With a dick shaped hat?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Saudi Arabia implements electronic tracking system for women

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:38 AM

I feel like I need to clarify (and reiterate) my stance here.

Fuck religion. It's all wrong: every single faith that has ever been examined has internal contradictions, asserts facts that contradict the nature of reality, and every single faith has been used to exert rationally baseless authority over people. Dogmatism- or the assertion of anything as being absolutely true no matter what- is the single largest barrier to social progress that can be almost universally identified and recognized, and which is nearly ubiquitous in human behavior.

Religious people, however, aren't wrong on purpose, and certainly have motivations for being religious. There are too many reasons to be religious to mention here, but some big ones include honest belief, caring about others and using religion as a framework to facilitate that (or existing in a religious state to prevent real or assumed harm to others), social organization and interaction, as a tool for assessing behavior and morality (even if it is sometimes a very bad tool for this), and as a means of submitting to or asserting authority- often for the sake of achieving goals that wouldn't have been possible in the situation the goal was conceived in without religion.

The problem is pretty obvious: religious people generally don't know why their given faith is wrong, or believe it in spite of knowledge that it is wrong out of hope that they are wrong, or they don't actually believe but pretend to for some reason- and in so doing are religiously obligated to behave in irrational ways. There's also the fact that people who are presented with the opportunity to scrutinize their own religion in ways that might reveal its' internal problems often don't want to; out of fear that they might have been living their lives for something false, or because they view such opportunities as religious encounters with antagonists of their faith ("tricks of the devil"), or for any other reason.

And so it exists, and changes as it needs to when believers are unable to continue with the status quo, and the result is virulent faith: faith in ignorance or in spite of reason, which provides genuinely useful tools for accomplishing the goals of (at least some of) the faithful, and which will inevitably continue changing until it is undeniably clear that a given faith is wrong and the religion dies.

If you are intimately familiar with the Bible, for example, it's almost child's play to find the mistakes that have been made- especially with really good tools for studying the differences between modern translations, earlier translations, and the actual original works. I've made the point here before, while I was still a Christian, about evolutionary time scales in the story of creation in Genesis- to recap, the word translated as 'day' in English is from a Hebrew word ("Yohm" or "Yowm") that only specifies a period of time that can be measured, such as a minute, a day, a year, or millenia, or which refers to cyclical events- such as holidays, solar events, and even menstrual cycles. The idea of young earth creationism is almost certainly European in origin, and has spread culturally back to judaism- the same way Islam adopted the Jewish practices of circumcision and their dietary injunctions, with a bit of one-upmanship applied to both.

So ultimately, religion ending is only a matter of time, no matter what, but don't hold your breath.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Saudi Arabia implements electronic tracking system for women

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:42 AM

... and I think this thread has been derailed, rehashed, and beat to death enough. I've grown tired of reading it.

Or maybe I just haven't had enough coffee this morning.

Either way...Closed.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First