2 Replies - 2631 Views - Last Post: 15 November 2012 - 11:52 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Online vb.net application

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

Sir,

I have devoloped a windows application in vb2008 express as front end and sqlserver 2008 as back end in my windows 7 machine
And the connection string is as follows:
Dim con As SqlConnection = New SqlConnection("Data Source=PC_NAME\SQLEXPRESS ; Initial Catalog= db1;Integrated Security=True")
con.Open()

// Sets of codes

This is working fine in my machine

But now i want to be used this software used by other computers within LAN

My Query is how I can use My windows server2003 Server as backend for my vb.net application so that all clients can use same allication and the data can be saved on windows server

What all Should be installed in my Windows server and client machines [eg: vb2008,sql server express &so on]

And correction to be made on my connection string in existing vb application
Please give me details as I an newb to make an online software

Thanks in advance

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Online vb.net application

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Online vb.net application

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

Where you have your DataSource in the connection string, this can be a network address, an IP address, a DSN address (essentially an alias to connection settings). So for instance you can have Data Source=191.107.210.10,1433; etc.

All clients which run your application just need the application installed (preferably with an installer that also installs the .NET framework if they don't have it already) and your server just needs to run SQL Server on the appropriate ports (like the 1433 used in the connection string above). It then has to be made sure it can be seen across the network (visible by the clients) and make sure firewall software is not blocking the ports needed to establish communication.

Now keep in mind that the Express editions of Visual Studio do have their limits. For better program distribution and ease for creating setups and such, you may want to eventually buy a full version. Express editions are primarily for trial purposes and for self learning on your machine.

But you don't really need much more software or anything to create an online application. You just need a server that can be connected to by the clients, SQL Server running on the server and your application on the client machines.

Hope this helps. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Online vb.net application

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

Sorry Sir I dint get u...

What i doubt was installed sqlserver express in windows 7 m/c and was using with vb2008 express application in win authentication mode ,Its working fine
//Dim con As SqlConnection = New SqlConnection("Data Source=MY-PC\SQLEXPRESS ; Initial Catalog=master; IntegratedSecurity=True")
con.Open()
What i want to do is I want to install the sqlserverExp in windows server2003 m/c and use that database as datasource for my vb application,instead of using the same system
insted of using the above connection string I want to use,
Data Source as Sql Server exp Within Windows server
Dtatabase :SQL database in windows server
And so that if any system that uses my vb application(Windows application) should access the datasource within the server

"Is it possible to use the sqlserver database within windows server2003 from the computer that is not within LAN Connection"

If Yes Will u plese provide the details to complete my project
Thanks in advance
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1