6 Replies - 583 Views - Last Post: 10 November 2012 - 04:32 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hello, world!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

Hello, world!

I am Silviu-Mădălin Lorenț, and I live in the city of Bucharest, Romania, in the ex-Soviet bloc. I turned fourteen years old mere weeks ago, but I am distant from most members of my age group due to conflicting opinions and interests.
I speak Romanian on a native level, English on a fluent level, French.. badly (intermediate level, really, but forgive me if I somehow end up saying incoherent things) and Latin on a basic level - we have Latin as a school subject, together with all the previously mentioned languages, but we have not learned how to form a sentence in it yet; sometimes, I feel this is just a conspiracy for us to have more history classes!
I've been using the PAWN language for a few years now, for scripting in various games. I've had plenty of fun, but I decided to move to the next step and learn C++. As PAWN has a C-like syntax, I hope the learning curve will not be very steep! I'm sure I'll eventually need help, so I've joined a community of fellow coders to learn more and maybe to help others. I doubt that I'll be able to, though!
I also know HTML - markup languages are awesome! - and I have some basic knowledge of Javascript - I never really got to use Javascript, though, so my knowledge on it might be of a worse level than I think it is...

Anyway, I'm here to ask questions!
Many, many questions - but, if you're curious about me, just ask me anything you'd like!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hello, world!

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hello, world!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

Welcome to dreamincode, We've many experts here to help you in programming!

This post has been edited by Hooker: 09 November 2012 - 11:50 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Nasal Demon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:46 AM

If you're into C++ then I suppose I'll see you at C and C++ forums, since that's the place I visit most. ;)
Buckle up, it can be a bumpy ride at first, but it sure is worth it. Also check out Tutorials here, and some of my links. Amit's place for example has some articles that are programming oriented - like how to finish a game. I think everyone should read that at least once, not just people who want to make games. ;)

And Latin? How awesome is that? :>

Welcome aboard, and have fun learning!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

Thank you for the warm welcome, guys!

Xupicor, you're definitely going to see me on the C++ board! I'll try not to spam it with questions, but I can't really promise, so watch out! Thank you very much for the resources, by the way - I'm going to start reading ASAP!
I'm really enjoying C++ so far, even to the point where I can say that I'm in love with it - is that rare to hear? I'm used to the lovely syntax from PAWN, I have basic knowledge of object-oriented programming from Javascript and defining variable data types (char, int, double, float...) so.. simply is awesome. (PAWN's a typeless language.)

Also, Latin is awesome, indeed. Perhaps it isn't of that much use generally in the present, but I love tracing back the origins of my native language. I wish my Latin teacher could give better explanations, though; I can't understand some things as well as I'd like to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nasal Demon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:27 AM

Well, I love C++ as well. It doesn't mean it's perfect, oh no... C++ is like a basket of roses, it can look beautiful and smell nice when you handle it well, but if you're not careful you can get your hands all in scratches. (Didn't want to mention the bloody massacre as not to scare you off. Oh, wait...)

C++ as you might know has a kind of relationship with C, and so there's a popular saying:

in C it's fairly easy to "shoot yourself in the foot" (metaphorically speaking), whereas in C++ it's harder to shoot yourself in the foot, but when you do, you usually blow your whole leg off.

See shooting link, too. ;)

Oh, and about that saying:

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off". Yes, I said something like that (in 1986 or so). What people tend to miss, is that what I said there about C++ is to a varying extent true for all powerful languages. As you protect people from simple dangers, they get themselves into new and less obvious problems. Someone who avoids the simple problems may simply be heading for a not-so-simple one. One problem with very supporting and protective environments is that the hard problems may be discovered too late or be too hard to remedy once discovered. Also, a rare problem is harder to find than a frequent one because you don't suspect it.

See Stroustrup FAQ under "Did you really say that?"
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:45 AM

Oh my! This whole 'shooting yourself in the foot' deal truly made my day! Thank you, once again!
I'll take care, and I promise to shoot myself in the foot properly - I'd like to keep my leg on afterwards!

Don't worry, however. When I set a goal, I intend to reach it. Nothing will scare me off - if I want to learn C++, I will. That's my mentality, and I don't intend to change anytime soon!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nasal Demon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:32 AM

Ah, don't worry too much about it, legs grow back. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1