3 Replies - 630 Views - Last Post: 25 June 2007 - 10:12 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

THe power of JavaScript in 2 lines

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:30 AM

I came across this great post on McAfee's blog about a malicious site with 2 lines of Javascript that can cause a lot of annoying problems.

http://blog.siteadvi...7/06/post.shtml

I liked it because it wasn't about stealing information or anything like we normally see today, but just some developer showcasing how powerful and nasty Javascript can be without using expliots. It kind takes me back to the old days of malware. I rather fight these kind of malicious developers then the organized crime we have on the Net now.

-Ian

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: THe power of JavaScript in 2 lines

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: THe power of JavaScript in 2 lines

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:47 AM

Cute. Now I go home and try to reproduce it :)
Jk, but it's really amazing how much time some people have on their hands...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Proud supporter of the lulz
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:05 AM

The telnet part of it is interesting. I could see someone using this kind of thing (a tad more subtly that is) to send many many requests to a given address and beat it into submission. Like a browser-based, unwillingly cooperative DDOS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:12 PM

I remember an exploding program once, all it did was make copies of itself and add itself to startup and then quit, and then it would do that three times while each of the programs would do it multiple times themselves as they were executed after cloning and then quit. The effect was an exponentially increasing waste of hard drive space and resources until your machine slowed to a crawl. Kind of pointless but it was similar to that.

I still laughed even though I had to go in there and remove all the copies. My security prevented the adding of startup items from it so I had only half the mess to clean up. Compare that to a real hijacker that would steal all your bandwidth to traffic anything the creator wanted. What's scarier is that I won't even notice as my computer and internet connections are too fast to show up as a significant slowdown (that AND they're written for speed in the first place so you don't notice). I'd rather get surprised by a screamer than have my machine do the will of someone other than me.

I remember one of my friends wrote a program that would draw black pixels, and every day another black pixel would constantly be drawn, and added to the other pixels in place of what was really supposed to be there. His victim friend actually replaced the monitor before he was told it was just a joke program.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 25 June 2007 - 10:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1