6 Replies - 3809 Views - Last Post: 05 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Ideas to lighten up a data-focused "How To" presentation

Post icon  Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

I'm giving a presentation / lesson to an audience of 5-7 people (potentially more) on some "data basics." Essentially, I am one of the sole people in my company that can do basic etl, run sql queries, automate syntax using excel, and create SPSS commands. So I am introducing a number of relative novices to the overall topics.

The goal is not to make them subject matter experts (we have 3-4 sessions over a number of weeks) but rather to give them lots of examples and show what our various tools can do. They are experienced intelligence folks but they just do not have a lot of end-user experience with these tools or topics.

I want to interject some thoughtful / funny quotations, movie screen shots, etc. that will keep things light while also reinforcing the topics. A good example would be the way in which the Chapters of "C: How to Program" get introduced with pithy little quotes (e.g., "There is a point at which our methods devour themselves," to introduce the chapter on recursion).

A very rough outline of things I'll be covering:

SQL Server - file i/o, non-nullable columns, importance of indexes, inner & outer joins, tables vs. views, where & group-by's, things to avoid

SPSS - if-else coditionals, data typing (ordinal vs. cardinal numerics), working with strings (dates & times)

I have a few ideas already written down, but if anyone has any they would like to share I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Ideas to lighten up a data-focused "How To" presentation

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Ideas to lighten up a data-focused "How To" presentation

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:22 AM

Its difficult giving programming jokes if the people you are presenting too dont have any knowledge. They will be like WTF!!! Anyways,

A SQL query goes into a bar, walks up to two tables and asks, "Can I join you?"

And then some more general programming jokes

How can you tell when a programmer has had sex?
When he’s washing the pepper spray out of his eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two bytes meet. The first byte asks, “Are you ill?”
The second byte replies, “No, just feeling a bit off.”

Eight bytes walk into a bar. The bartender asks, “Can I get you anything?”

“Yeah,” reply the bytes. “Make us a double.”

Q. How did the programmer die in the shower?
A. He read the shampoo bottle instructions: Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

How many programers dose it take to change a light bulb?
None - It’s a hardare problem

Why do programmers always mix up Halloween and Christmas?
Because Oct 31 equals Dec 25.

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world: those who know binary and those who don’t.

A programmer walks to the butcher shop and buys a kilo of meat. An hour later he comes back upset that the butcher shortchanged him by 24 grams.

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:34 AM

I take it all this is to keep their interest? Are you a funny guy? If you are then tell your jokes. If you're not and you try anyway be prepared for tumbleweed instead of laughter.

My advice is to engage them by keeping your examples relevant to the audience. We've all been to talks where the examples are contrived. Show them how your stuff can make their lives easier or at least try and interest them with how the stuff they already use works behind the scenes.

Be interested in the material you are presenting. We can all remember dull teachers and inspiring teachers. The inspiring ones were genuinely excited by what they were teaching.

Another piece of advice is to challenge them without leaving them behind. This is a tricky one but if your material is too easy it's boring. Too difficult and you'll leave them all behind.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:12 AM

Thanks for the thoughts. In doing some research I came upon this gem, which I ended up spending about 2 hours skimming through over whiskey last night!

http://web.warwick.a...ta/jehsquot.pdf
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

View PostSwitters, on 31 October 2012 - 06:12 AM, said:

Thanks for the thoughts. In doing some research I came upon this gem, which I ended up spending about 2 hours skimming through over whiskey last night!

http://web.warwick.a...ta/jehsquot.pdf

Thank you kind Sir for sharing! I have skimmed and thus far am impressed with this work ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

What age group are they in? Ive always just went the random route where the jokes don't correlate at all with the subject matter gives a great ... WTF was that moment, I love those.

First thing that came to my mind would be to start the PowerPoint Presentation and then let them know that you forgot your water and walk out of the room, 30 seconds later Start the classic Maze Popup making them wide awake for your Presentation!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

View Postdhazard, on 01 November 2012 - 09:10 AM, said:

What age group are they in? Ive always just went the random route where the jokes don't correlate at all with the subject matter gives a great ... WTF was that moment, I love those.

First thing that came to my mind would be to start the PowerPoint Presentation and then let them know that you forgot your water and walk out of the room, 30 seconds later Start the classic Maze Popup making them wide awake for your Presentation!

It's a fairly wide swath of ages...some early 20s, some late 40s. I'm about 20% into the presentation (the first component gets presented this Friday) and I've made some good progress. I pulled in some of the witty quotes I could find in that PDF I linked to above, and I also have used a lot of google-image results. For example, after the introduction section, I have a slide that is just Morpheus offering Neo the red / blue pills, and when I get to "how to handle errors" I have a shot of Bill Murray from Caddy Shack, facing down a gopher. It's coming along pretty well actually.

Thanks all for the recommendations.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1