5 Replies - 648 Views - Last Post: 18 November 2012 - 04:29 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Graphic Libraries and GTK#

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

Basically, I'm one of those crazy people who decided to create a computer game. I even found a half dozen other crazy people to collaborate with me to share the load.

The sticky point is our user interface. We are trying to give our game multi-platform support. Those coding on Windows are using Visual Studio, and those on OSx or Linux are using Mono. Despite theoretical compatibility, our first UI attempt (.Net WinForm + OpenTK) had massive bugs in the form layout on the unix flavored operating systems.

So I wrote a GTK UI replacement for the WinForm UI for use on Macs/Linux. A bit tedious, but straight forward. Now I'm stuck on graphics rendering. The simple solution is the Cairo 2D graphics library. 2D sprite rendering is the most we were planing on using initially, but we were hoping to eventually replace the sprites with 3D unit modes.

Cairo probably isn't good for 3D. OpenTK appears to have support issues with Macs. The Tao framework appears not to have updated since 2005.

So... what Graphics Library would you recommended for C#, run on MacOSX/Linux, and to be ideally embedded within a GTK# application?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Graphic Libraries and GTK#

#2 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Graphic Libraries and GTK#

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

I'm going to move this to the game programming forum, since this isn't the typical kind of question we usually help with in this area.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

Seeing as you are already savvy with C# gave you looked into Unity3D? You can code up a UI pretty easily using that, and it is cross-platform.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for the tip and the vote of confidence. I hadn't heard of Unity3D before, and as first impression go I'm both impressed... and a bit worried that is too much overkill.

I'm not exactly a savvy C# coder. I'm more of a savvy C/C++ coder who is using this game project to force myself to learn C#, which I keep hearing is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Further, coming from a low-level C background the idea of high-level graphic model design and rendering is a little intimidating. To me, coding a simple physics engine sounds easier, which is what we might be doing anyway. We're writing a space 4x game where the smallest objects tracked are meter wide missiles that could be billions of km apart. I'm not sure how well Unity could handle those scales, and the idea of using a full game engine like Unity3D only for graphic rendering feels a little silly.

Still, I'm relieved to know that we at least have a cross-platform 3D option to consider. :bigsmile:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

You might want to look into the SDL C# wrappers http://cs-sdl.sourceforge.net/.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

View PostSublight, on 18 November 2012 - 06:46 PM, said:

Thanks for the tip and the vote of confidence. I hadn't heard of Unity3D before, and as first impression go I'm both impressed... and a bit worried that is too much overkill.

Unity3D shows you its potential, but there is no reason why you cant go simple with it. I admit I'm no big fan of it either, but if you are not used to writing games it is worthwhile considering.

I'm not exactly a savvy C# coder. I'm more of a savvy C/C++ coder who is using this game project to force myself to learn C#, which I keep hearing is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Further, coming from a low-level C background the idea of high-level graphic model design and rendering is a little intimidating. To me, coding a simple physics engine sounds easier, which is what we might be doing anyway. We're writing a space 4x game where the smallest objects tracked are meter wide missiles that could be billions of km apart. I'm not sure how well Unity could handle those scales, and the idea of using a full game engine like Unity3D only for graphic rendering feels a little silly.

Well, it wouldn't be up to Unity to handle those scales, it would be up to how you write your algorithms that tell Unity what to do. It's a rendering engine over anything else.

Still, I'm relieved to know that we at least have a cross-platform 3D option to consider. :bigsmile:/>

Awesome. I still would consider incorporating it into your project, it will save you a lot of time! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1