Wayback Machine

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2

22 Replies - 3442 Views - Last Post: 10 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

#1 Aphex19  Icon User is offline

  • Born again Pastafarian.
  • member icon

Reputation: 615
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,873
  • Joined: 02-August 09

Wayback Machine

Post icon  Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

*
POPULAR

I came across a site which has cached 150 billion webpages dating all the way back to 1996.

Wayback Machine

Here's some potentially interesting sites I found.

DIC 2001
Google Beta 1998
YouTube 2005
MSN 1996
Myspace 1996

Nostalgia aside, it's actually a really useful site. Maybe the site is old news to many of you, but have you got any recommended pages to visit?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 5
  • +

Replies To: Wayback Machine

#2 AnalyticLunatic  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover

Reputation: 221
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,030
  • Joined: 25-June 12

Re: Wayback Machine

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

I personally have never heard of this! Thanks for sharing Aphex19! ^^

With how fast the web is evolving and expanding these days, it's amazing how much a site can change over even just a few months!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

  • Pancakes!
  • member icon


Reputation: 7774
  • View blog
  • Posts: 13,140
  • Joined: 19-March 11

Re: Wayback Machine

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

Funny, I remember when this launched. At the time, I was thinking "what a crazy idea, to archive all of this crap. Who will ever want it?"
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#4 jjsaw5  Icon User is offline

  • I must break you
  • member icon

Reputation: 90
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,060
  • Joined: 04-January 08

Re: Wayback Machine

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

Very cool thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 AnalyticLunatic  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover

Reputation: 221
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,030
  • Joined: 25-June 12

Re: Wayback Machine

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 09 November 2012 - 10:44 AM, said:

Funny, I remember when this launched. At the time, I was thinking "what a crazy idea, to archive all of this crap. Who will ever want it?"


Isn't that how most good ideas/startups/etc. begin Jon? With an idea that is completely ridiculous? ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

  • Pancakes!
  • member icon


Reputation: 7774
  • View blog
  • Posts: 13,140
  • Joined: 19-March 11

Re: Wayback Machine

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

Yep. See: Facebook
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 AthenaDX  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular

Reputation: 101
  • View blog
  • Posts: 307
  • Joined: 26-October 12

Re: Wayback Machine

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

It's myspace, without all the crap! :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

  • Pancakes!
  • member icon


Reputation: 7774
  • View blog
  • Posts: 13,140
  • Joined: 19-March 11

Re: Wayback Machine

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

View PostAthenaDX, on 09 November 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

It's myspace, without all the crap! :D/>


With different crap, you mean.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 AnalyticLunatic  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover

Reputation: 221
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,030
  • Joined: 25-June 12

Re: Wayback Machine

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 09 November 2012 - 12:26 PM, said:

View PostAthenaDX, on 09 November 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

It's myspace, without all the crap! :D/>/>


With different crap, you mean.


They're slowly getting their.. Not saying Facebook will in the oncoming years flat fallout, but the first time I heard about them placing ads, I knew the trek downhill had begun.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 AthenaDX  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular

Reputation: 101
  • View blog
  • Posts: 307
  • Joined: 26-October 12

Re: Wayback Machine

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

Well, they used to not have all that crap. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

  • Pancakes!
  • member icon


Reputation: 7774
  • View blog
  • Posts: 13,140
  • Joined: 19-March 11

Re: Wayback Machine

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

View PostAnalyticLunatic, on 09 November 2012 - 02:28 PM, said:

They're slowly getting their.. Not saying Facebook will in the oncoming years flat fallout, but the first time I heard about them placing ads, I knew the trek downhill had begun.


Was there ever a point to Facebook other than selling ads?
"The junk merchant does not sell his product to the consumer, he sells the consumer to the product. He does not improve and simplify his merchandise, he degrades and simplifies the client" This Facebook's raison d'etre.

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 09 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#12 no2pencil  Icon User is online

  • Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

Reputation: 5327
  • View blog
  • Posts: 27,246
  • Joined: 10-May 07

Re: Wayback Machine

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

I've actually used this site to pull an archive for a client.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 AnalyticLunatic  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover

Reputation: 221
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,030
  • Joined: 25-June 12

Re: Wayback Machine

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

I believe the original [ORIGINAL] *The*Facebook had no use for ads. They were simply going to be used to profit from the site.

I in no way claim this to be historically accurate, all known data I have is based off a movie.

Semi-On-Topic:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by AnalyticLunatic: 09 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 Sergio Tapia  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 1253
  • View blog
  • Posts: 4,168
  • Joined: 27-January 10

Re: Wayback Machine

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 09 November 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

View PostAnalyticLunatic, on 09 November 2012 - 02:28 PM, said:

They're slowly getting their.. Not saying Facebook will in the oncoming years flat fallout, but the first time I heard about them placing ads, I knew the trek downhill had begun.


Was there ever a point to Facebook other than selling ads?
"The junk merchant does not sell his product to the consumer, he sells the consumer to the product. He does not improve and simplify his merchandise, he degrades and simplifies the client" This Facebook's raison d'etre.


I can talk to my mother effortlessly on a near daily basis. That would be much harder without a simple ubiquitous to use platform such as Facebook.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 no2pencil  Icon User is online

  • Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

Reputation: 5327
  • View blog
  • Posts: 27,246
  • Joined: 10-May 07

Re: Wayback Machine

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

View PostAnalyticLunatic, on 09 November 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

I believe the original [ORIGINAL] *The*Facebook had no use for ads. They were simply going to be used to profit from the site.

I in no way claim this to be historically accurate, all known data I have is based off a movie.

Facebook was originally for college students only. In '05(ish?) a local computer club I belonged too met at Kent State University, & I remember it being an issue that I couldn't create a Facebook account as I wasn't a student. Not sure what 'profit from sales' you're referring to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2