1 Replies - 1693 Views - Last Post: 06 November 2012 - 01:51 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

how to choose the good Database to use in App

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

Hi

I Know that we have only 3 DBMS : - Hierarchic - Network - Relational, and there is Databases Creators/Editors softwares for the 3 DBMS
... For the Relational DBMS 'RDBMS', I found a lot of software like MySQL, Oracle , SQL Server and so on ...
but, I Want to know 'How to choose the good one to use in my application ?'
In Desktop Applications ??
In Network Applications ??
In Web Programming ??

what is the good one ? and if we have a small DB, what you advise me to use ??

Thank you

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: how to choose the good Database to use in App

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: how to choose the good Database to use in App

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

Hi David29;

I would go with MySQL, it's already part of the OS-AMP web architecture: OS(MS, Mac OS, Linus) Apache, MySQL, PHP. Basically you'll make a SQL database using the myPHP admin available in most OS-AMP bundles. But there is some functions missing from the price versions of MsSQL Server and Oracle.

I would look at the language you are making a desktop app in to see if there are built in libraries for a database. You wont be using a DBMS inside of an application you'll be using database-eque codes to store application data. You could probably just make a library or a tuple to store information. All object oriented languages have a library and tuple data structure.

If you're making a networking application you're probably going to want to write something that calls an existing database or create a port using MySQL or MsSQL Serve or Oracle and write a script to call the DB and then scrape the data. So if you have your own DBMS the networking app will carry from it or if you don't it will call the server.

Regarding the complex DMBS marketplace, MySQL is free and NASA uses it, so should you. Oracle and MsSQL server are not free from that I have hear. Thus unless you have thousands of dollars to drop on a DBMS then go with MYSQL. Don't bother with the home office family of Access, File Maker or Open Office they will run SQL, but from what you want to do networking and web programming they wont help you.

Have fun database programming
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1