an error 0x00...005d and won't boot into the installer the, then go into your bios of your host machine and enable 'no execute bit' or equivalent depending your mobo manufacturer.

Now you can test Win8 for free.

NOTE2 - on my work machine I had a problem installing guest additions, causing the metro start menu to render as a big grey screen. My home machine did not have this issue at all.

I'm not saying it's the videocards, but video wise the difference between both machines is that my work computer is a low-end ATI card for multi-monitor support, where as my home machine is a pair of high-end NVIDIA cards.

And lastly, my opinion.

Personally I like Win8. I like the theme. It's simple and minimalist.

I like that you can link your account to your hotmail account and share your settings and favorites between all machines you login with as that account (you get e-mails everytime you login on a new machine with said account, and you must verify that account to continue logging in from said machines). It's also less intensive on your video card, making for a smooth experience.

I'm not a fan of the fact that they removed 'Windows Media Center'. And you have to buy a add-on to get it. Though if you're upgrading from Win7, you can download said add-on for free. I use media center a lot at home, and don't want to lose that.

And of course... the start menu. I don't necessarily refer to this as metro, because metro is to aero. It's the theme and design principal. The start menu is a single implementation of said theme and design principal. I like metro, I HATE the start menu. If I had a tablet this start menu would probably rock... but I don't, I have 2 monitors, 1 at 30 inches, and the other at 23 inches. This start menu is retarded on such a set-up.

1) live-tiles - they jump and fidget about on my screen. I want to murder them. And a lot of the default ones are actually advertisements for MS software and the sort... I don't want advertisements on my fucking start menu!

2) size - it's huge and unwieldly. Dafuq I need all that space for just a start menu?

3) shutdown - it's in the dumbest place... I swear... ugh

4) all programs - are you kidding me? This isn't a damn android with 20 programs. This is a freaking work machine with over 100 programs installed. Let me organize that shit!

Now I wouldn't have a beef with the start menu, if it weren't for one thing. See that start menu would be awesome for someone using a tablet or a touch screen. Hell yeah...

But the majority of windows users out there are businesses. Businesses purchase the most licenses. And already they're hesitant to leave XP even though TWO windows releases already came. This... they wont' take it.

They may have if they had the original start-menu. But they don't. And why? It could have just been a simple user setting. Allow me to revert to the original menu... we can't have both!?

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 26 October 2012 - 06:56 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:57 AM

I wonder how many topics of "Windows 8!" we can get going before people think "Hey, maybe someone else has posted about this before...?"

** Topics merged, as this didn't really have a place in the Corner Cubicle **
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:06 AM

Microsoft is turning into Apple....

Hey we just released Windows 7 let's wait 6 months and release Windows 7 with an additional feature and call it Windows 8...

kind reminds me of Ipad 3 then 6 months later Ipad 4

or
Iphones for that matter.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

View PostDarenR, on 26 October 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

News flash for you guy, they've been copying other technologies since day one. Windows 3.1 copied Apple's gui interface, which got that idea from xerox.

Don't turn this into an OS war, because it's a seriously, seriously old argument.

Windows 8 is attacking the tablet market, because that is where the technology is going.

Also Windows 7 was released in 2009. Check your calendar as that was well beyond six months ago.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

The inability to just boot to a normal desktop is what kills it for me.

I find it insulting. It just screams "You're too dumb to do your own organizing." Either that or "You've got ADD so bad you have to have everything 1 click away and have every social app on top constantly feeding you updates"

Then there is the lack of a centralized control panel location. Some settings are through the tiles settings area and some are at the desktop control panels.

As already stated, this just doesn't fly for work environments. We install hundreds of computers a year that are basically 1 application machines: One PC as a point of sale, one taking photos, etc. I have yet to find a good way to have a machine boot and launch a specified program and just run.

We went from WinXP to Win7 skipping Vista. I'm sure the same will happen here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:29 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 26 October 2012 - 10:11 AM, said:

View PostDarenR, on 26 October 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

News flash for you guy, they've been copying other technologies since day one. Windows 3.1 copied Apple's gui interface, which got that idea from xerox.

Don't turn this into an OS war, because it's a seriously, seriously old argument.

Windows 8 is attacking the tablet market, because that is where the technology is going.

Also Windows 7 was released in 2009. Check your calendar as that was well beyond six months ago.

not turning it into an OS war

you read to much into the simple wording..

basically just liek Apple with their great customer listening ears Microsoft is doing the same by repackaging all their old stuff as new with a new item attached and callign it "NEW"--- I dont care what the OS is, just saying it is a marketing strategy employed by both companies that as a consumer you should be pissed off about.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:34 AM

Bossman had fedex hold the package (his new Surface), and he grabbed it before getting to work. As he came in (VPs were making waffles and sausage for us) he waved the unopened box in front of me while noming on a waffle... and now it sits on his desk... unopened.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:39 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 26 October 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

Bossman had fedex hold the package (his new Surface), and he grabbed it before getting to work. As he came in (VPs were making waffles and sausage for us) he waved the unopened box in front of me while noming on a waffle... and now it sits on his desk... unopened.

perhaps you should sneak on over there and "accidently" think the package was a hard drive you ordered... just saying
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +