3 Replies - 950 Views - Last Post: 21 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

very slow microsoft word doc

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

Hello,

I've been working on a very long document in microsoft word that consists of various sections of other word documents that have been copied and pasted into this new one. Since I've began on the document, microsoft word has gradually been getting slower and slower. There's nothing wrong with any other application on my computer and the problem is only with this specific document in word. I've never encountered this problem before but i've never copied so much stuff into one document before. Does anyone have any advice to fix this problem?? I read in an article I found that sometimes a document can get messed up if you copy and paste from a lot of other documents and the format gets messed up some how because of some hidden symbols(I forget what they are called but it looks like this ()). I found no advice for fixing it however. It's gotten so slow that's it's a real hassle to modify any part of it now. :(/>

Thanks in advance for your help

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: very slow microsoft word doc

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: very slow microsoft word doc

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

Yeah there is probably back formatting mucking up the doc... well that and depending how many images and how long that could be a factor as well.

What are you copying into there? If you want a quick way to sanitize formatting copy text from where ever, paste it into a notepad doc, and then copy it back off notepad to paste into your word doc.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

After you take modi's advice, think about going through the document and applying styles instead of ad hoc formatting. This will make it a bit easier to keep the document as a whole looking sensible.
It'll take a while on a huge document, but it'll be worth it in the long run.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for the fast response. It's a bunch of tables combined to make one big 70+ page table. I don't think the table formatting will survive copying to notepad unfortunately, if it was just text that would be great. I'll look into applying styles.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1