7 Replies - 373 Views - Last Post: 24 November 2012 - 12:18 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Learning c++ by yourself.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

I am learnig c++ on my own, and i have no idea where i should go to learn more. nor do i know what i should learn next.

basically i know everything besides a few advanced concepts on this http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
tutorial site. what should i do next? preferably could i have a list of things to look up in order of what i should be going through to completely understand c++ blabla..

Thank you, and if you have time time to supply me with a few tutorials i could look into to learn things faster that would be a big help. thank you!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Learning c++ by yourself.

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Learning c++ by yourself.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

I suggest watching these tutorials: http://www.youtube.c...DD6A625AD033D36 after that, if you want to make games learn SDL or allegro
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

View Postkingawsm, on 24 November 2012 - 07:16 AM, said:

I suggest watching these tutorials: http://www.youtube.c...DD6A625AD033D36 after that, if you want to make games learn SDL or allegro

I don't think it's a very good thing to do in the beginning

Basically ... you should look into more places for the same info . I mean I read every tutorial from cplusplus.com but I also read few book for beginners because it allows you to see some new concepts and other points of view .
Also , after you are very familiar with the basics you can start to look into some algorithms , depending on what you want to do further.

If you want to make games ... after you gain some knowledge and become familiar with the tehniques you should look into different languages (c++ isn't the best choice for amateur game programmers), you might want to try C# .

If you want to create software applications take a look at Qt from Nokia, you might like it .

Anyway ... it's like this ... after you learn a programming language very good you will start to learn another depending on your goals at the moment . However, the only things that don't change are algorithms so you might want to learn them well.

For example at the moment I want to make a diary application, but for that I will have to seriously look into cryptography ... and decide which programming language I will use ( for me it will most likely be C++ with QT because I'm familiar with it)

This post has been edited by TwoOfDiamonds: 23 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

View Postkingawsm, on 23 November 2012 - 10:16 PM, said:

thank you! ill watch them starting tomorrow!

View PostTwoOfDiamonds, on 23 November 2012 - 10:25 PM, said:

View Postkingawsm, on 24 November 2012 - 07:16 AM, said:

I don't think it's a very good thing to do in the beginning

Basically ... you should look into more places for the same info . I mean I read every tutorial from cplusplus.com but I also read few book for beginners because it allows you to see some new concepts and other points of view .
Also , after you are very familiar with the basics you can start to look into some algorithms , depending on what you want to do further.

If you want to make games ... after you gain some knowledge and become familiar with the tehniques you should look into different languages (c++ isn't the best choice for amateur game programmers), you might want to try C# .

If you want to create software applications take a look at Qt from Nokia, you might like it .

Anyway ... it's like this ... after you learn a programming language very good you will start to learn another depending on your goals at the moment . However, the only things that don't change are algorithms so you might want to learn them well.

For example at the moment I want to make a diary application, but for that I will have to seriously look into cryptography ... and decide which programming language I will use ( for me it will most likely be C++ with QT because I'm familiar with it)

Well i plan to to different things im not so sure yet of my goal, possibly videogames but it could be something else, i havent decided, so before that ill look into different things for now! thanks!

Is there a good place to learn some things about video game programming in c++ so i can take a look at it? (if you know of one)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

Yes . Gamedev.net is the best site on this subject.
Also, you might want to read Michael Dawson's book "Learn C++ Through Game Programming" and afterwards choose a good 2D library (I'd say SDL for C++) and look at some good tutorials .
Oh, and you might want to check out gamefromscratch.com first.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Nasal Demon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:39 AM

What are these advanced topics that you don't understand?

Knowing syntax is not enough. You want to get some books (see pinned topics and advanced discussions) that assume you already know syntax to some extent, and give you best practice examples and rationales.

Did you check out things from standard library, like strings, containers, algorithms, smart pointers? Did you try new things from C++11 like new "for-each" syntax for ( type variable : container ) { }, auto keyword, standard wrappers around function pointers, etc?
Do you know what const-correctness is? What about design patterns? Did you implement a tree, or linked-list?

Oh, see C++ tutorials here @ DIC, there are some nice ones. (Kudos to numerous authors)

Btw - I've looked at "More on pointers" video of that linked C++ made easy HD tutorial - and... Well, as much as I respect the amount of work put into compiling such a long tutorial, I have to say I was not impressed. The wording and amount of different stuff squeezed into one episode, and not really explained all that well... I don't see how a newbie to the language will benefit from that.

This post has been edited by Xupicor: 24 November 2012 - 03:55 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:19 AM

cplusplus.com is the best of the worst. Tutorials, etc. online are total garbage. C++ is a nuanced, pedantic language without guardrails. It's easy to do something wrong without knowing you're doing something wrong. Looking things up is not the right way to learn the language.

Get Accelerated C++ and go through that book. It will teach you the most fundamental idioms of the language. C++ Primer (5th edition now) by Lippman serves as a good reference. For the standard library reference, you'll want the book by Josuttis (The C++ standard Library, 2nd Ed).
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

View PostTwoOfDiamonds, on 23 November 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

Yes . Gamedev.net is the best site on this subject.
Also, you might want to read Michael Dawson's book "Learn C++ Through Game Programming" and afterwards choose a good 2D library (I'd say SDL for C++) and look at some good tutorials .
Oh, and you might want to check out gamefromscratch.com first.

Thanks! ill check out these later today!

View PostXupicor, on 24 November 2012 - 03:39 AM, said:

What are these advanced topics that you don't understand?

Knowing syntax is not enough. You want to get some books (see pinned topics and advanced discussions) that assume you already know syntax to some extent, and give you best practice examples and rationales.

Did you check out things from standard library, like strings, containers, algorithms, smart pointers? Did you try new things from C++11 like new "for-each" syntax for ( type variable : container ) { }, auto keyword, standard wrappers around function pointers, etc?
Do you know what const-correctness is? What about design patterns? Did you implement a tree, or linked-list?

Oh, see C++ tutorials here @ DIC, there are some nice ones. (Kudos to numerous authors)

Btw - I've looked at "More on pointers" video of that linked C++ made easy HD tutorial - and... Well, as much as I respect the amount of work put into compiling such a long tutorial, I have to say I was not impressed. The wording and amount of different stuff squeezed into one episode, and not really explained all that well... I don't see how a newbie to the language will benefit from that.

i mean the section of advanced things on the tutorial site i linked, and im a quick learner i only need one good example to understand each thing so the videos are actually helping me although there might be better ones im not sure of, anyway, im not sure where to look after these videos and what others gave me, i hope ill know by then!

View PostOler1s, on 24 November 2012 - 06:19 AM, said:

cplusplus.com is the best of the worst. Tutorials, etc. online are total garbage. C++ is a nuanced, pedantic language without guardrails. It's easy to do something wrong without knowing you're doing something wrong. Looking things up is not the right way to learn the language.

Get Accelerated C++ and go through that book. It will teach you the most fundamental idioms of the language. C++ Primer (5th edition now) by Lippman serves as a good reference. For the standard library reference, you'll want the book by Josuttis (The C++ standard Library, 2nd Ed).

I do have a book i believe its the 2010 version of visual c++ books and i am currently half way through. ill see if any librarys around me have the ones you meantioned. thank you!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1