6 Replies - 2469 Views - Last Post: 14 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What laptop to get ?

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:28 AM

Hi guys,

I need your opinion. I want to buy a laptop and I don't know which one to get.
I am interested between HP or Dell. My budget is from 450-500$. Also if you know a better configuration or a better laptop feel free to write.

HP Pavilion g6t-2200 Notebook PC
2nd generation Intel® Core™ i3-2370M Processor (2.4 GHz)
1GB AMD Radeon™ HD 7670M Discrete-Class Graphics
4GB DDR3 System Memory (1 Dimm)
500GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
HP Pavilion g6t-2200

Dell Inspiron 15 Notebook (Inspiron 3520)
2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i3-2350M (3M Cache, 2.3 GHz)
Intel® HD Graphics 3000
4GB Single Channel DDR3 1600MHz
500GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive
Dell Inspirion 15 (3520)

I need my laptop for programming, because in my Faculty I am studying computer science and engineering. Also the next semester I want to take 3D-animation, so I want my laptop to support Maja or Autodesk 3d Max.

Currently I have hp omninbook xe4500 and I had no problem with CodeBlock, but when I started to learn HTML/CSS/JavaSript I started using Aptana and the performance on this hardware was like hell. Also when I take Java I had the same problem with NetBeans and I am still having it with Eclipse now.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What laptop to get ?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What laptop to get ?

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

without knowing what you have done to your Omnibook I am going to say *ANYTHING* should be an improvement. The base specs on an Omnibook were: Pentium 4-M 1.7 GHz, 256 MB RAM, 30 GB HDD and is what... a better part of ten years old?

http://www.cnet.com/...7-20001966.html

If you are going into 3d animation for a class I would suggest the HP with the decent video card and to throw in more RAM when you get it. It looks like it can upgrade to 8gb of DDR3.. that won't be a bad idea.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

I'm going to echo modi and suggest the HP, it has a dedicated video card which will be a near requirement for autocad or any kind of 3d modeling.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:30 AM

Try this
http://reviews.cnet....7-3121_7-6.html

Asus Zenbook looks like a good catch.It is an ultrabook.
http://reviews.cnet....101502_23442755

Alternately
http://reviews.cnet....1000036_2792031

Read the reviews and take your pick.

This post has been edited by rnty: 28 November 2012 - 01:31 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:09 AM

Yeah the HP laptop is a good machine, but the company is going down, which means if you have problems the customer support with slowly start going good. I mean from what I have seen/heard from some PC Gurus around my city, they said to not get my HP Laptop fixed because it would just be a waste. I mean of course they could be wrong, but I haven't done much research, I should be doing more research before I give out advice, but I am pretty confident from what I have heard.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

View PostTyler Ltd, on 04 January 2013 - 04:09 AM, said:

Yeah the HP laptop is a good machine, but the company is going down, which means if you have problems the customer support with slowly start going good. I mean from what I have seen/heard from some PC Gurus around my city, they said to not get my HP Laptop fixed because it would just be a waste. I mean of course they could be wrong, but I haven't done much research, I should be doing more research before I give out advice, but I am pretty confident from what I have heard.

You should have done your research, HP isn't going out of business they are just going to stop producing units that don't make them money. So if you go for some obscure PC no one really buys (good luck finding one in a mass market situation) hp is still a good choice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

I would recommend shopping around. Don't settle for an I3 processor when looking at the Dell laptops. I had a relative purchase a laptop for about this same price range and he got an I5 loaded laptop just a few weeks ago. I would have problems with anybody purchasing an HP product. While the performance between the HP and Dells are very close. The problem you will most likely run into with the HP products is support after the sale. I do a lot of work at a local facility that went and changed from Dell products to HP products. I have heard nothing but complaints about the time it takes to get their stuff fixed. I have seen HP's just sitting in their office while the owner waits to get a part so their computer can get fixed. I have seen computers sitting around for a week or more. I had a friend of mine show me a computer that HP had been sent out to fix 4 to 5 times, and never got it to work. I will agree with one of the posters, HP is not going out of business they were just trying to find a buyer of the Laptop and Desktop line, yes according to the news reports they were trying to sell of the entire lines. HP just couldn't find anybody to buy the lines from them at the price they wanted to sell them, that was according to news. IBM did this a few years back, they sold off their desktop and laptop lines to a China based company "Lenovo".
Just keep in mind that no matter which laptop you purchase, make sure you get the best warrenty package you can afford.
Over the last month or so I have seen some pretty good deals from Toshiba and a few other companies. All have good reputations and may also be worth considering. The key is to setout with a list of requirements (memory, processor speed, processor cores, processor cache size, # of USB, Video connections for external video use(CAD looks really cool when pushed through an HDMI connector to a 50" TV, not to mention the games), 64bit OS or 32bit OS, and what ever else you needs call for). You can then work the system into your price by working with these wants/needs. I wouldn't stick to just HP or Dell. I may be partial to Dell, but my girlfriend just had me go laptop shopping with her and she came home with a Toshiba laptop, which I talked her into, because it met her needs and was in her price range. It had comparable specs to the HP's and Dell's, but was cheaper. She actually saved enough money on the cost of her laptop that she bought a nice printer as well.

The key is it is your purchase. You should get what you want and not what is being offered to you, because that is what the retail store has in stock. Keep in mind as well, that most major companies have departments where you can purchase preowned laptops at really reduced prices. They also come with service agreements. Just call which ever company you decide to go with and see if they have any of the model you are looking to buy. I have a number of friends of mine that have purchased some pretty high end laptops by calling the company and buying from them direct.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1