7 Replies - 3581 Views - Last Post: 07 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Please tell me the sequence to learn programming ?

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

There is many programming language in the world. I want to learn number of programming language as much as possible till my old age. Presently I am in class 8(my age is 12 years). So I want the sequence that which language should I learn first. I am learning HTML AND CSS. And Almost Going to be master of these two programming languages. So, write any 20 to 22 programming languages to learn.I want to become both web developer and software engineer. And also tell me that Will I need to join any institute or learn from net from several tutorials. I leaned HTML and CSS on net.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Please tell me the sequence to learn programming ?

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Please tell me the sequence to learn programming ?

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

There is no correct order. People learn coding languages either out of interest, or for work purposes. If someone has always wanted to develop programs for the iPad they learn Objective C. If someone has always loved web pages then they learn HTML.

There is no such thing as being able to tell you what you need to learn to join any institute. That's just not how the world works.

Personally, I like C# so I can give you some references for that.

My standard beginner resources post

First learn the language by working 2-5 "Learn C# in 30 days" type books cover to cover. Do a couple hundred on-line tutorial projects where you build what you're told to build, the way you are told to build it WITH AN EXPLANATION OF WHY so you can learn.

Then later you can start architecting your own simple stuff. Build a calculator. Build a DVD library program. Etc. Stuff that doesn't involve the complexity of a game. Then move up to games.

There are three routes people seem to take when learning programming.
  • Just start trying to create programs
  • Start taking apart other programs and try to figure out the language by reverse engineering
  • Follow a guided learning course (school or self-teaching books)

For the life of me I can't figure out why people try 1 & 2. I strongly suggest taking the guided learning approach. Those book authors go in a certain order for a reason: They know what they're doing and they know the best order to learn the materials.

Where do I start?

You start by learning a coding language FIRST.
Learn to plan before you type.
THEN you start designing software with a purpose.

If this sounds like you

Newbie/Rookie said:

I have a little programming experience but I need to write ...
read this section
Spoiler

Otherwise, you can just jump to the resources here:
Some of the tutorials below are for C# or Java not C, C++, VB.NET [...]. But the conceptual stuff of classes, object oriented design, events etc. are not language specific and should give you enough guidance in theory of program development for you to be able to look-up specific code example in your chosen coding language.

Resources, references and suggestions for new programmers. - Updated Oct 2012
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:39 AM

Moved to Software Development.

If you are interested in web development, check out this thread.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

Well, this is a perfect place for me to shed my life story of programming! I started the hard way, ASM, but not modern ASseMbly, the type that comprises of many numbers and a few letters. DONT START WITH SNES ASM! I spent weeks even getting to grips with creating a basic custom SMW block... just stay away from rom hacks...

I in due course found out about this amazing game called Garry's Mod, its a mod (with a game license) of the brilliant Half-Life 2's Source Engine. Garry implemented this clever language called Lua, its based off C(++) and can be interpreted in real time. GMODers (as us Garry fans were called) were able to use Lua (loo-ah) to design stuff like custom gamemodes or custom weapons, or tools without the hassle of having to go through an achey C++ system of program, compile, script, test, repeat; no, Garry made easy to use hooks for us to use like SWEP.ammo or Gamemode.name etc. I suggest you check out GMOD, its a great game and programming experience (just google steam or garry's mod).

After you get experience with gLua you could move on to standard Lua or move to C++. I advise you to steer clear of C and Objective C because they are WASTES of time. Don't worry its not going to be long before C++ eats into ios and takes over Java... Also C was kinda pointless, no one wants C. It might be similar to C++, but C doesnt have all the nifty little libraries and headers of C++, for example strings!

So? What are you waiting for, notepad++ and Garry are waiting for all your crazy ideas.

PS, incase your thinking "what would this Luke know about what I want!" Well, the 99 means 1990, as in 98. Take it from a Year 10 that went through this when i was in year 7, trust me, all these complicated ideas will make sense. For example, let me just give you an example c++ code, just cuz I can, and will!

#include <iostream> // this thing is called a header, iostream stores all the basic functions of input and output in c++, include is how you 'mount' headers!

using namespace std; // namespaces organise functions, so we need to 'use' the STanDard namespcae for, well, normal functions.

int main() // int main is the way that we basically say "do this stuff", main is where what you want done gets done!
{
    int numb = 50; // we made an interger and gave it 50, I called it numb, you can call it anything!
    numb = numb + 11; // this adds 11 to the 50, so 61.

cout << "Hello, world! " << numb; // this means c out, so basiclly: write the words, then display 61. The << are for separating the data.

return 0; // This ends the program. and the // things are for comments!

}

How difficult was that? Very, maybe for a beginner, but after a few days, this makes SOOO much sense.

Hope this helped. (Oh god, I wrote a book for you... PLease give me teh rep by pressing the green +, thanks!)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

I agree with everyone else...learn by doing. I remember my first big achievement was a program to manage my bank accounts...this was pre-Quicken. This was on a Commodore 64 and later I enhanced the program on a C-128.(...Showing my age)...keep in mind back then there was no internet, ATM's, etc. I learned from a few books and Computes Gazette(oh, how I miss that).

I am actually really excited with the Raspberry PI project. This is kind full circle and gives the new generation a tool to really learn things from the ground up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

The Raspberry Pi truly is a great tool! There was a project to get them involved in our local educational system. Cheap and efficient. Great fun!

Sent from my GT-P3110
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

PI!
The latest model B is looking good! Upto 800mhz clockable proccesor, 512mb ram! A nifty little GPU, I mean... this thing's amazing! Too bad it cant wine shit, it would run a CS:Condition Zero server like a boss!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

From what I am seeing it makes a nice little game machine for MAME.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1