4 Replies - 4411 Views - Last Post: 03 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Going for the Blizzard Internship

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

Hey, all, I just wanted to see if anyone had thoughts on applying (and being competitive) for Blizzard internships (Summer 2013). Specifically, the one I'm looking at is Software Engineer Intern, Web:

Level Requirements

Currently pursuing a degree (Bachelorís, Masterís, or PhD) and planning to return to school following the internship
Passion for web development, technology, and the gaming industry
Strong passion for and knowledge of all Blizzard Entertainment video games
Ability to develop and debug using object-oriented programming languages (preferably Java)
Experience working with databases
Knowledge of Web technologies (HTTP, (X)HTML, CSS, Javascript, etc.)

Recommended Talents

Majoring in a related field (computer science, computer engineering, Web engineering, etc.)
Knowledge of SOAP and RESTful web services, message queuing, etc.

I feel like I can offer a lot of that: pursuing an MS in CS (emphasizing software engineering), can write and debug programs in Java and C, am currently enrolled in a grad-level database mgmt class (where I am making consistent As), and have used the Web technologies listed (though less than I'd have liked to, by this point). Plus, I'm taking two classes next semester, in database-driven web sites and XML/web services - the latter of which will cover SOAP and RESTful services, which I've already begun to read about independently. Though I don't have as much under my belt now, by the time the internship begins, I'll have web programming coming out of my nose and ears! :D/>

As for the "passion" requirement, I'm working to develop my skills so that I will become passionate, as a result of being increasingly competent and efficient at the work. I find I tend to enjoy my work more when I feel competent at it, like I can make things flow. For example, here, I've effectively cast my lot (for now) for web programming, so I want to become very competent at that.

As for the "Strong passion for and knowledge of all Blizzard Entertainment video games" requirement, I definitely like the Diablo series, and I'd also like to explore World of Warcraft and StarCraft, just to get a feel for those, as well. However, I think I'll likely remain partial to the Diablo series, because the navigation suits me, the gameplay is to my liking, and I find the back story very compelling. Don't get to play as much as I'd like, though, due to work and school.

At the same time, I'm also a bit concerned about their skill requirements. My skill is more of one variety - give me a job, let me sit down with my books and the Internet for reference while working, and I'll have a finished product after X amount of time. I'm not so hot at spouting correct code extemporaneously in an interview situation, which many companies providing internships seem to want.

So, I guess my questions are:
  • Is it, in fact, worth applying? (Though, I think I want to, as it'd likely be a good experience even if I do not succeed.)
  • Do you have any advice for ways to capitalize on my strengths and shore up my weaknesses? (Or make the weaknesses less salient, or turn them into strengths, or anything else?)

Any input you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration! :)/>

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Going for the Blizzard Internship

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Going for the Blizzard Internship

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

Ah... welcome.. to dream in code?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:52 AM

View PostInfiniteStateMachine, on 22 November 2012 - 04:43 AM, said:

• Is it, in fact, worth applying? (Though, I think I want to, as it'd likely be a good experience even if I do not succeed.)
  • Do you have any advice for ways to capitalize on my strengths and shore up my weaknesses? (Or make the weaknesses less salient, or turn them into strengths, or anything else?)

Any input you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration! :)/>/>

1. Yes. Although bear in mind that it's likely to be one of the most highly sought-after internships in the country, if not the world, so base your expectations accordingly.
2. You should be writing more RESTful web services and implementing messaging queuing. You should also be studying the complete Blizzard portfolio not just Diablo.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

In response to question two:

When someone asks if you are passionate, you say YES. Any other answer is off putting. Are you not currently passionate about what you do? I would change that answer.

When you have more time, I'd recommend playing through Warcraft 2&3, Starcraft 1&2, and the Diablo series again and dissect them. You can then reference these games during the interview process.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

While I recommend you go for it, I also think you should keep in mind that this is probably going to be one of the most applied to internships out there, who doesn't dream of working for Blizzard? Make sure not to ignore other opportunities too. Game company internships will always be the most sought after and great if you get them, but there are many many great internships out there, so apply for it but I wouldn't expect it unless you're an MIT student with a 4.0 or something.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1