10 Replies - 1865 Views - Last Post: 08 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Should I start Software engineneering before programming

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:14 AM

Greeting to all of you guys, I'm proud to be DIC member, this is my first topic on DIC. I want to ask whether I can start learning Software engineering with some basic programming language like java or to start learning programming language like java until I became guru on it then I start Software engineering.

Regards
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Should I start Software engineneering before programming

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Should I start Software engineneering before programming

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:18 AM

Typically a college degree takes you from the ground up. Is this not what is happening with your school?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:17 AM

My first degree was an IT, I take just fundamental of C++, Java and .Net besides database like fundamental of SQL and oracle, software engineering principles and SQA. But to be honest our collage instructors wasn't that tough( sorry to say something bad to my lecturers but they was wors then to say not tough). Now I'm in my last semester of my Mba in engineering management and i have time in 6 months (only thesis n 1 extra subject) so want to learn this 6 months software engineering in dept or Java programming language in dept also, that is why I'm asking. thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:45 AM

Buy a couple books. "Learn C# in 30 days" type books. You can learn on your own in 30 days, what your school will take a year to teach you because they want a year's worth of tuition money from you. Its said here all the time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:51 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 08 November 2012 - 06:45 AM, said:

Buy a couple books. "Learn C# in 30 days" type books. You can learn on your own in 30 days, what your school will take a year to teach you because they want a year's worth of tuition money from you. Its said here all the time.

Thanks tlhIn`toq, I have now java how to program 8th edition, Deitel. So your advice is to start first programming and go in depth it then only I can move to Software engineering?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

Basically, yes. I don't see how anyone can learn Software Engineering without having a solid basis in coding and OOP principals. How can someone design software if they don't understand how it works? Its like asking someone to architect a house without ever having picked up a piece of lumber or hang a single piece of sheetrock. Its all the theoretical and the architect (software or building) is so far removed from reality or actually understanding the materials their working with that I would never hire them to design for me.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 08 November 2012 - 07:56 AM, said:

Basically, yes. I don't see how anyone can learn Software Engineering without having a solid basis in coding and OOP principals. How can someone design software if they don't understand how it works? Its like asking someone to architect a house without ever having picked up a piece of lumber or hang a single piece of sheetrock. Its all the theoretical and the architect (software or building) is so far removed from reality or actually understanding the materials their working with that I would never hire them to design for me.

Thanks again tlhIn`toq. Now I have just little fundamental oop using java language, I have also little background on MySql database and oracle. so base on your answer when I can move to learning Software engineering? Is the basic things of the programming language is enough or until where exactly? Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

We have no way of advising you when you are ready to do anything.
Part of building software is designing it. You can't code something if you haven't designed the logic for it first. As you write more software you will learn designing. There are tons of books on software architecture: Read some. You'll learn a lot faster than in school. At the very least it will give you a head start on your classmates so you can graduate with a perfect grade.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

my friend i think that it is impossible to learn software engineering before programming. It is like learn how to write a book before study the alphabet. I think that you should follow the advice about getting a book about programming in a language like the "learn c# in 30 something" and try to build something of your own. An application that you will need 3-4000 lines of code that do something like a small mobile app for win mobiles that takes orders, something simple and fancy that you can upgrade. So then you can go further by studying software engineering to make upgrades on your application like networking, connect to databases, software patterns etc And off course don't expect to be a guru in a month, programming is an art ant it takes time to improve your skills
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

The first part of design is the art of not making the obvious mistakes. You need to make all of those mistakes at least once before you can learn how to avoid them.
A second part of design is reusing stuff that works. You need to write some stuff that works before you can reuse it.
A third part of design is stealing ideas that are worth stealing. You need to write a lot of code before you can understand which ideas are worth stealing.

Go forth and write a bunch of trivial programs, and then write some nontrivial ones, and then think about architecture.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

Also, if you know nothing of programming, there's always CodeAcademy to get your mind thinking in code. :D I've used it a bit to learn javascript, but that's about it.

There's also Coursera and Khanacademy to learn some of the basics on your own before school. ;D So much information is out there for ya! Personally, I like the "Code the hard way" books more than the code in thirty days. *shrug* That's just me though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1