5 Replies - 3588 Views - Last Post: 05 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Should I pursue a Computer Science degree?

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

I am a Sophomore at a community college and I'm still undecided about my major. No matter what major I pick, I will be behind a little bit. I love computers and I'm on one for most of the day. Because of that, I took the AP Computer Science class (Java) at my high school and I got a C in it. I am in an intro to CS course (C++) at my community college now and I have an A. Sometimes I like coding and sometimes I hate it. It's great when I understand the concepts being used and I seem to follow the logic correctly. Other times I just can't figure out the problems and it takes me hours to finish what should be a simple program. I'm also taking Calculus 1 right now and I hate it. I'm getting a C right now. If I pursued Computer Science I would be required to take up to Calc 3 plus physics courses. That does not sound fun at all.

Would Information Technology be a better route for me to take?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Should I pursue a Computer Science degree?

#2 Martyr2  Icon User is online

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Should I pursue a Computer Science degree?

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

Hard to say what direction you should go, it appears you are all over the place. Not too sure why you would have trouble with Java and not C++ since Java has much of its humble beginnings in the C++ world.

I think we all can say we hate programming sometimes when we are stuck with a really tough problem and the program isn't doing what we want it to do. However, if you like the challenge and get a thrill when you finally get it working, that tells me that you may do fine as a programmer.

If you like computing in general and want to steer clear of lots of math, perhaps the Information Technology program would be better. CS in many universities tends to be heavy theory focus while Information tech is usually a bit more hands on and based around information itself. How to manage data in systems like databases, networks, and hardware.

In the end though it is really up to you. I think in this situation the only way you will know is to take a few classes of each and then decide your major.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

Looks like I'm going to choose IT then. It just annoying that I will be a semester behind :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

I took the IT route but I wish I took the Computer Science course.

Little story why:
The enrollment and interview lines for both courses are beside each other, and I saw that the Computer Science line has fewer people on it(say, 20 people on IT and 3 on CS), so I chose IT, thinking it was the better route.

As Martyr2 pointed out, if you hate math you should probably just take IT. But take me for an example. I don't know algorithms and stuff. I'm stupid when it comes to things like Set Theory and Recursion, Big O and the sorting algorithms. Yes, we took some of them, but not in depth. Now all I am is someone who knows the syntax but doesn't know how to optimize code. I want to be able to work on that level where I understand how what I'm using will impact the system, in terms of performance and design. If you'll look at some of the topics here, some programs that deal with equations are sometimes dealt beautifully by those who took CS. Now I'm aiming to re - educate myself with Mathematics and then charge forward to the more complicated topics in CS, all because I think CS is the better way to go if you want to be a programmer.

Still, IT is a great course. If you must really steer clear of the maths, go for IT(pun intended).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

Also, I might add, IT is focused on the business part of programming: creating desktop apps for businesses like accounting and inventory systems. Also, web programming is a focus on IT too, creating static and dynamic websites.

If you want to do compilers, games, and maybe your own OS and programming language, I think CS is the best way to go. Also, scientific and engineering applications are specialties of this course. Basically anything that crunches tons of numbers that deal with science and mathematics. Accountancy deals with numbers too, but I'm giving it to IT.

The stuff above is based on my own opinion and has no concrete proof to back it up, except for my own views.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

Believe me, I would love to be able to major in CS, but I don't think I could handle it. I would be way too stressed from the math part and would probably flunk those classes. I'm preparing for a calc test on Thursday right now and I'm ripping my hair out as I type this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1