Which Console To Get?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

19 Replies - 2123 Views - Last Post: 26 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Which Console To Get?

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

I've been looking around, since most consoles are on sale, at buying a new one. I've owned both the Xbox360 and PS3, but got rid of them both eventually out of mostly boredom. Most of my close friends have sold their consoles, but for some reason I can't help but want one. I don't know. The convenience of having a console is simply put, great, to me.

I'm torn between the PS3 and Xbox360 though. Each has it's own ups and downs, and exclusives, but I'm not sure which one to go with. When I had my PS3 I also had YellowDog Linux on it just for fun. When I had my Xbox all I found myself doing was watching Netflix though. I haven't touched either console, even at a friend's house, since I sold them about 2 years ago.

That's why I'm asking you nice people to help me choose. They're both on sale for the same price so I have a few questions:

What are they like now? Have they evolved anymore? Is anything better than it used to be? Do you find one greater than the other, and if you do, for what reason?

All input is appreciated, as long as it isn't something like "GRRR I HATE XBOX EWWW!" or "PS3 is dumb guis!"

We're all semi-mature here. Give realistic pros/cons/reasons.

Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Which Console To Get?

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which Console To Get?

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

Honestly, if I were you I'd go with a computer. Keep in mind that xbox/PS3 is all old hardware. The only upgrade you'll get is that of when a new version comes out and you shell out another $400. Then it'll be ~3 more years of that same hardware. There are already games out that cut back on content for the xbox/PS3 just because of the space/processing power problems.

If you want to get down to xbox vs PS though, I would probably go with the PlayStation. PS1 was my first console and I've been a fan ever since. I find that more people own an xbox, and the social aspect is much much better. However an xbox gold membership is $10 a month OR $50 a year. Personally I'd go with Playstation just off of the fact that sometimes I'll go months without playing games and I just feel like that gold membership would be a waste.

With a desktop you can upgrade piece by piece at your own pace, I think that's great. Not to mention the online functionality is free for the most part. The only problem is that you have to cater to what your game needs - whereas on a console the game has to cater to what you have.

Good luck :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

Really? You have to have one? I would assume it would be an easy choice of:
1. What games does one have over the other I want to play?
2. Do I want a blueray player or not?

What are they like now?

I assume a lot like they were two years ago. It's not like they had radical OS changes.

Have they evolved anymore?

Eyeball their 'app stores'. Compare what you see.

Is anything better than it used to be?

In what ways? There's been two years of updates you've missed out on so I guess, yeah.. they both are better than they were.

Of course there's a simple comparison by other people.. I have no idea what your 'feels' are on the topic so pick out what you like.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405305,00.asp
http://www.squidoo.c...ps3-or-xbox-360

I've owned both the Xbox360 and PS3, but got rid of them both eventually out of mostly boredom. Most of my close friends have sold their consoles, but for some reason I can't help but want one. I don't know. The convenience of having a console is simply put, great, to me.

This puzzles me.. won't you just get 'bored' with it again? Are you just getting sucked into the marketing and "having to have one"?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 GunnerInc  Icon User is online

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

Go retro and be cool, get a Neo Geo, TurboGraphix,or 3DO, or even older, my first console - Intellivision
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

... or build your own. Roots-console!

http://channel9.msdn...PIX-6T4-project
http://www.xgamestation.com/
http://lifehacker.co...ed-game-console
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:40 AM

a fuckin dreamcast... duh.

its thinking
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

MAKE A DECISION FOR YOURSELF
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#8 depricated  Icon User is online

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

PC is best console!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

become a Buddhist, want for nothing.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

Any linux box will play nethack. What more do you want?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

Depends on preference. I get most games on PC because I prefer not having to mess about with discs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

Coming from someone who has both (I'm very much a console gamer, only play a few PC games), they're pretty even. The only thing I'll say is that the Xbox has a better online experience, but on the other hand, it's a paid service, while PS3 is free. You get what you pay for :)

Deciding factor would probably be which one most of your friends have. As much as I love my PS3, hardly anyone I know owns one. I mostly just use my PS3 to play console-specific titles these days.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

i only use my ps3 to play psn exclusive titles like journey (which was incredible) and blu-rays. i wanna play tokyo jungle soon.

even for xbox, i just really like the xbla titles. i think they are a lot more innovative and fun then the rehashes of the major games have been. call of duty feels like madden now. just a rehash every year of mostly the same thing. the walking dead and fez and outland and all these other cool smaller games are doing new things or at least refining old things in cool ways.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

ehh i have them all--- but i play none--- pc is where it's at
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

I would say you should wait on getting a console. Both Microsoft and Sony are rumored to be releasing the next version of their consoles in 2013, so I would hold out until then (it will probably be around the holidays knowing how companies work).

Based on the rumors, I would totally go for the Xbox720 (or Infinite, or whatever it is called -- the NextBox shall we say). But that is just me, I haven't found many PS-only games that I have loved, so I don't believe that to be the worthwhile direction to take my money, but the Xbox has been fun since I got it (like you, at this point I mostly find myself watching netflix on it, but I am planning on purchasing/ getting Halo 4 at some point to have a game to play again -- though I could always finish AC Brotherhood or Castlevania if I can find the time).

In general, I would just say not the WiiU. Nintendo is behind the game and kinda lost me on the last LoZ game. They will have to work to get me buying their TV-consoles again. I need some innovation out of them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +