8 Replies - 7661 Views - Last Post: 24 November 2012 - 06:55 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

[link]Sugar os written in Python

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:07 AM

This may be old news, but I just figured it out. So if you already know about this sorry. For those that don't know, the One Laptop per Child, which aims to give laptops to children in 3rd world countries, uses 'sugar', a desktop environment written completely in Python.

[edit] not an operating system, just a desktop environment (gui)

This post has been edited by alexr1090: 24 November 2012 - 06:20 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: [link]Sugar os written in Python

• Nasal Demon
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: [link]Sugar os written in Python

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:29 AM

I had no idea something like that exists. Thanks for the info, it may be old news but it's new to me too. ;)

Bah, it's a desktop environment and not an OS. Still, in Python - nice.

This post has been edited by Xupicor: 24 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 sepp2k  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:58 AM

When I read the title, I was very surprised that there'd be a usable operating system written in Python. I know that there are various experimental operating systems in higher level languages (like C#, Java, Haskell), but those are research-projects - not even close to something that could be used by end-users. Also I've never heard of an operating system written in a language as dynamic as Python.

Then I clicked the Wikipedia link and the first sentence starts with "Sugar is an open source desktop environment". I feel lied-to and cheated :-(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:08 AM

View Postsepp2k, on 24 November 2012 - 06:58 AM, said:

When I read the title, I was very surprised that there'd be a usable operating system written in Python. I know that there are various experimental operating systems in higher level languages (like C#, Java, Haskell), but those are research-projects - not even close to something that could be used by end-users. Also I've never heard of an operating system written in a language as dynamic as Python.

Then I clicked the Wikipedia link and the first sentence starts with "Sugar is an open source desktop environment". I feel lied-to and cheated :-(

I'll rename the title. I didn't read into it enough. Basically as sepp2k pointed out this is just a desktop environment that uses linux as an operating system. For those that don't know, a desktop environment is the gui of an os. My bad sepp2k

[edit] Can't rename title.

This post has been edited by alexr1090: 24 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

No os can be writtened in programming languages like python,perl,ruby,vb,c#,java,etc.. since they are interpreted language.

Maybe the news is from invalid source or it's fake

Yes ,Python can be implemented in your own oS

Or it's on embedded platform running above python vMachine for example you can write an OS using .NET on .NET micro frame work running platforms like NETUDINO but it's not a OS in true sense it's just running above .NET MF
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

#6 sepp2k  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:15 AM

View Postaloneprogrammer, on 24 November 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

No os can be writtened in programming languages like python,perl,ruby,vb,c#,java,etc.. since they are interpreted language.

There's no such thing as an "interpreted language" except in the sense of "a language of which all current implementations are interpreters". And of course just because all current implementations are interpreters, that doesn't mean that you can't write a compiler for the language in order to compile your OS.

This post has been edited by sepp2k: 24 November 2012 - 06:57 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:26 AM

@sep2k

Sir,If you think I'm wrong so code an simple OS that do some basic functional things in any languageone of the languages listed below:-

Python
Perl
Ruby
VB
C#
Java
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:45 AM

View Postaloneprogrammer, on 24 November 2012 - 07:26 AM, said:

@sep2k

Sir,If you think I'm wrong so code an simple OS that do some basic functional things in any languageone of the languages listed below:-

Python
Perl
Ruby
VB
C#
Java

Here's one written in Java. I've looked for other operating systems written in pure python. I came up with an old project named Unununium which looks to be dead and written in Assembly language instead of Python anyway. Another project is the Python-OS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 sepp2k  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:55 AM

View Postaloneprogrammer, on 24 November 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

Sir,If you think I'm wrong so code an simple OS that do some basic functional things in any languageone of the languages listed below:

Why would I possibly do that. That seems like a lot of effort to prove a point that's mostly self-evident anyway.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1