Local Amendments - anything of note come up and pass or fail?

• (4 Pages)
  • +

49 Replies - 3380 Views - Last Post: 09 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Local Amendments - anything of note come up and pass or fail?

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

You're just grumpy because he cut off your naked calendar talk.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

... because that's the closest I've had for awhile...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

Kolinar?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

Just as a note, the right-to-repair amendmenet in Mass was already implemented in law, so the ballot initiative didn't actually matter. It was put into law because everybody knew it would pass if it hit the ballot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

It looks like Maine's World of Warcraft Assassin won the a state senate spot.. event after having her toon smeared by the opposite party.

Posted Image
http://www.politico....1012/82043.html
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

View PostBenignDesign, on 07 November 2012 - 08:49 AM, said:

View PostSho Ke, on 07 November 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

And it looks like affirmative action was thrown out

Would not allow affirmative action programs in state hiring, contracting and education programs. Affirmative action is state policies in place aimed at increasing diversity in state hiring, contacting and education giving weight or preference to underrepresented groups such as women and minorities.

Hmm... not sure how to feel about this one. I agree and disagree. While I don't think I should be given special preference for being female, I don't want to be discriminated against for being female either. Candidates should be hired based on their skills and qualifications, not gender, religion, or skin color. But at the same time, there are a lot of bigots in the world who - if not forced to hire someone of a different race, gender or religion - will refuse to hire anyone of a different race, gender or religion.

Essentially, for the skills and qualifications set, it's a step forward. For the anti-bigotry set, it's a step back.

The people should not support organizations that behave in a silly manner. IE, if Ford, one day, decided it would not hire any hispanic females, the community should no longer support Ford. (if they believe that practice is silly, that is)

Keeping your wallet in your pants is the most effective form of dissent.

On the other hand, the government should not force/coerce people to do things like hire a certain amount of a certain type of people. That's just crazy.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

So... the people should be appropriately educated and the government shouldn't keep a minimum in case the people are not up to snuff? Interesting.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:05 AM

View PostPython_4_President, on 08 November 2012 - 01:28 AM, said:

The people should not support organizations that behave in a silly manner. IE, if Ford, one day, decided it would not hire any hispanic females, the community should no longer support Ford. (if they believe that practice is silly, that is)

So you're saying that if a few hiring managers at Ford are racist or sexist, we should boycott the company? Hell, I'll give you the entire executive staff, and still say that's wrong. Who do you think will suffer from a boycott of Ford? The racist/sexist executives? Or all of the factory workers who lose their jobs when Ford scales back production do to a loss of demand?

I have seen injustices come because of affirmative action, plenty without it, and many in spite of it. I think we are getting to the point where it is unneeded, because its presence doesn't allow race and gender to ever be a non-issue, which is I think what most of us want (not including professional activists, of course - they'd be out of the job). "Hey, all that sexism and racism crap is behind us, thank god, but guys (and gals of course ;)), we really have to hire that black woman, because we're low on both and this is a two-fer."

Because Americans have proven themselves to be really good at this, right?

EDIT: I guess the appropriate use of apostrophes is not my strong point before I've finished my first cup of coffee...

This post has been edited by h4nnib4l: 08 November 2012 - 06:41 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

So you're saying that if a few hiring managers at Ford are racist or sexist, we should boycott the company? Hell, I'll give you the entire executive staff, and still say that's wrong. Who do you think will suffer from a boycott of Ford? The racist/sexist executives? Or all of the factory workers who lose their jobs when Ford scales back production do to a loss of demand?

If Ford let it become a big enough problem that average Joe and all his neighbors knew about it, then yeah. Don't support evil people and the organizations they build. The workers ought to quit, too.(totally hypothetical, of course. I like Ford.)

Because Americans have proven themselves to be really good at this, right?

Oh, absolutely not.. Everything is totally fucked up, and millions of people would buy shit from somebody that eats raw babies stolen from the hospital for breakfast every morning if that somebody sold some product for less money than some other person. (and maybe even if it was the same price, but this somebody ran ads with kittens in them)

Just saying, in an ideal world, people would know that if they did something stupid, they'd lose a lot of money/be fired/kicked in the nuts/whatever, or at the very least, piss off absolutely every single person they know, and they might not get any help when they needed it. (as I'm sure I've done in the caffeine lounge)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

How about this one I received in my email this morning?

06:18 TodayDead State Senator Wins
An Iowa state senator who died last month from breast cancer received the most votes Tuesday to represent Iowa's Senate District 22, The Waukee Patch reports.
Pat Ward, a Republican who was seeking reelection at the time of her death, led Democratic candidate Desmund Adams, according to unofficial results.
The state's Republican Party has until Nov. 13 to submit a candidate to appear on the Dec. 11 special election ballot in the place of Ward.
John Ward, the late state senator's husband, announced last week that he intends to seek the nomination.

Link

This post has been edited by Bort: 08 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

View PostPython_4_President, on 08 November 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

Just saying, in an ideal world, people would know that if they did something stupid, they'd lose a lot of money/be fired/kicked in the nuts/whatever, or at the very least, piss off absolutely every single person they know, and they might not get any help when they needed it. (as I'm sure I've done in the caffeine lounge)

Just saying, in an ideal world, people would know that if they did something stupid

in an ideal world

in an ideal world

in an ideal world

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

And I'm just saying that this isn't an ideal world. And in an ideal world, people wouldn't have the problems you're trying to solve in the first place. That's the problem with ideal-world-hypotheticals. You generally don't need them in the world in which they are designed to work.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 08 November 2012 - 04:15 AM, said:

So... the people should be appropriately educated and the government shouldn't keep a minimum in case the people are not up to snuff? Interesting.

The ignorance of the American electorate is exactly why we're in the mess we're in today. Everybody focuses on the presidency but the real problem is our Congress. Congress hasn't passed a budget since 1997. Fifteen years without a budget is why we no longer have surpluses but instead own a ridiculous amount of debt (around $16T as of right now). What's worse is that Congress won't pass a budget because if they did it'd have to conform to the various budget laws they've passed over the past couple of decades (Gramm Rudman, BEA of 1990, etc) and neither party wants to be held responsible for being...well...responsible. The only way the government remains functioning is by stopgap spending agreements and presidential discretionary spending. Ergo, we have two unfunded wars and an explosion in entitlements.

You can't stick to a budget if you don't have one and nobody seems to care that our debt is now bigger than the annual GDP of the entire country.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

View Posth4nnib4l, on 08 November 2012 - 08:49 AM, said:

And I'm just saying that this isn't an ideal world. And in an ideal world, people wouldn't have the problems you're trying to solve in the first place. That's the problem with ideal-world-hypotheticals. You generally don't need them in the world in which they are designed to work.

You gotta be the change you believe in, my friend.

@Craig328: [sarcasm]What's the point of a budget when you can print money?[/sarcasm]
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

View PostPython_4_President, on 08 November 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

@Craig328: [sarcasm]What's the point of a budget when you can print money?[/sarcasm]

Well, it's also an indictment of our education system when the majority of citizens today have no idea how the government or the economy works.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +