7 Replies - 1852 Views - Last Post: 26 November 2012 - 11:50 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hi Guys Game Developement!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

Hi Guys I'm new here i need some advice for making a game .
I'm an IT student.
Currently I'm working with a thesis project about creating a game I only have about 8 months to this were working this on a group. My Questions are:
1. What is the best programming language for creating a game?(I know java,C++,C but i find it difficult when it comes to functions can you guys suggest me the best book to read about your suggested language)
2. Can you give some ideas what game can I do based on the time that I have?
3. Can you tell me the step by step on doing this ?(like where will I do this and what are the software I need to have)

For now, I think this only what I need to know. Thank you in advance. :bigsmile:/>/>/>

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hi Guys Game Developement!

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hi Guys Game Developement!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

1. What is the best programming language for creating a game?(I know java,C++,C but i find it difficult when it comes to functions can you guys suggest me the best book to read about your suggested language)

Check the pinned threads at the top of this forum.

2. Can you give some ideas what game can I do based on the time that I have?

I have zero idea about your group's skill... so that's up in the air. Find a game idea and cut it down to bare functionality and then build that.

3. Can you tell me the step by step on doing this ?(like where will I do this and what are the software I need to have)

Read the tutorial section.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:25 AM

By virtue of this being your project, everything you're asking us to do you should be doing. I think that is why you are given eight months.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for the reply guys.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Caffeine: db "Never Enough!"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

A great start to game programming mainly due to the large amount of resources available is looking at the C# language with XNA! Good Luck with your project.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

1. For 8 months of development time, I'd suggest using an existing engine (rolling your own takes a lengthy amount of dev time).

2. Make a 2D game, everyone will probably want to make a 3d fps but in 8 months you will not have the time to make a polished 3d game (unless you are already experienced in 3d). I'd brain storm 4 or 5 ideas then prototype all of them and test them on your friends. I'd just use pen, paper and boards for physical prototypes. Try to come up with a game with novel mechanics.

3. Here are my steps to making a game:
  • Brainstorm ideas
  • Do a physical prototype of the top ideas
  • Choose your favorite from the prototypes
  • Find artists (If you don't have the art skills begin looking asap! Some colleges will allow you to give art students class credits for contributing to your game.)
  • Make a class diagram UML for the entire project
  • Make an SVN repository for revision control and to share code. I normally use tortoise svn
  • Use Agile Scrum to break the project into two 3 month sprints. Make a scrum board and have bi-weekly scrum meetings!!!! (It is very important to keep track of everyone's work progress, especially when you're dealing with students.)
  • Have monthly parties to keep moral up! Seriously all work and no play will destroy a team. Do group events, play games, order pizza, drink, go to GDC together, just have fun.

Most important have fun, learn, and don't be afraid to ask questions. "Game Programming Gems" books can often be helpful if you hit a wall.

~Best of luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

View PostLeadwerks, on 27 November 2012 - 12:01 AM, said:

Use Agile Scrum to break the project into two 3 month sprints. Make a scrum board and have bi-weekly scrum meetings!!!!

Generally great advice apart from this bit. How are they going to approach scrum meetings and resolve issues raised, then schedule issue management as well as meet milestones when they have no experience of such management?

Mistakes are going to be made. My advice is to decide on a project that takes much less than eight months to complete, and spend the remaining time polishing the final product.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:50 PM

View PostButchDean, on 26 November 2012 - 10:00 PM, said:

View PostLeadwerks, on 27 November 2012 - 12:01 AM, said:

Use Agile Scrum to break the project into two 3 month sprints. Make a scrum board and have bi-weekly scrum meetings!!!!

Generally great advice apart from this bit. How are they going to approach scrum meetings and resolve issues raised, then schedule issue management as well as meet milestones when they have no experience of such management?

From the agile methodology I'd just take the scrum board and scrum meetings, these give clarity to the tasks that need to be completed and the shows ownership to each task. It doesn't have to be a strict scrum meeting, mainly just meetings in which you: know what tasks need to be completed, know who is doing what tasks, and keep track of how much each member contributes.

View PostButchDean, on 26 November 2012 - 10:00 PM, said:

Mistakes are going to be made. My advice is to decide on a project that takes much less than eight months to complete, and spend the remaining time polishing the final product.

This is actually probably the most useful advice on this thread.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1