2 Replies - 2154 Views - Last Post: 17 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

accessing a remote server

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

I'm working on a project with some friends. One of the friends owns the server and has it running in his house. I need a way to access it. I heard I could use SSH or teamviewer for the job, but I'm unsure on what I should use and I don't want to go through the process of installing something, setting it up, and finding it to be not what I needed. Desktop viewing isn't necessary, but that'd be a big plus. The server is running the latest version of Fedora.

Any ideas?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: accessing a remote server

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: accessing a remote server

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

First of all, does he have it setup with an IP, is it listening on a specific port and is that port not blocked by a firewall (router or software or both)?

To test if this is the case, have him give you the IP address and try to ping it. Open a Command window and type "ping <ipaddress>".

Once you have determined that you can even reach it, the next question is "What are you accessing?" is it an FTP server? A game server? A web server? What software did he setup on it? Is it running web server software? Is it using an FTP daemon? Are you wanting to connect to it for a game?

All these answers will tell you how you need to connect to it and if you need to install any software. For instance if he is running it using a web server software, then you don't need to install anything, just hit it with your browser... aka http://<ipaddress>

If he is running an FTP service, you may want to install an FTP client like cuteftp or filezilla.

:)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 15 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: accessing a remote server

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

If you use ssh, you'll need to edit the files on the server with a text editor such as vi or emacs. Martyr2's suggestion of ftp makes more sense, unless you like that kind of thing. You could also use git.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1