12 Replies - 3418 Views - Last Post: 14 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

I'm going to end up being a (really) super senior...

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

And this is why. I have changed my major probably 3-4 times. This time around, I thought it was set in stone I was going to get a BS in computer science/mathematics, only to find that mathematics is not my biggest forte. I am currently taking calc I, and this may be due to the instructor, but I am not doing as well as I would have hoped. All our grades are based on exams. I may have to withdraw even from this course. Also I haven't been the fondest about the hardware CS classes. Maybe CS/mathematics is not for me, as much as mathematics fascinates me. However, I'm unfortunately getting in the mindset that this field is for the really bright, honors math kids (I was a really average student in high school, and had several academic slumps in early college).

This time around, I am 21, and should be a senior by definition. I was thinking about becoming a web development student at my college (the same college, of course, not some knock-off trade). This program is online, so I would have greater flexibility time-wise.

I should be in my last two semesters with my peers, but this is not going to happen. I believe I have all of the general education requirements for the web dev program. I would just have to take a bunch of development courses.

Anyone else ever been on the same boat? I'm going to be in college for quite a while longer, even for undergrad.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I'm going to end up being a (really) super senior...

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: I'm going to end up being a (really) super senior...

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

Some people in Europe start uni when they are 21-22 cuz of military stuff. No big deal. Study something that will at least help you land a dream job when you graduate.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

I started college 4 years late...

Also, my university is very small, and only offers certain classes every 3 years.

Ill be a senior for about a year and a half
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:01 AM

It's not a big deal. I'm 22 and still in community college ( switched colleges half way through and many credits didn't transfer). As for computer programming not being your thing because you're not a math wiz I wouldn't let that hold me back. I got average grades in high school but programming is a passion of mine. I'm not brilliant mathematically but if I have to improve that skill I will. I might have to work 10 times harder than the other kids in my class to get it but I want to be a programmer so that's what I'll do if need be.

Best of luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

I'm a about a year late. It will take me 5 years to graduate. I am in the same boat: I am not good at math. I was in high school, but I failed calc 1 the first time. Calc 2 was extremely hard but I somehow passed with a B-. Got a C in physics 1 and will have to take it over again this semester because I need a 3.0 gpa to get into the college of computer science. I'm a junior. However, I try to look at at this way, it's more time for me to craft my skills, more time for me to get a decent internship.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

24 and I'm in 3rd year (BS in CS) ... well I couldn't register this semester for car issues, so I'm BACK to 3rd year in August. Nothing wrong with it I think.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

Yes, I'm in the same boat. Will probably wallow in despair and eventually commit suicide due to poverty and self-anguish.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

If you're struggling, good. Life isn't easy, not everyone will naturally have things come to them. Unfulfilled genius is nearly proverbial, hard work is where it counts. Suck it up, grow a spine, and get it done. It is both that simple and that difficult.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:11 AM

Some of the worst students I have met are the ones who are in a rush to graduate.

I didn't even think of CS until my second year in college. I was working on a French minor before that.

I'm going to be a super senior next year and it was the best decision I made.

Why? Because giving myself another year to finish school made it possible for me to get an internship that is only for current undergrads.

This post has been edited by carnivroar: 11 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

I started college at 25 due to a military stint. Am 27 now and not even finished with my associates due to changing majors twice. Will be lucky to have my B.S as I turn 30.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

Ha! I have you all beat. I am almost 35 and still haven't finished my associates degree in web development. I went to an uncredited tech school that was supposed to prepare me to become a MCSE when I was 20, never used my "certificate" and always planned to go back to college, but never found the time. I am starting from scratch. Don't worry. You guys have plenty of time. I know 45 year olds who just got their accounting degrees.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

I am in a similar boat OP. I started community college right after high school and dicked around for awhile. I had no idea what individual classes I wanted to take, let alone what I wanted a degree in. For two years I bounced from general Business Administration to Nursing to Accounting back to Business Administration and I was miserable. I finished my 2-year degree in 2.5 years and applied for "real" college and luckily got accepted to a pretty nice school.
Now, I have always been a computer guy, but never really got too technical with it. But in short, I don't feel comfortable without a computer on (I'm sure some of you can relate :P)I tried teaching myself C++ and...it didn't go so well. So I tried starting A+ cert ("start small!" i told myself) and I got bored after the first lesson in my book.
So, when I got my acceptance letter I decided to take Computer Science because it made perfect sense!!!
However, my school's CS degree runs on a pretty strict path, with ~2 classes per semester and each new class requires the 2 from the last semester, so I'm gonna end up with a ~6 year Bachelor's degree lol

It's not so bad though, like Lemur said struggling is good. It builds character!

Oh, and this is my first post on DIC, hi everyone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• |>|20-514<|{3|2

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Well, i'm 25 and started when I was 20. I had my associates 3 credits away when I was 22 before I transferred and lost 50 of my 60 credits, basically started over, got my A.S. of Mathematics and am currently pursuing a B.S. Computer Engineering, but still have about 2 years left. Depending on how classes fall since some of them are offered every other fall of odd years (yeah, o,O). But I do notice since I have kind of started over, I was able to take my time and really gather the information I missed during my first set of 60+ credits, so I know Calc I-III really really good and Diff Eq as well as Linear Algebra.

I would really suggest taking your time learning Statistics and Probability for engineers. Don't rush this class. I took it in a 3 week course over the summer and regret it every day during this semester. All but one of my classes require a ton of statistics (Pattern recognition, Analysis of Algorithms and Math of CS).

So don't give up, I was a very average student in HS and didn't even get past geometry before going to college. I actually accidentally fell into the mathematics since I decided I wanted to be a CS or CE major and had no idea that it required so much mathematics. Now I enjoy it. I failed Calc I the first time as well. Some times it takes a bit of extra time for it to 'click' as they say.

Keep at it. It's worth the struggle.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1