5 Replies - 910 Views - Last Post: 20 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Potential Promotion

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

Hello fellow DIC Heads,

I've been running a call center for over a year now. During this time I was given a large block of data (customers over multiple years). It seemed unmanageable until I employed programming techniques and made it into something manageable. The owner of the franchise recently found out about this and loved what I did. He came to me with big ideas (difficult but approachable problems). I would love to turn software engineering into a career, so this is a great opportunity for me. I'm not going to do this for free, so I was wondering how much I should ask for that is reasonable? The scope of each project is fairly large: about a month to two months. I don't have a degree in any science, yet. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Potential Promotion

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Potential Promotion

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

You should be looking in the 'freelancing' section here.. http://www.dreaminco...02-freelancing/

Is this one the job sort of work or side work?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

Thanks I'll look through that forum.

I guess it would depend how often they'll need me. I'm in a good enough standing with them to ask if they'd like to make a full time position. I have no problem working at home in my free time, if I'm making money. I just don't want to pitch a number too low, and regret it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

Wait.. are you trying to make a case for them to create a job for you? You know as a permanent employee? If that's the case look at jobsites for your area and see what people are making.. salary.com is another good spot as well. Aggregate some of the numbers and there you go. If this is all side work then that's a different story.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:32 AM

Sounds like you're inventing a new position at your company - in that case, your boss doesn't have any better idea of what's "reasonable" than you do. Your boss is going to be much more conservative right now than you want to deal with. I'd suggest you think about making the first one a trial run, and think more about development process, and how you go about creating software at your company, and take only a small raise for the time being.
This way, you can get your feet wet in actually doing software, and when things go wrong - and they will - you're not on the hook for lot of huge promises. However it works out, you now have two software development projects on your resume, so if the boss balks at negotiating a better rate, you are better positioned to move along. Right now, you're a help desk technician who wrote something. In three months, you want to be a programmer who used to be a help desk technician.
Once you get that, you want to research the job market, put out resumes, and then tell your boss "I have offers from these four companies at these salaries, and this is the raise I'd require to stay with you".

I hate to have to say it, but this also leaves you a graceful fallback in case it turns out that your next project goes into the ditch - a very serious possibility for a single-developer project in a company with no software development culture, expertise or experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

What an amazing bit of insight. Thanks so much.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1