• (4 Pages)
  • +

45 Replies - 2860 Views - Last Post: 03 December 2012 - 07:32 AM

• Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Steam Autum Sale 2012

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

Strangely enough, I've managed to come out of this one mostly unscathed. Just the $2.50 for KOTOR 2. Everything on there that I couldn't live without, I had picked up over the last nine months in other sales. Not that I wouldn't have bought a tin if I'd had the money to blow, but nothing that can't wait.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

Diablo 3 was awful (imo) but I definitely enjoy SC2. I picked up Torchlight 2 on this sale - they also had Borderlands 2 for REALLY cheap one day, though I preordered it well before it came out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#33 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

z0mg! We can totally friend each other and get an achievement in torchlight2!

Though I am curious how Torchlight2 stacks up against Diablo3.. let me know how that goes when you get some grind time in TL2.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:44 AM

i have donated/purchased the thq bundle only for company of heroes which is amazing strategy game. i pay like 15$ and got 5 games and the bundle is only for 6$ so its a steal. check it if you have not done so yet: http://www.humblebundle.com/

This post has been edited by raziel_: 30 November 2012 - 06:44 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#35 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

It's interesting that THQ's on there.. sure they are raising some cash, but DRM'd games and no indie ones? Interesting change in direction for the humblebundle.

... and of course a large pissy contingent of linux people whining away.
https://plus.google....bleBundle/posts
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 26 November 2012 - 10:39 PM, said:

z0mg! We can totally friend each other and get an achievement in torchlight2!

Though I am curious how Torchlight2 stacks up against Diablo3.. let me know how that goes when you get some grind time in TL2.

Well, it has more skills than Diablo 3, and I like the feel of the game.

HOWEVER.
You can't respec your skills - there's a merchant that will let you undo the last 3 skill points you spent, but that's it.

I thought we were beyond replay-ability by *forcing* me to replay your game. The only way to experiment with new builds is to grind out another character. Also, if you want to have the most points in the highest level spells, you have to gimp yourself until you get there. Finally, You have no way of KNOWING which spells are going to get better with more points or not, and once you do, it's too late to take most of them back.

Totally turned off of TorchLight 2.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#37 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

Eh.. I always like having to make the choices as you go.. the second replay - sure.. I may do things different, but to be able to retool your entire character on the fly rubs me the wrong way... maybe it's engrained D&D character progression mentality.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

I don't need to retool it on the fly. I'm ok with a penalty, cost, cooldown, whatever for a respec. However, there is no added value in having to remake a character because unclear tooltips lead me to believe something would complement another skill, benefit from a certain weapon, etc.

I also don't *want* to play the same class again to try out new skills. There's too much overlap with the early levels, using the same limited skills and playstyle. It feels like a waste of time. "Here's my first mage, and here's the second mage where I didn't fuck up and dump 10 points into that worthless skill. They each took 30 hours to get this high."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#39 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

Ha.. you want to min/max on the run. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

I just don't like being underwhelmed by a choice and then having to replay a game I've already played to remedy it.

Edit: For stories I have no problem replaying the game. I don't save before major choices in games, for example. It's just that EVERY RPG has shitty skills that do absolutely nothing you want them to and finding them can suck.

This post has been edited by xclite: 30 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#41 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

I figured the three skill points rollback seems reasonable... Eh.. so it goes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

I'm finding other reasons to lose interest in the game as well - I may just be outgrowing the mindless dungeon crawl, but I still find the 3 point respec system completely insufficient. I actually had a skill that I didn't want and gained enough levels that if I hadn't made an effort to note when I got the skill, I would have been stuck with it forever.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#43 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

The endless dungeon crawl aspect really is a hit for me. A good bit of burn some time and have some fun.

Bah.. I still think the skill system is fine.. the whole "I made this choice and there's no takesie-backsies" should be required! To hell with the training wheels. Then again I think the lack of perma-death to be a bit of coddling as well. "What? My 19th level mage kicked the bucket because I thought it might be best to proceed further without a health potion instead of taking the minute to go to town to buy a few more, and I have the option to just buy my life back? Sweet!". The game should just throw up a big message saying "your reckless behavior killed your character. Pull out a sheet of paper and roll a new one."

Though if you complete the campaign I could see some fiddling with the levels for just the loot grind, but I may be slipp'n in my old age.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

I don't have time to burn haha. I like a challenge, but having to replay the same stuff (randomizing quests and areas doesn't count as "new") just doesn't seem to be a challenge or entertaining for me.

I prefer to replay a game for a different story experience, different faction, or entirely different playstyle. Different builds for the same class don't do it for me.

I don't rewatch movies and rarely reread books - after the first time it just drives me nuts. For me, when I play a game, if the single player experience doesn't change drastically, I move on to multi (if that's the sort of thing that can keep me interested). I was never a fan of the increasing difficulties of Diablo 2/Diablo 3, for example. Let me just beat it on hard and call it a day. I don't want to replay the same game with enemies that take more clicks to kill.

Different strokes, I suppose. That's why I sometimes use my left hand, to keep things in perspective.

This post has been edited by xclite: 30 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:35 AM

I don't want to replay the same game with enemies that take more clicks to kill.

This is what the Normal | Difficult option was ALL ABOUT in Mega Man 2
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +