8 Replies - 425 Views - Last Post: 10 November 2012 - 05:42 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Greetings Web Crawlers,

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

I can speak for no one but myself, but I've always found writing introductory paragraphs incredibly challenging; it is one thing to compress one's nature by passing it through a limited medium like linguistic text, but it is quite another to do so using a brief, recipient-driven format such as this.

So instead, I'll just type about varying topics and you can read it if you'd like.

Most relatable to the topic at hand is my coding history which, I concede, is fairly limited. As I assume most of you are, I've been something of a "power user" for the majority of my time spent using PCs. It's a sensationalized term, without a doubt, but in my use it refers to my desire to surmount most computer-related challenges presented to me. As an extension of this, I have long had a desire to learn, to a proficient level, a widely used programming language so that I might further expand my skills reach when working with virtual environments. Recently I have finally found the motivation and willpower to direct at starting that journey and that is the cause for my connecting to this node of knowledge.

I am starting with C++, as it seems to be widely used and a very capable language, although if I come across a language whose style is more suited to my method of thought I would gladly redirect my pursuit towards it.

Frankly this is all very new to me, not just in the topic of knowledge but in the medium that is being used. I have, as any Internet user does, used many forums for many topics, but never have I actually taken the time and energy to join and become an active participant of one. I am sure it stems from some other part of my nature but that is irrelevant here, what is of importance is that I am finally doing what I have long sought to do, communicate ideas with like-minded people, something I have lost the opportunity to do in the recent past.

With all of that out of the way, if anyone who is reading this finds certain statements to resonate, I would very much like to pursue a further discussion, the topic of which could be nearly anything, as perhaps that resonation speaks of something more extensively common between the two of us. PM me or ask a question here, it matters not to me.

With hopeful excitement,
MonDayne

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Greetings Web Crawlers,

• Perfectly Squared ;)
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Greetings Web Crawlers,

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:32 AM

Hello MonDayne

Welcome to DIC :)

If it is not much of a bother for you,I would suggest you to use This template for introducing yourself.

regards,
Raghav
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:31 AM

View Postraghav.naganathan, on 09 November 2012 - 12:32 AM, said:

If it is not much of a bother for you,I would suggest you to use This template for introducing yourself.

Well if I had done that my nature would hardly pass through the medium. "I" would be presented as though I were an object with predefined variable traits. You can much more easily form an accurate depiction of an individual when you read (or hear) they way they form sentences which is an extension of the way they think.
I am not seeking a succinct summation, I am seeking an accurate reflection.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nasal Demon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:00 AM

Actually, I enjoy this kind of introduction far more than a dry template, so thanks for taking the time. ;)

Yet another C++ soldier comes around to our training camp? Well then, load your rifle, don't point at your brothers in arms, and get ready. It sure ain't gonna be easy, but by the time you go to a real war, you'll love it. Welcome to the army*, son. ;)

On a more serious note, did you check some other languages, like Python? It could be well used instead of bash scripting, and is quite powerful general purpose language. Well, could be used on Windows too. ;)

____
*) - "Come join the Military! Place where you can meet new, interesting people, and kill them!"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:32 AM

View PostXupicor, on 10 November 2012 - 01:00 AM, said:

On a more serious note, did you check some other languages, like Python? It could be well used instead of bash scripting, and is quite powerful general purpose language.

In all honesty I've really only just begun the process; I have started working through various online tutorials but I don't have any hard-copy reference books yet so I feel as though the topics of my learning are incomplete; I don't seem to be getting the "big picture" of the language from the sources I've been using.
I'm interested in other languages but I am wary of branching out before I have a firm grasp in some something integral to the topic; I am too often guilty of spreading my energies too thin when I become involved with too broad of a spectrum of topics.

Primarily I've been searching for a reliable source of introductory-to-intermediate level lessons online, preferably for many languages in one location but specifically C++ right now.
If you know of anywhere that might be a good place to start my search, aside from a search engine, I would be extremely appreciative.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:40 AM

Good day, and welcome to the community!

