Is learning VB6 now a complete waste of time?

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

109 Replies - 43195 Views - Last Post: 08 January 2014 - 04:44 AM Rate Topic: -----

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is learning VB6 now a complete waste of time?

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

What about if the vb6 runtime was made Open-Source?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

View Posttrevster344, on 09 November 2012 - 09:28 AM, said:

View Postmikepet, on 08 November 2012 - 10:24 AM, said:

VB6 is a great introductory language for new programmers. The syntax is easy to code and to follow. New programmers can concentrate on learning data types and how to declare and code variables, events, methods, properties, modules, and classes without getting confused with advanced stuff like inheritance. Once a programmer has a firm grasp of how to properly structure an application, then they can graduate to more advanced languages.

The key here is to use VB6 as a base for learning the fundamentals. First lesson is know how to turn on Option Explicit!

I started learning VB6 and while I can agree the syntax is easy, VB.NET was definitely easier for me. My father is a VB6 programmer, one of the greatest programmers I've encountered, who still programs in it today. He tells me the same thing every time I ask him why he doesn't learn .Net, "Son, I can code anything in VB6. Everything I have ever needed is coded in VB6, and frankly I don't have the time and energy to learn and convert everything over to a newer language". So guess what he has me doing? I'm converting his code over slowly lol, and taking some of the work load off of his shoulders. VB6 is still extremely useful and I have yet to find something it can't accomplish. My father and I take turns writing software for stuff, because whether it's him(VB6) or I(VB.NET), the job gets done efficiently. I don't think VB6 is the greatest choice for anyone seriously looking into a job in this field, but I don't see any harm in learning any language you want. There is always something you can create in another language, that is better or easier to accomplish in some way. I will always believe VB6 has a place in this world.

I work at a small shop and have been coding in VB6 since I started back in 1998. We are only two developers here and we have far too much invested in VB6 to drop it all and start over. I prefer to start new projects in VB.NET and even C# however, I will be the only one working on it since the other developer shares the same sentiment toward VB.NET as your father does. That's not necessarily a bad thing. He's comfortable and has mastered his tool. From a business perspective, he can pound out new apps in a really short amount of time. End users don't know and, quite frankly, don't care what language the app was written in so long as it works as per the specs.

I'll agree with you that learning VB6, with the hope of starting a career, shouldn't even be considered. However, if someone is simply exploring programming as a career choice, then VB6 is good starting point.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Peasant
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

I work at a small shop and have been coding in VB6 since I started back in 1998. We are only two developers here and we have far too much invested in VB6 to drop it all and start over. I prefer to start new projects in VB.NET and even C# however, I will be the only one working on it since the other developer shares the same sentiment toward VB.NET as your father does. That's not necessarily a bad thing. He's comfortable and has mastered his tool. From a business perspective, he can pound out new apps in a really short amount of time. End users don't know and, quite frankly, don't care what language the app was written in so long as it works as per the specs.

I'll agree with you that learning VB6, with the hope of starting a career, shouldn't even be considered. However, if someone is simply exploring programming as a career choice, then VB6 is good starting point.

I for one am certain I can make a VB6 app work in a business environment no problem and my family is testament to this as they have done the same for the passed 18 years with the visual basic family. Personally I try to keep up with the upgrades because as new releases come out, new features and tools come out that can save you a shit ton of time.

You definitely don't have to drop your VB6 code and start all over though. VB.NET is very similar to VB6 after all they are family. I've had no problem converting all my old code over to .Net and there is definitely an understanding of Object Oriented Programming that is required but it's not hard at all. Once you pick up on the simple little shortcuts that have made coding more efficient, as well as knocked out the bad practices, you can accomplish anything in the same if not less amount of time. Took me about 6 months of converting small bits of code over to finally get a solid grasp on the different environment.

What about if the vb6 runtime was made Open-Source?

Adam I can honestly say I wouldn't know what to do with it lol. What would you do if that was the case? Personally I don't think that's really worth my time as I enjoy VB.NET and there is a wonderful team continuously updating that not counting the thousands upon thousands of programmers providing their tools for use to the public day in and day out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

My rationale behind my idea of making the vb6 runtime open sourced, is that it enables Microsoft to end support. If an interested third party want to continue support, then there is nothing stopping them. If the vb6 communitity want to maintain support, update it, fix bugs, fix compatibility issues (imagine a linux verision) then it is up to them.
Linux is open-source and maintain by the linux community.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Peasant
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

View PostAdamSpeight2008, on 09 November 2012 - 05:28 PM, said:

My rationale behind my idea of making the vb6 runtime open sourced, is that it enables Microsoft to end support. If an interested third party want to continue support, then there is nothing stopping them. If the vb6 communitity want to maintain support, update it, fix bugs, fix compatibility issues (imagine a linux verision) then it is up to them.
Linux is open-source and maintain by the linux community.

