• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Saudi Arabia implements electronic tracking system for women

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:46 AM

POPULAR

Fuck Islam.

(and every other religion.)

Edit:

YES I FUCKING SAID IT. FUCK ISLAM, AND EVERY OTHER RELIGION.

Feel free to jump on me and defend the idea that you should treat people like cattle because nobody can convince you that your invisible friend doesn't exist, even though he's never spoken to you. Fuck everything about the idea that certain kinds of people should be subjugated on the basis of reproductive function or preference, just in case some invisible all-powerful prick is watching and planning to torture you forever after you die. And most of all, fuck everything about worshiping any being that would torture you for eternity for not joining his fucking fan club..

If there is such a being, the most moral action we could take - as a culture, or even as a species - would be to try to destroy it.

This post has been edited by Choscura: 24 November 2012 - 03:54 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

Now now, Choscura, some people can't grasp the idea that there isn't always a happy ending. So when you finally kick the bucket you don't actually go to a paradise. Grasping on to religion is easier for those weaker folk. Even if it means it oppression comes with it, they still don't have to think about the alternative; that we're all just worm food in the end and there is no paradise.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

even if some how Saudi Arabia was to become free there would still be huge cultural issues to overcome.

interesting note: in the bedouin tribes(the people in which Islam came from, Muhammad come from one) before Islam and in the beginning of Islam actually had the best woman's rights of almost any civilization until modern times. Women could be the heads of tribes, own land and cattle, choose their spouse independent of family, etc... there was apparently still some issues but isn't there still today even in america and europe?

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 24 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

View PostNeoTifa, on 24 November 2012 - 08:31 AM, said:

Now now, Choscura, some people can't grasp the idea that there isn't always a happy ending. So when you finally kick the bucket you don't actually go to a paradise. Grasping on to religion is easier for those weaker folk. Even if it means it oppression comes with it, they still don't have to think about the alternative; that we're all just worm food in the end and there is no paradise.

Fuck the idea of pandering to weak minds instead of giving them strength, or the resources and assistance to find their own. We aren't machines that need an oppressive operating system to keep us ticking, and we aren't cattle to be kept in pasture and fattened for some eternal feast. We're human, all of us, weak and strong, big and small, and should all have the chance to know it- however briefly, however painful it may be in comparison with fairy tales, and whatever it even means to be human; we've spent so long with the fairy tales that sometimes it's hard to look away and take the simple nature of reality seriously.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Watcher Outside Your Window

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

View PostChoscura, on 24 November 2012 - 07:46 AM, said:

Fuck Islam.

(and every other religion.)

Well, as long as they bend over...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• It's a 16-Bit World!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

But won't doing them all take a lot of time? Even if you have that much time, I bet you don't have that much stamina!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Watcher Outside Your Window

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

I wasn't making an excuse, just merely stating why people still do it. It is a personal choice. If they want to conform to society then that's their choice. Just saying. No need to get your panties in a ruffle at me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's a 16-Bit World!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

Never had to use them, so I can't comment on their effectiveness. Well, whatever suits you, :wheelchair:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

no2 uses them when he's not watching and it's not a dead body.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#28 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

POPULAR

View PostChoscura, on 24 November 2012 - 02:46 AM, said:

Fuck Islam. Fuck all religions.

Okay, that being said, the question remains: why does religion continue to exist? Presumably, if religion were simply and transparently the wrong answer, societies without religion would prosper more than societies without it. Two reasons for this: first, religious beliefs form an obstacle, as is often noted, to more progressive ideas. (Progressive here meaning "coherent, constructive, building on each other, making progress", ie, testable hypotheses which matter to the world. See A.J. Ayer for more on this) Second, religion is expensive. Sheer physical infrastructure required is huge - churches, cathedrals, etc - and person-hours required are also immense, considering lay commitments (regular worship, special duties like pilgrimages, missionizing, proselytizing, converting the heathens, distributing pox-infested blankets, oppressing women and the non-gender-normative, etc) and whole classes of people devoted more or less full time to religious duties (priests, rabbis, imams, sadhus, bodhisattvas, investment bankers, etc). So a society free of this pox should, at any time in history, have tremendous advantages over societies still in thrall to it.

Why then does religion persevere?

If there is such a being, the most moral action we could take - as a culture, or even as a species - would be to try to destroy it.

"If god did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him" - Voltaire
"If god exists, it is necessary to destroy him" -Choscura

Hm.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

I could ask why herpes perseveres, as it has exactly the same descriptions of it's behavior- it's spread with love, it's a painful necessity to deal with, and once you've got it you generally keep it.

But I wouldn't describe either as necessary, even by quoting dead Frenchmen who resisted the idea of converting on their deathbeds on the basis that it was the wrong time to make enemies with life-long allies.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#30 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

So you're taking Dawkins' thought experiment as a literal construction? Memes as some sort of literal object?
Hm. Not totally insane, but you realize that you're committing yourself to a pretty weak conception of consciousness, right? This is perfectly fine, but most people panic when they realize they've inadvertantly argued the Cartesian Ego off the stage and replaced it with something like Dennett's Multiple Drafts.

I've actually got no problem with eliminating the mind as anything but a derived element (the "mind" is just a brain doing what brains do) - if you're comfortable with that then I suppose you can rest on a strong-meme position and call it good. I actually think this knee-jerk anti-religious position is a pretty lazy one, in that it ignores most of what's actually interesting about religion as a social object, but it's not out of the question from the point of view of a reasonable philosophy of mind.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »