6 Replies - 1643 Views - Last Post: 13 November 2012 - 02:24 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Beginner seeking for Advice

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:23 AM

hello,
am gonna tell you "what am i" so maybe you can help me to find the right path to start cause i really don't know what to do now.

First of all i want to say that am not a complete beginner in programming , i was in computer science section at high school where we did programming and algorithm for 3 years, and now am at the 1st year in college, also in the Computer Science department, we are learning "C" but the process is very slow and they are
"re-teaching" us everything from the beginning which i really hated :(/> .

I have a great patient for games and actually i made a couple of flash games, I've been working with flash for more than 2 years and i really enjoyed it, i even made websites and games and get payed for them, but i don't want to make flash games anymore, not because i don't like flash, but i don't want to be "restricted" by flash, i don't know if you are following me here, but the thing is that i want to be a real programmer not just a flash developer, i want to create my own tools to make my own games and applications, in other therm i want to create a game from A to Z , so am sure that i don't need a book or a Tutorial that told me how an if statement or a for loop works.
I looked in many other forums to get a good starting point and mostly all of them said :
"know what you are doing->pick a language->start making your game"

well, i know what am doing and i already picked the language, C++, or maybe C# is more recommended for game development but i have a "feeling" who tell me that it is better to start with C++,
now the "start making game" step, here am completely blocked, i don't even know how to write a "Hello world" C++ program, yes i know that i had to learn c++ statements and keywords, but i dunno, i just can't found where to start.

I hope that you can found me a good book, website or even videos to start with, cause am really lost here, and please don't forget that my main focus is gonna be for game developing but also i may want to do some application and utility someday so for all the professional programmer here, feel free to put me on the right path :tank:/>

anyway :whistling:/> ...

thank you very much for your attention, have a nice day.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Beginner seeking for Advice

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Beginner seeking for Advice

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

now the "start making game" step, here am completely blocked, i don't even know how to write a "Hello world" C++ program, yes i know that i had to learn c++ statements and keywords, but i dunno, i just can't found where to start.

Time to sit down and start learning C++ then with some simpler practice problems. We have a pinned thread on C/C++ Books.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

In addition to mac's recommendation, in order to write games in C/C++ you will have to also learn the little quirks and general 'gotchas' of the languages in order to know how to properly structure your code and avoid horrible bugs.

It also concerns me that you should be bored in your C class that is going over the language. Even when I was learning I went over the basics again and again until it became second nature, so get used to it.

Lastly, game development is generally about finding your own path because you learn as you go. I get the feeling that you are trying to get people to literally direct your path rather than guide you - this is the quickest way to failure when making games. Find your own way and look to those who are experienced to 'tidy up' and straighten your path to learning.

Second lastly, you have set a very tall order for yourself. Take your time and be mindful that you will have to work extremely hard to achieve the tasks you have set yourself. Will you do it? Only time will tell, but it's all up to you and no one else.

Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

thank you,
all what you said was convincing and helpful.
Am gonna take your advice ans start learning C++ then try to follow some game source or tutorial to get on the way, am gonna start with This Book
and for C, it said that all the C language is included in C++ so learning c++ will not be equal to learning C but however it still do the most part of the job .

one last thing (consider it this as a "personnel" request)
am living in a country (Tunisia) where game development is not something that you can live with , in other word, there is absolutely ZERO opportunity to find a job as a game programmer here,
i know that this is very off-topic but am really dreaming to be a game programmer (for real, i dreamed about it ;) ) i always wanted to study in a special school for games or any college where they provide some game programs (like DigiPen institute of Technology)
bit the thing is that am only living with my mom, and her salary as a nurse doesn't surpass 350$ which is largely insufficient to send me to pay my needs in a foreign country...

Am sure that you get the main idea here and i wish that you could put some comments or give me an advice about what to do, i will be very grateful, and please don't consider this as rule breaking or something all i want is advice (am afraid to wake up someday and found that all what i learned is useless {yes am talking about job} and then i will lost all my motivation, hate the world, close my door, and hang myself... just kidding :P )

again, thank you guys for your help,
enjoy your day
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

Start emailing the schools and look for a scholarships. Understand if you do go off to school on a full ride scholarship you more than likely will not be working in your native country while in the industry.

Advice - look for funding through scholarships, Tunsinian government grants, etc. Accept you won't be working in Tunisia. Make sure you have your travel papers arranged. Be quick to look for internships or part time jobs when in school.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 12 November 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

Start emailing the schools and look for a scholarships. Understand if you do go off to school on a full ride scholarship you more than likely will not be working in your native country while in the industry.

i tried to do that (i past the whole summer looking and am still searching till now)
the thin is that to get a scolarship or any financial aids you need to be accepted and to be accepted you need complete all the process including the interview or anything that require your presence and to do that you need to travel so you need a VISA and you can't get tour VISA if you don't have money to spend and house to live, so somehow am turning in a cycle that will never end

modi123_1, on 12 November 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

Advice - look for funding through scholarships, Tunsinian government grants, etc. Accept you won't be working in Tunisia. Make sure you have your travel papers arranged. Be quick to look for internships or part time jobs when in school.

it's impossible the country in a complete critical situation (economic and political) so nope i don't think that anything like that can happened

thank you

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 13 November 2012 - 02:09 PM
Reason for edit:: fixed botched quote tags

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

So your options are to give up and find a different career, or start getting a funky disco jive step to start working angles.

If you can't get into Fullsail or who ever in the US then how about a comp sci degree from your area's school? Maybe even one from somewhere online?

Are you even certain they need you there in person for the interview? For example, with Fullsail, that is just about equal to talking to a guidance counselor... and more than likely is a phone interview. The VISA will be needed when you go.

See.. not so darn bad.

Still feeling defeatist and don't want to get a general comp sci degree? Fine - go learn on your own. Examine the curriculum of these schools and make your own self learning schedule. Do an end-run-around on the degree with a massive portfolio.

Where to work? It seems there are some IT jobs (and even a game company) in your neck of the woods. If you are dead set on working in Tunisia then how about this - carve out your own game making company. Petition the government with a well thought out business plan and proposal and make a go at it.

http://www.tunisiait.com
http://www.tunisia-l...-digital-mania/

http://www.universit...ml#.UKK4a4bDBI0

http://www.fullsail....ssions/overview
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1