3 Replies - 632 Views - Last Post: 05 November 2012 - 08:18 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Some good tutorials for a someone who just started on C#

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

Hi,

right now i just started with trying to learn Game Development and the Basics of C#. I have found some Tutorial Series for XNA, but i have readet that Microsoft has stopped the supporting on it, and i have thinked about change to an another 'platform' IDE or what you guys call it, ex. Unity3D for start learning C# for Game Development.

Since i never have programmed before, i hope to find here someone who know some good tutorials and a IDE that is good for game development or some tutorials that learn some basics of C#.

Many questions, yes, but im totally lost on this area, so i hope this post will help.

Hope you guys can help me,

Anton :-)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Some good tutorials for a someone who just started on C#

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Some good tutorials for a someone who just started on C#

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

Look back a few posts: There are numerous threads with new students asking "What are some good C# tutorials."

An important lesson is that you are not the first to do anything. Every question you ask, someone has already asked. Every program you build, someone else has already built. So their question and their difficulties are already documented and out there on the internet someplace. Learning to research is VITAL to this job. As a student you are going to be researching the simple stuff. As your skills improve the complexity of what you are researching will also increase. One day you will be researching how to connect a hardware thingie to a computer through the manufacturer's SDK - but it will still require you to locate the existing documentation either by the maker or by someone else.

My standard beginner resources post

First learn the language by working 2-5 "Learn C# in 30 days" type books cover to cover. Do a couple hundred on-line tutorial projects where you build what you're told to build, the way you are told to build it WITH AN EXPLANATION OF WHY so you can learn.

Then later you can start architecting your own simple stuff. Build a calculator. Build a DVD library program. Etc. Stuff that doesn't involve the complexity of a game. Then move up to games.

There are three routes people seem to take when learning programming.
  • Just start trying to create programs
  • Start taking apart other programs and try to figure out the language by reverse engineering
  • Follow a guided learning course (school or self-teaching books)

For the life of me I can't figure out why people try 1 & 2. I strongly suggest taking the guided learning approach. Those book authors go in a certain order for a reason: They know what they're doing and they know the best order to learn the materials.

Where do I start?

You start by learning a coding language FIRST.
Learn to plan before you type.
THEN you start designing software with a purpose.

If this sounds like you

Newbie/Rookie said:

I have a little programming experience but I need to write ...
read this section
Spoiler

Otherwise, you can just jump to the resources here:
Some of the tutorials below are for C# or Java not C, C++, VB.NET [...]. But the conceptual stuff of classes, object oriented design, events etc. are not language specific and should give you enough guidance in theory of program development for you to be able to look-up specific code example in your chosen coding language.

Resources, references and suggestions for new programmers. - Updated Oct 2012
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:54 AM

Let me also suggest you familiarize yourself with some of the commonly asked questions rookies ask. If you know where most people run into trouble you can avoid it. Basically, if you see a dozen ships all crashed on the reef you know not to sail in that direction.

tlhIn`toq's FAQ list

Learning to debug one's own code is an essential skill. Sadly, one that apparently few college courses teach. Silly if you ask me.

Placing breakpoints and walking through the code line by line allows you to actually WATCH it execute.

Visualizing what your code does will let you see why it behaves the way it does.

It would be well worth your time to do the tutorials on FAQ 2. A couple hours learning this skill will save you hundreds of hours of confusion in one project alone.

TOP most asked:
What does this error message mean?
FAQ 2: How do I debug
FAQ 3: How do I make Class1/Form1 talk to Class2/Form2

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions - Updated NOV 2012
Spoiler

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 05 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for this VERY help full answer!

It was very good explained, and it helped me alot!

:-)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1