1 Replies - 1489 Views - Last Post: 26 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Excel date function

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:34 AM

Hi Guys,

I have an issue that I am trying to resolve with excel function.
Basically I have three columns and all I want is when a user insert a value into one of these columns, the days date is inserted into column B to record the day of insert.

I tried this function for one of the columns: =IF(B3<>"";IF(B3="";TODAY();B3);"") and it works fine. But I want to extend this for the rest columns, but cannot get it to work with the function below.

=IF(OR(D3<>"";IF(B3="";TODAY();B3);"";IF(OR(F3<>"";IF(B3="";TODAY();B3);"";IF(OR(H3<>"";IF(B3="";TODAY();B3);"")))

I would really appreciate your help guys....Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Excel date function

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Excel date function

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

My first attempt at breaking down your formula leads to this:

if d3 <> "" OR b3 = "", then today, else b3
if f3 <> "" OR b3 = "", then today, else b3
if h3 <> "" OR b3 = "", then Today, else b3

There are some major fundamental errors here. I will start with the basics. For starters, entering a function in excel requires you to use ',' to seperate parameters, not ';'. I am hoping you used this correctly in excel and forogot to type it as such.

Secondly, the actual construction of the formula is off. It looks like you are trying to join all three of these statements into one formula. In my expierence with excel, 9 times out of 10 there is a function that does what you want better than the way you are doing it now. Try looking at other formulas that excel provides, such as CHOOSE() and ISBLANK().

My solution is to revise your formula and reorganize what you are trying to accomplish. Factor out some common terms. In the formula, you have "else b3", "then today", and "OR b3 = ""," three times each. Instead say, if b3 is blank AND d3 or f3 or h3 are blank, then today, else b3. The function should look something like this:

=IF(ISBLANK(b3) AND(OR(ISBLANK(d3), ISBLANK(f3), ISBLANK(h3)), TODAY(), b3)

Give that a shot and see how it works. If this is not the way you intended the formula to work than please respond with a more detailed example of what you are trying to accomplish.

-Joe
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1