6 Replies - 1080 Views - Last Post: 10 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Advise on career change.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

Hello Everyone,

First allow me to say that you guys have a great community here.

So here is where I would like some advise. I currently worked as a Staff Acoountant at a medium to large manufacturing company. I started this position almost one year ago and with no prior experience but I have adapted quickly and would consider my self to be very good at this job. And though I don't love it I find it tolerable and the work environment is good.

Recently I was contacted by an individual (whom I know) and offered a position as a entry level (very entry) Software programmer at Company that was recently purchased by a larger firm in the same field. I believe it is geared towards databases in commerce. I have no degree in computer sciences but I have always wanted to do software development. I have very little to no experience in the field except for some very basic HTML and some JAVA in Android and X-Code Objective C)for iPhone. The best thing I ever created was app that greeted you with a splash screen and then rendered a web page. Which I worked on for a total of maybe 8 hours. I do have a lot of desire. But I digress.

The position would give me a great opportunity I believe to enter a field I think I would love all while being taught and paid. So what is the problem?

The problem is that the salary I would receive is substantially less then what I currently make (about a 10k). I realize if I am good and successful the upside is huge but there are so many variables I don't know where to begin. I realize that even with all the drive I may have and even if I consider my self intelligent none of this guarantees any success. I also realize that in the software world companies are bought and dissolved rather easily.

Is the potential learning experience worth it?

Forgive the typos please.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Advise on career change.

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Advise on career change.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

Moved to the Corner Cubicle.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 06 November 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

Moved to the Corner Cubicle.

Thank you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

This question of "Can you tell me the future?" ... "What will be the state of programming in 5 years?" .... "What should I do? Is there money to be made in software engineering?" .... is getting asked 3 times a day.

I'm sure it will get worse (more people asking the same question) in the future as the economy continues to suck.

I suggest you just browse back a few days in this forum. There are so many posts and questions on it any more I suspect that continued repeats of this question will get little response: I for one am tired of repeating myself to people that can't read yesterday's posts. And I'm sure others are saying to themselves "Oh not this again... next question"

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 05 November 2012 - 09:22 AM, said:

Yeah, you're sparking a "Which language is best?" war.

This has been covered so many times here. The short answer is:

They are all good, and they are all bad. You need the right tool for the job. You don't build desktop application in HTML. You have to decide what area of programming you want to do. You talk about "contract work" like it is all the same. That's like saying "Plastics". There are 100,000 different kinds. If you want to code for Xbox games you use a different language and IDE than you do for iPad games. So you need to pick an area of coding you want to work in, then determine what tools are used for that.

As for the questions about "what will be useful in the future?"... We aren't fortune tellers. If we had a crystal ball that told us the future of computing software engineers wouldn't be in the unemployment lines along side welders. And if the senior developers looking for work had that crystal ball, frankly they wouldn't be telling kids fresh out of school what areas to go to so as to create even more competition for those rare jobs.

I think you need to recognize the that software engineering is a job in the real world just like any other. People compete. 1,000 applicants apply for 1 job. That's the real world.

If you want to compete on oDesk, great. Then actually LOOK at oDesk for the desired skills rather than ask us. What contracts are being offered? What technologies are being asked for? What is the pay rate for those gigs? Can you build a system fast enough to make a living at it? Because here's what I notice there most of the time: Someone wants you to build an entire Point of Sale system from inventory to sales counter software, with barcode reader integration and full on-line ecommerce store. The maximum pay is $500. If you can build all of that in 10 hours then you are making $50/hour or around $100k/year. Which is what you need to make considering you are freelance and have to pay your income taxes and social security out of that since you are now your employer. If you can build all of that in 10 hours: Wow! If it takes you 100 hours (2.5 work weeks is still pretty quick) then you are making $5/hour. Can you feed your family on that? Not if you live in a first world country. Maybe if you live in Mumbai.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 06 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 06 November 2012 - 07:40 PM, said:

This question of "Can you tell me the future?" ... "What will be the state of programming in 5 years?" .... "What should I do? Is there money to be made in software engineering?" .... is getting asked 3 times a day.

I'm sure it will get worse (more people asking the same question) in the future as the economy continues to suck.

I suggest you just browse back a few days in this forum. There are so many posts and questions on it any more I suspect that continued repeats of this question will get little response: I for one am tired of repeating myself to people that can't read yesterday's posts. And I'm sure others are saying to themselves "Oh not this again... next question"

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 05 November 2012 - 09:22 AM, said:

Yeah, you're sparking a "Which language is best?" war.

This has been covered so many times here. The short answer is:

They are all good, and they are all bad. You need the right tool for the job. You don't build desktop application in HTML. You have to decide what area of programming you want to do. You talk about "contract work" like it is all the same. That's like saying "Plastics". There are 100,000 different kinds. If you want to code for Xbox games you use a different language and IDE than you do for iPad games. So you need to pick an area of coding you want to work in, then determine what tools are used for that.

As for the questions about "what will be useful in the future?"... We aren't fortune tellers. If we had a crystal ball that told us the future of computing software engineers wouldn't be in the unemployment lines along side welders. And if the senior developers looking for work had that crystal ball, frankly they wouldn't be telling kids fresh out of school what areas to go to so as to create even more competition for those rare jobs.

I think you need to recognize the that software engineering is a job in the real world just like any other. People compete. 1,000 applicants apply for 1 job. That's the real world.

If you want to compete on oDesk, great. Then actually LOOK at oDesk for the desired skills rather than ask us. What contracts are being offered? What technologies are being asked for? What is the pay rate for those gigs? Can you build a system fast enough to make a living at it? Because here's what I notice there most of the time: Someone wants you to build an entire Point of Sale system from inventory to sales counter software, with barcode reader integration and full on-line ecommerce store. The maximum pay is $500. If you can build all of that in 10 hours then you are making $50/hour or around $100k/year. Which is what you need to make considering you are freelance and have to pay your income taxes and social security out of that since you are now your employer. If you can build all of that in 10 hours: Wow! If it takes you 100 hours (2.5 work weeks is still pretty quick) then you are making $5/hour. Can you feed your family on that? Not if you live in a first world country. Maybe if you live in Mumbai.

Appreciate the cancer. Thank you.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

Candor. Not cancer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

That's a really tough question. I think to succeed at this you really have to have a drive to want to learn the skills and thrive. I'm not saying that you don't, but if the only reason why you're considering it is because it was offered to you.... then I don't know. If you hate your current job sure.

Nick
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1