13 Replies - 2390 Views - Last Post: 13 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Increasing Pagefile

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:58 AM

Is it good or bad that I make new partition from my drive C: and make it as my page file. On my own observation, my PC works better...but it has any side effect to my hard drive?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Increasing Pagefile

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Increasing Pagefile

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:08 AM

I don't see how it will have any side effects. A hard drive is meant for storing data.

The rule of thumb (as far as I've known) is to make your page file double the size of your memory.

Rather than another partition, you could also use a 2nd hard drive. Keeping them on separate buses should allow it quicker access time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

The pagefile isn't just stored data, it's being treared as RAM,constantly writing and rewriting data to a portion of the HDD will make it go bad faster, I generally avoid pagefiles altogether on machines with 2+ gigs of RAM because 2 gigs is enough for most applications to run efficiently and properly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

A trick calvinthedestroyer showed to me was to use a thumb drive as a separate drive for the page file storage & usage. Thus you get the speed of ssd at an incredibly inexpensive cost of operation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

My ram is only 1G, that's why I have to extend it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 05 November 2012 - 08:32 AM, said:

A trick calvinthedestroyer showed to me was to use a thumb drive as a separate drive for the page file storage & usage. Thus you get the speed of ssd at an incredibly inexpensive cost of operation.

This isn't always a given though. You have to take into account a number of things, such as the USB version of both the flash drive and the port you are connecting to. USB 3.0 is faster than USB 2.0 is faster than USB 1.1. Also, you will be throttled by your slowest (weakest) link. So, a USB 3.0 USB Thumb drive in a USB 1.1 port, and vice-versa, will be as slow as USB 1.1. As well, not all USB drives are created equal, and some are pretty cheap in terms of performance. And, as a last consideration, being drives with flash for storage, you will wear it out comparatively fast with the excessive read/write of paging.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:50 AM

thanks for your comments
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

Playing with the page file size will not increase performance, you need to invest in more memory.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:31 AM

View Postjjl, on 24 June 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

Playing with the page file size will not increase performance, you need to invest in more memory.

totally agree here. page files are a nightmare. doesn't matter where they are located, the constant r/w that is going on detracts from what you are trying to do. a section of the hd is always active. thus removing the access time that you could have had not using.

in my experience 10/20Gb page files do little or nothing to increase load/access speeds.

more memory is the only real way forward. and it is fairly inexpensive,, and easy to fit as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

The pagefile isn't just stored data, it's being treared as RAM,constantly writing and rewriting data to a portion of the HDD will make it go bad faster,

A pagefile is not treated as RAM and is not constantly writing/reading. The disk is only accessed in the event of a page fault, which happens when you run out of physical memory. Having a page file simply increases your virtual address space, no harm in having one. It will increase your process throughput if you do use up all physical page frames.

, the constant r/w that is going on detracts from what you are trying to do. a section of the hd is always active. 

It's not always active, it's only accessed during the event of a page fault.

That seems like overkill, if you end up going to disk to swap pages 1% of the all page lookups, increasing the performance of your swap space isn't going to dramatically increase performance (plus you introduce more hardware to the memory hierarchy).

2+ gigs of RAM because 2 gigs is enough for most applications to run efficiently and properly. 

That's really dependent on which system your running. I may agree with you on a 32 bit system; however, a 64 bit system requires more memory for processes (large pages files), so I'd be more excessive and say your safe with 4+ GB of memory.

The rule of thumb (as far as I've known) is to make your page file double the size of your memory.

That sounds a little to general, what if you have 8+ GB of RAM on your system, are your really going to reserve 16 GB on disk just for your page file?...

I like to find the sweet spot by running all possible programs (exaggerated) and load all data that would ever go into these processes. Now find out how much memory your really using (virtually). Now take that number and subtract the size of your physical memory.

If the result is negative, just allocate a 1GB page file for a buffer (probably will never be used)
If it is positive, allocate the swap space to be the result + 1 GB (add an extra cushion)

Thats just my way of doing it, everyone has there own opinion however.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

View Postback_room, on 26 June 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

View Postjjl, on 24 June 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

totally agree here. page files are a nightmare. doesn't matter where they are located, the constant r/w that is going on detracts from what you are trying to do. a section of the hd is always active. thus removing the access time that you could have had not using.

in my experience 10/20Gb page files do little or nothing to increase load/access speeds.

more memory is the only real way forward. and it is fairly inexpensive,, and easy to fit as well.

Thanks. Now I know that increasing page files can damage the HD immediately. :whistling:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

a section of the hd is always active. thus removing the access time that you could have had not using.

The page file on the harddrive is not always "active". It's only active when pages are being swapped.

You are not going to damage your harddrive by increasing the page file size.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

View PostFredex, on 04 August 2013 - 11:21 PM, said:

Thanks. Now I know that increasing page files can damage the HD immediately. :whistling:

lol, wut?! no.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

d00d! Use an mSATA drive! (just kidding you really can't do that).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1