3 Replies - 570 Views - Last Post: 06 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Evolution Model

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

I want to make a program to model evolution, but I'm not sure where to start. Here's a rundown of what I want it to do.

I want to implement organisms that evolved preferably from a single one to create different levels of the food chain. Also, I'd like mutations to occur through errors in the computer's copying back and forth of data; would this be feasible? I've seen programs like this, but they all used preset behaviors that were randomly chosen like going in circles or a preset line. I was thinking more of characteristics that contribute to the organism's actions like speed, metabolism, awareness of its surroundings, etc.
I've been trying to do research on video games like FIFA and how the computer simulates the players' actions, but have had little success.

Please help point me in the direction of where I should go. For example, what language would be ideal? What types of algorithms could be implemented? What should I research? Any links with pertaining information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Evolution Model

#2 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Evolution Model

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

You are looking for something called a "genetic algorithm". http://en.wikipedia....netic_algorithm
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

View Postgchenfc, on 06 November 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

I want to make a program to model evolution, but I'm not sure where to start. Here's a rundown of what I want it to do.

I want to implement organisms that evolved preferably from a single one to create different levels of the food chain. Also, I'd like mutations to occur through errors in the computer's copying back and forth of data; would this be feasible? I've seen programs like this, but they all used preset behaviors that were randomly chosen like going in circles or a preset line. I was thinking more of characteristics that contribute to the organism's actions like speed, metabolism, awareness of its surroundings, etc.
I've been trying to do research on video games like FIFA and how the computer simulates the players' actions, but have had little success.

Please help point me in the direction of where I should go. For example, what language would be ideal? What types of algorithms could be implemented? What should I research? Any links with pertaining information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

As Skydiver said, the wiki link would be a good place to start. Firstly, FIFA doesn't 'simulate' the players movement, the FIFA engine displays and blends predesigned (and pre-motion-captured) animations to display accurate player's movement. Also, your evolution 'model' will have to be able to simulate an entire global (or even universal) environment to create accurate evolutionary paths. You would want to consider a highly choreographed yet random system to simulate events happening on earth (or your chosen planet), for example meteors, volcanic action, water levels etc. And vegetation, not all animals can eat meat! Plant life can effect gas levels, when earth was dominated b plants, insects the size of small motor bikes roamed the earth.

If you want to design this program as biologically realistic as possible. You also need to run various external simulations for basic things like movement, you manage to spawn a dinosaur, you need to run 1000nds of simulations so it doesn't just fall over every time it tries to move, so then how would the beast manage to mate if they can only crall on the floor?

Though, I have to say good luck, don't try to get all of that ^^ into your first prototype, and in-fact, don't even aim for GUI: get a text based simulation of the first bacterial mutations working, then build on-top of that,
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

I think this is a feasable goal. You would want to put all your characteristics on a sliding scale. For example, if an organizm can move 5mph, most of its offspring will also move 5mph, but some will move 4.5 and others 5.5. It would be really cool if you could link some of these characteristics to represent trade offs. For example, big animals tend to be slower, but also harder for most small predators to hunt. Without these tradeoffs, I would expect you would only get a population of the biggest/fastest/most efficient super animal possible. You have to generate multiple environments to stick the offspring into if you hope to actually see evolution since a varying environment is required for natural selection.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1