That's definitely a good rationale. I'd definitely go back to VB6 if cross platforming was all in one, as so.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Your Friendly Local Curmudgeon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

Microsoft very rarely obsoletes languages like that. VB6 is a testament to their willingness to keep shitty things around.
Why do you characterize VB6 this way, xclite? Seems like a fine language to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

Trevster, the idea that VB6 is not an object-oriented language and VB.Net is is not entirely accurate. VB6 has (nearly) all of the characteristics of OO except white box reuse. Most people who say that VB6 is "not an OO language" say so because of this missing characteristic. However, VB6 is definitely "oriented" to the use of "objects."

This post has been edited by Curtis Rutland: 13 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#38 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

@Bob, I'm guessing you weren't making a point there by posting the same thing four times, so I cleaned it up a bit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:47 AM

View PostBobRodes, on 13 November 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

Trevster, the idea that VB6 is not an object-oriented language and VB.Net is is not entirely accurate. VB6 has (nearly) all of the characteristics of OO except white box reuse. Most people who say that VB6 is "not an OO language" say so because of this missing characteristic. However, VB6 is definitely "oriented" to the use of "objects."

VB6 is object based language while VB.NET is object oriented language. Can you elaborate why is not entirely accurate to say the VB.NET is OOPL?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

View PostCurtis Rutland, on 13 November 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

@Bob, I'm guessing you weren't making a point there by posting the same thing four times, so I cleaned it up a bit.
Thanks Curtis. I was having trouble posting at some point so I must have tried too hard. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

VB6 is object based language while VB.NET is object oriented language.

The concept of "true" OO languages and "not true" OO languages came into being by looking at what VB didn't have and making those things part of the definition of "true". The term "object-based" is a clever Microsoft invention designed to sidestep the argument entirely.

(In other words, classic VB is the only "true" object-based language. Which should be obvious to anyone with half a brain. Javascript isn't object-based, and anyone who says so is wrong, not to mention an idiot, a moron, and probably hopelessly ugly and still living with his mother. If you're gonna go object-based, you're gonna go VB, and don't let any moron tell you otherwise. I'm gonna start another thread called "Is VB the only true object-based language?" so I can put all those morons in their place. Especially the noob moron incompetents who don't think the distinction is important.)

Seriously, if you look at any attempts to describe the difference you'll see that VB is pretty much the only example given of an "object-based" language, although some folks attempt to throw javascript in there too for variety. (For a good article on why javascipt isn't really oriented around objects at all, see here.)

So, I don't find the distinction to have much practical value. I prefer to use the term OO in a utilitarian sense rather than in a one-true-religion sense. VB is oriented around the use of objects; one may make a strong case for this statement, therefore VB seems pretty OO to me. People who attempt to draw the distinction generally fall into the VB is a horrible language let me tell you why camp. I notice that none of those people have much to say about things like speed of development, reliability of code base, and very importantly, the ability to reuse code. Which is the purpose of objects to begin with.

Them: But...but...but...VB doesn't even allow INHERITANCE for heaven's sake. How can it be OO?
Me: Whatever. :)

Can you elaborate why is not entirely accurate to say the VB.NET is OOPL?

A careful reading of what I said should clarify that I didn't say that. Admittedly, it's a bit convoluted.

This post has been edited by BobRodes: 17 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

Let me point the about the Javascript (or the standards call it ECMAScript) is a FP (Functional Programming) language. It's objects are a result of how the function is defined. As can be since in the super set programming language TypeScript

Object Orientated programming existed before the creation of vb, in languages like Simula67 and SmallTalk.

This post has been edited by AdamSpeight2008: 17 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:09 AM

@BobRodes everyone can look at VB6 as it wants. You can look at it as Object Oriented which in a way is given that you can initialize classes forms etc. It dose not have inheritance and/or polymorphism but if you want to look at it as a Object Oriented is fine by anyone as much as you want. :)/>

On the topic though even that i like VB6 for it simplicity the easy syntax i find it useless to learn now. You can start with VB.NET which have the same benefits that VB6 and its full truly Object Oriented Language. After you learn VB.NET you can easy start coding on C# which is the same framework and have little differences from VB.NET and you can then focus on the C like syntax. I like VB6 have but still it dose not have any real use anymore sadly.

This post has been edited by raziel_: 19 November 2012 - 02:10 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:46 AM

Hi everyone,

I will stick with VB6 forever, using it about 15 years now and I'm happy whit it! :bananaman:

I tried to install VS.NET versions like 2003, 2008, 2010 on my system (Intel 3 GHz HT, 4Gb DDR3 RAM, nVidia 8600GT)...and it's too sloooow (like great Adobe Flash Player, No CPU and RAM dependent :rolleyes2: )!

That's my opinion.

Kind regards
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:47 AM

Well i`m currently running Visual Studio 2008 on Intel Pentium M 1.73Ghz, 2GB RAM god know what integrated video whit Windows 7 on it and runs ok it takes a few minutes to load but after that its ok.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »