• +
  • Last »

87 Replies - 3694 Views - Last Post: 02 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Disney buys Star Wars

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:54 AM

Well Lucas officially jumped the shark and sold the rights to his dying franchise to Disney. I do not see this as a good thing. Disney plans on continuing where Return of the Jedi left off following Luke, Leah & Han Solo.

Recently I started reading the Star Wars books maybe they can follow those stories a little closer and hopefully spit out something better than a Jar Jar Binks fueled glory hole fest.

Cite

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Disney buys Star Wars

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Disney buys Star Wars

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:00 AM

Well, at least we'll get to see some more of the story beyond the fucking clone wars. I'm so sick of seeing things about the clone wars.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:38 AM

POPULAR

Star Wars Episode XXX: The Geriatric Wars.

The scene opens on a vast expanse of desert. The camera pans across the bleak nothingness until we see a small dot off in the distance.

The camera zooms to the dot only to discover it's the Millenium Falcon, by now mostly putty, primer, and duct tape. Below the ship, we see movement. It's Harrison Ford:

Spoiler

Later, when they realize they haven't the money to pay to repair the Falcon this time, and there are no small slave children to leverage, Han must resort to using skills learned in his day job to keep the story moving:

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 12
  • +
  • -

#4 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:38 AM

POPULAR

This means that the next Star Wars will be a cross over with Pirates of the Caribbean!!

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 15
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:50 AM

In the Star Wars book world, they eventually got to a series about a race called the Yuuzhan Vong. That turned out to be quite good. Disney would never do it because the entire series is quite dark (the new aliens worship pain and death and such) and the main characters are the Solo kids (for the most part).

Truth be told, I'm not sure what we can expect from Disney with them owning the franchise. As far as I know, they've never done this. If they're considering making new movies based on the franchise, you could do a lot worse than passing the animation (if it were to be an animated film) to Pixar.

I suspect Disney recognizes the fairly eternal marketing money to be made hawking SW crap and will likely build in a Star Wars attraction or three at their various theme parks to capitalize even more on the draw to the kids. Business-wise, it's a solid move...as long as they realize they can't tinker with it too much or it could backfire on them.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:07 AM

IN all this it is rumored that JJ Abrams (sp) is supposed to direct the new movies so it might be good Me thinks it will.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:57 AM

POPULAR

Posted Image

Well, that didn't take long...

This post has been edited by Craig328: 31 October 2012 - 07:57 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 13
  • +
  • -

#8 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:59 AM

That's no moon!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#9 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

Honestly...I don't think much will change. Star Wars has been aimed at children since Episode I. Yeah, it got a little darker in Episode III, but come on. The possibility of another good Star Wars movie has been dead to real fans for a long time now. Might as well just enjoy the spectacle, because you know it's going to be that if nothing else: a spectacle. A gaudy, flashy, expensive crapfest.

What do you mean, bitter? Of course I'm not still bitter at Lucas for pinning down his franchise and raping the life out of it. Not at all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

View PostCurtis Rutland, on 31 October 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

Star Wars has been aimed at children since Episode I.

I'd suggest even further. The reason why all of us adults like star wars is because of how we saw it as a child. The production of the movies hasn't changed, we have.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:10 AM

Interesting move for the games..

Disney has revealed that, after its acquisition of George Lucas' Lucasfilm and all subsidary companies is complete, games arm Lucasarts will focus on mobile and social gaming rather than console or PC action titles.

Instead, Star Wars games for Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, the next generation of Microsoft and Sony consoles (tentatively dubbed Xbox 720 and PS4), and their equivalents for gaming computers will be licensed out of house to other developers and publishers.

http://www.pocket-li...e-social-gaming

Don't forget - their IP portfolio is pretty amusing:
https://en.wikipedia...adventure_games

Also let's not just focus on Starwars - Disney snapped up Industrial Light and Magic!

The deal includes not only Star Wars but also other businesses operated by Lucasfilm, including LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound.

http://www.forbes.co...r-4-05-billion/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:11 AM

I don't know...you can't watch Empire Strikes Back and tell me that was made for children. Return of the Ewoks...yeah, that's when it really started going in that direction.

Really, I don't think the first two (or fourth and fifth, whatever) are childish. At least, not childish in the way of JarJar.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

POPULAR

Just read something that really sums up my opinion:

Disney bought Marvel years ago, and the only thing that changed to that franchise was the logo at the start of the movie. I'm not worried about Disney ruining Star Wars any more than George Lucas already did.

Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

View PostNykc, on 31 October 2012 - 11:54 AM, said:

Disney plans on continuing where Return of the Jedi left off following Luke, Leah & Han Solo.

Princess Leah has done allot of drugs since then.. she may be a tad incoherent .
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:05 AM

That's the thing that's boggling me right now. Who will play these characters? These people who have aged about thirty years since their last movie can't do it. But could a long-time fan identify with anyone other than Harrison Ford playing Han Solo? I wonder. Of course, new fans could, quite easily, and that's probably who they'll be focusing on (though that would be strange for sequels).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »