6 Replies - 6996 Views - Last Post: 11 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Cannot open jGRASP

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

Hello all. I recently got a new computer and need jGRASP. I followed all the onscreen instructions from this website, http://users.csc.cal...rences/gcc.html And so far everything has been right.

Now, I installed jGRASP. When I open it, I get this error:

Unable to locate a Java executable. Java 6 or 7 (1.6 or 1.7) must be installed to run jGRASP.

If Java is installed, you may need to add the bin directory of the installation to your PATH environment variable.

This error is leaving me scratching my head. I installed Java, I have done everything as instructed by the link above, but I have no idea what this error means. Can someone help me? I googled this message, but I haven't found the answer anywhere.

NOTE: If this helps, I am running Windows 8.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Cannot open jGRASP

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Cannot open jGRASP

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

Can anyone help me, please? Sorry about double posting, but I really do not understand the error I got, nor do I know what I am supposed to do. :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

Control panel -> system properties -> advanced tab -> environment variable -> system variable section.. add the line there to what you have installed. It should have been taken care of when you installed it.

http://docs.oracle.c...ment/paths.html
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

What do I need to add, specifically?

C\:Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin

Is that right?

Also, is "Path" supposed to be all caps in the Environment Variable tab? "Path" or "PATH"?

EDIT: Does it make a difference that I am running Windows 8? When I downloaded Java, it read that Java would only work in Desktop mode.

This post has been edited by Mr2012: 11 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

I have zero idea what you even installed or where you would have installed it.

As it is if you just google your error text all sorts of examples show up for java 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, and 1.7. Pick one and go.

http://ist.berkeley....va-sdk-win.html

https://www.youtube....h?v=oowsJcJLmss
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

Sorry, I didn't choose where Java can be installed. I just choose to install it and it does its thing.

I downloaded the latest version of Java from Oracle's website. It was installed in Program Files (x86) on my computer. I made a CLASSPATH variable last night and did this

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin

And that didn't fix the error. I did Google my problem, that was the first thing I did, but no answers. I also uninstalled Java and reinstalled it just now, but that didn't fix the problem.

Does running Windows 8 effect the Java installation? When I was gonna install it, it read Java would only work in Desktop mode. It makes sense, since that's all I need Java for, since jGRASP is in Desktop mode, but I don't know what is wrong.

EDIT: I came across an answer on Yahoo. Java needs to be installed before jGRASP. I uninstalled both jGRASP and Java, then installed Java and jGRASP... still getting the same error message. Before uninstalling, I removed the CLASSPATH variable I did. I don't know what I'm doing wrong now.

This post has been edited by Mr2012: 11 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

I finally got it to work!

I opened the jGRASP folder in my computer, clicked the jgrasp file in the jGRASP folder, then chose to run it in Java. I still can't open it on my desktop for some reason, but just getting jGRASP to open is enough for now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1