10 Replies - 557 Views - Last Post: 08 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hello dream.in.code peoples

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

Hello, I am obviously new to these forums. I am a newbie to programming as well. I am reading some books on Python right now. I also recently switched from Windows to Ubuntu. Hopefully by the time I get finished reading my current book (A Byte of Python) I will have an idea of either a beginner program to put together or some scripts to customize my OS to my likings. Either way I am stoked to be learning this skill. I also write my own music using various softwares, and I love gardening oddly enough. With any luck I will fit in with this community and maybe sometime in the future be able to contribute to the learning experience of others.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hello dream.in.code peoples

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hello dream.in.code peoples

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

Hey, Swampt. Welcome to DIC!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

What music do you make? Techno or dub or something? I'm interested with the whole music from the computers thing, as I love music. Good luck with Python! I'm a newb on that one, and I find it fun. Welcome to DIC! ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

I have experimented with a few different styles of music. I prefer aggrotech/terror EBM, ect.. I use ableton primarily, with a few others as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:18 PM

Whoa, it seems like everyday I wake up there's a new subgenre of techno. And I'm on the RYM(RateYourMusic) forums too, I thought I knew the obscurer or newer subgenres. I guess I'll take those for a listen. I want to widen my techno listening so as to add something to The Knife, Matthew Dear, Stereolab(lol) and LCD Soundsystem. Any recommendations?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

Aggrotech isn't really new. Its been around since the early 90's or earlier. This may just be what they are calling it these days. Its a cross of electronic and industrial i guess? Velvet Acid Christ, Unter Null, Suicide Commando, God Module are some examples of this sub genre. One way I find new artists these days is by listening to pandora. Not sure what the rest of the world thinks about pandora, but I love it. If you have not tried it, give it a shot. www.pandora.com just set up an account, type in an artist name, and let er rip.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

Pandora is how I found most the artists I like. :D I adore throwing strange combinations and finding all kinds of awesome songs/bands.

Anyways, welcome to the community Swampt, even though I'm quite new as well. Been a lurker for a while however. ^_^; Haha. I'm best with the .net programming languages, however, I do know up to intermediate in python if you have some questions about beginning. :) Feel free to shoot 'em this way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

I'll keep that in mind! Thanks! Although I generally prefer to figure it out for myself, I will usually only start to ask questions if I get stumped real bad. I am pretty familiar with BASIC from Dark Basic Pro, so I get the programming concept. I am starting to see though that that version of Basic is very beginner.. Python is kinda giving me a run for my money right now.. But Ive only been at it for a few days. I just need to learn the layout and syntax I suppose. Either way, thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

Python's tricky at first, but it's not hard once you get your head around it. The main thing is to always try to do things the easy way - there's generally an easy way, and it's usually the right thing to do.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

Yea, haha, I am seeing that. I read a few more pages and it all starting to come together now. I guess it was just the way this book is layed out. He throws some deeper examples at you in the first few sections, then the following sections start to break it down. It was odd to me.. it didn't start with operators like most do. It threw some heavier expressions at me which had me scratching my head for a minute. Im in the next chapter though and already starting to plot out a program to tell you how many days till your birthday (i know thats a worthless program, but anything to teach myself will do I suppose).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

I think it's very useful to know how many days until people give you prezzies. :)

(It's also a useful program in that you can learn some things from it - you're handling weird, jagged data and trying to get a nice smooth answer out of it)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1