5 Replies - 401 Views - Last Post: 08 November 2012 - 04:11 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hello my fellow nerd-ians

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:35 AM

whats up guys. my name is daniel. i have made a few posts here already and i have become quite a large fan of this site. im not new to html but its been a while since ive messed with it. i am self taught since around age 13-14 up to now (28) i havent been messing with it the entire time just on and off but its definately something i enjoy. recently i started creating a surivalist website with a zombie theme. after finding out my co-worker had a blog it sparked my interest to show him some basic html, he wanted to learn anyways, and after talking to him about his survivalist skills and how he wants to prepare for a break down of society, not necessarily a zombie infested world, i instantly became interested in creating my own website. i did not know css or javascript at all before starting and i have learned quite a bit from online resources and troubleshooting here. it took me around a month to get the exact layout of my website finished as well as all the contect. took me quite a bit of research to complete the content. right now im in the process of converting my website into a responsive web design, which i had no idea about until someone here told me about it, to accomadate mobile devices. i am very thankful for this website and all those users that have helped me in my learning process. =)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Hello my fellow nerd-ians

• Nasal Demon
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hello my fellow nerd-ians

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:32 AM

Good to see you enjoy DIC boards. :)
Have you tried dabbling in server-side yet? Or are you more into client-side (HTML, CSS, Javascript, design, graphics)?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:43 AM

View PostXupicor, on 07 November 2012 - 06:32 AM, said:

Good to see you enjoy DIC boards. :)
Have you tried dabbling in server-side yet? Or are you more into client-side (HTML, CSS, Javascript, design, graphics)?

I'm always up for learning something new but I guess I get tunnel vision when I work on a particular project, in this case my zombie website. i guess i dont really know where to start. plus im limited because my job currently requires me to work a 24 hour shift every 3rd day and i cant have my computer at work. and on top of that the computers i can use only run ie sk8nk =O what exactly does one do with server side scripting like what would you be able to accomplish with it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nasal Demon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:55 AM

Dynamic content. ;)

If you wanted to add content to your page you'd need to create/modify html files, right? Well, with programs/scripts on the server-side you can build a system that will let you add content without modifying actual files. Like DIC or any other board, blog, etc. ;)

For very simple cases, you can get rid of code repetition per HTML page. Like... Use server-side to combine header, content, footer, all in separate files together. Then when you want to change something in the footer, you don't have to change every single file - just one.

You wouldn't even have to learn new language if you didn't want to - you can use Javascript (node.js, etc) to do server-side. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

ok so i have a pure css vertical menu. each time i added something i had to go to each page and add the link. are you saying i could have avoided this with server side scripting?!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nasal Demon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:11 AM

What is in that menu? Is it a list of, say, articles you have on your site?

Sure you could. You could keep your articles in a database, have your server-side code store it there when you add it, and read it from there when somebody wants to read it.

Your menu could be a result of database query. You ask database for a list of your articles titles and unique ids, then you construct links using that information.

Primitive implementation is very easy, actually. :)

One tip would be to make that above database query only once per adding an article, and store results (or ready generated menu) as a "cache", which you'd use instead of hitting database every refresh. You'd then "refresh" that cache when adding new article, or editing title of existing one.

This post has been edited by Xupicor: 08 November 2012 - 04:12 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1