I'm new here as well, but I'm already into learning C++. I would like to refer you to www.learncpp.com - the lessons there are fully free, and they assume that you have no previous programming knowledge, so, everything's described in detail. There are many lessons, and they start from the very beginning, showing you C++ in its integrity (not really, but as close as you can actually get to integrity)
I've found those lessons/tutorials quite good for me, despite the fact that I've already got previous knowledge of programming, especially with PAWN, which is a language with a C-like syntax.
Hope my suggestion will be of use to you!

P.S: I'm from Eastern Europe, and I've used some English terms which I don't master. Excuse me if some sentences sound strange!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:55 AM

View Postsilvarray said:

I'm new here as well, but I'm already into learning C++. I would like to refer you to www.learncpp.com - the lessons there are fully free, and they assume that you have no previous programming knowledge, so, everything's described in detail. There are many lessons, and they start from the very beginning, showing you C++ in its integrity (not really, but as close as you can actually get to integrity)
I've found those lessons/tutorials quite good for me, despite the fact that I've already got previous knowledge of programming, especially with PAWN, which is a language with a C-like syntax.
Hope my suggestion will be of use to you!

P.S: I'm from Eastern Europe, and I've used some English terms which I don't master. Excuse me if some sentences sound strange!

Thank you for the suggestion, from my initial glance it seems to have a consistent structure and appears to be relatively extensive, at least for the standard functions. I'll be sure to take a further look at it by working through some interesting lessons. I hope to gain a general understanding of key terms and common syntax by working with C++, as it appears to influence many other languages and, of course, vice versa. I long for the day when I am proficient enough with the standard principles used in programming languages so as to be able to start using a new language, even if only at a basic level, immediately after having the desire to do so.

In regard to your English, I found it to be very good; in fact, if you had not mentioned that it is not your maiden tongue I might have looked past it altogether. Some people like suggestions for how to improve their ability, so I hope you are one of them. My primary perception of misuse was your use of "integrity", I wouldn't say the definition doesn't fit but it doesn't sit well in that context, at least in my dialect. I would expect "entirety" to be a suitable replacement. If I were to use "integrity", I would type it as "...maintaining the integrity of C++ (or at least as close as you can come to that goal)" the bracketed portion is primarily my personal style, what is most important is the part of the sentence before the brackets.

Well, I hate to seem as though I am over-scrutinizing, I just hoped that I could help you along with your learning.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:05 AM

Do not worry, I always appreciate suggestions! I'm fourteen years old, English is my second language and I've got plenty of time to improve it! Thank you for showing me how to properly phrase that idea.
I wish you good luck with learning C++! If you ever need more resources, please, do contact me - I like gathering all sorts of tutorials to help myself along the way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nasal Demon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:42 AM

Learning your first programming language is quite a challenge (but not really all that hard, I could do it - surely you can too), so it means that you'll have to invest some time in it. Since time is pretty valuable, you might consider telling us what you want to do with your new-gained knowledge. ;) Are you interested in making web apps? Or maybe games? Or GUI software? Or you just want to learn programming to get the ideas, data structures, and then decide what to do next?
Knowing that we might try steering you in the right direction. :)

About C++ - see C and C++ forums here, and be sure to check out pinned topics. Also some links in my signature - C++ FAQ Lite's entry about learning C++ would be an instant choice for "what to see first". It has some great books on the subject mentioned.
Don't try to learn programming as fast as you can ("Learn XXX in 10 days!"), and don't skip basics until you understand them. Practice is very important too - you want to practice things you learn, because that's the only way you will really understand them.
At some point, things will fall in place and you'll be able to tell yourself that you really know some stuff. You'll also start seeing that there are tons more that you don't know. It's constant learning experience... ;)
Still, after things will "click" for you, and you'll be at advanced level with some language and general concepts, then learning another language will be much less difficult. ;)

This post has been edited by Xupicor: 10 November 2012 - 05:44 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1