3 Replies - 417 Views - Last Post: 20 November 2012 - 02:28 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

how to install a php website like a software

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

Hi,

I want to install a web site like a software. I mean like we install xampp. I want to run a installer for a web site. then user should not be able to configure database or any other configuration related to php. I know this is not directly related to programming but I want to do this easily.

If I can do this easily I can show my websites to customers easily. (without installing xampp, configuring php, setting file permission and etc).This should be able to do because when xampp is installed first time (if we allow to install as services) then we can navigate to localhost.

Can anybody give me hint or help to do this.

thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: how to install a php website like a software

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: how to install a php website like a software

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

You are essentially saying "I have this package of open source highly configurable pieces of software and I don't want anyone to be able to configure them". Half the strength in PHP and Apache is the fact that they are configurable. You wouldn't want to prevent future configuration anyways. Your customers will want the option to edit configuration options as their machine changes or if they run into performance issues.

But if they own or have root access to the server, no you can't prevent them from configuring things. If you host the site yourself you can lock away things like the php.ini.

If you are wanting to prevent this type of stuff, you should not be looking at a suite of open source technologies designed to be configurable and customizable.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

This would be sort of a wasted effort if you only intend to use it to show your customers your websites. It would make a lot more sense to just put the website on a public host and send the clients a link. If you don't want it to be visible to the public, you can restrict access to it by configuring it in the HTTP server. In servers like Apache, you can simply set a username and password that must be entered before you can access the site. (Look up .htaccess access control.)

With that said, you can of course create an installer to install all the server software and the files for you website. XAMPP and WAMP take care of all the hard parts of that for you anyway, so all you'd need to do is create an application that triggers the XAMPP/WAMP installer, and when that is done copies your files into the htdocs folder.

Just to say this, though. Apache and MySQL are servers. They are not meant to be installed on client computers, especially not for users that likely have no idea what that even means. Those of us that develop server-side applications sometimes install them on our computers, but we are aware of what that means.

If you are planing to install these servers on your client's computers, you will also have to make it easy for them to remove it!

Also, as a site note. PHP is an interpreted language. It's not easy to make interpreted languages hard to configure. You can obfuscate them to a point, but even with that, things like strings used for configuration options can't be mangled to much without them becoming useless. They can always be edited by a determined user. The only way to keep PHP code from being modified is to not give users access to them.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:28 AM

thanks for your lengthy answers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1