Hi guys from australia! woooooooo!

Hazza new guy here to join the nerds! jk :P

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 589 Views - Last Post: 15 July 2007 - 05:51 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hi guys from australia! woooooooo!

Posted 07 July 2007 - 05:31 AM

Hi guys! Just like to send out a bit of a hello! to everyone here @ dreamincode.net. I'm from australia (hence the topic title). I don't know where most of you guys are from, i assume that this community doesnt have that many australians.. if any... xD

why am i here? good question to be asking an 18 yr old who is still completing his final year of high school and doesnt do any computing/i.t/i.p.t/chemistry/science... ANY of those type of subjects. WELLLL... I am a bit of a nerd online computer gamer (surprise surprise) and i'd like to make a game. A game that (when complete) will truly keep me satisfied... i have come to the belief that it is indeed a niche in the market... Before i go on i'll give you a brief (a VERY brief) background knowledge of stuff to do with me and computers...

-My dad is a bit of a computer nerd.... he makes/breaks/fixes/cleans computers and anything in them and on them. He is very rusty with C++, though he doesnt admit it; especially with the part of it that i want to get my hands on.. the computer game making side of it. currently he hirers i.t people for companies that cant be bothered doing it himself.
-i am fairly alright with computers.... i can fix the majority of 'normal' problems that happen with computers, such as crashes, viruses, overheating, defragging (O.o)... most things.... some of this knowledge is because of my dad... some of it is because of me and my tendancy to get my hands dirty... also playing alot of online games has added to my knowledge of such things.

okay.. back on topic.... after asking my dad, he'd say he'd help me learn C++..... i dont know about you guys but for me, that was a big thing to do... i dont reeeeaaallly want to make a computer game with his help... it'll have his name/influence all over it and truthfully he's a bit of a jerk some of the time. Yay! more father-son time when he's teaching me C++! (note my sarcasm). Despite this fact of me not wanting to listen to him or anything like that, he does every now and then have some feasible advice. Since im a real n0ob at C++ (dunno wtf is going on the second you open up a C++ compiler), he suggested that i should learn how to make a simple application before i get into it... to learn the basics. makes sense to me... im up for a 2nd opinion though (or third :S).

THe simple application he suggested was a pong game. You know the game where you have basically a rectangle at the bottom of your screen and a ball bouncing round? Yeh, that game. He said it includes most fundamental aspects of computer game design. understandable there. still one problem.. want less of dad.. more me. (lol selfish). Second problem. I d/l ed both visual basic express C++ and visual studio express C++ from microsoft... my dads not familiar with those programs.... as much as he is most likely going to pick up on them... sttttiiiiiiiiillllll...... :(

SO........ WHy am I here? To self-teach myself (with the help of you guys ;) how to make a computer game. I realize making a computer game is a difficult task, especially considering my experience with C++... so i expect to be a regular on this site for a long time yet. I intend to give up gaming for at least a year, instead i'll *waste my spare time playing with code.. (*waste... i dont think it is a waste.. i just couldnt think of a better word..spend?)... i am intent on starting at the very basic level, as i do know all to well if i dont understand that, im screwed for higher level stuff, so bring on teaching me how to code a 'pong' game!!!

CHeers all! When i have reached the level of elite coder (like all you guys) and i have made my own computer game that will (hopefully) be played by thousands, i will mention every single one of you guys who helped me, including this website itself!

BTW... for all you cringing at the fact that i want to make a computer game, dont worry (too much), the game i plan to make is a 2d side-scrolling action game. not 3d. the only truly hard parts that i can think of to do with this game is the fact that i want (need is a better word...) it to be online and network capable, with dedicated servers and sh*t like that.....

I am going to post this message as a new topic as well.. as it has a lot of depth to it... hopefully its okay doing that....

peace guys hope to talk with all of you soon enough!

Overseer

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hi guys from australia! woooooooo!

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Hi guys from australia! woooooooo!

Posted 07 July 2007 - 07:40 PM

lawl wall of text.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:33 PM

yeh i'm pretty impressed with what i wrote... despite that... i am NEVER going to be writing that much EVER AGAIN! my hands hurt after that :( i dont know how the hell i did that.. considering it was 2am .... strange O.o
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:44 AM

The community does actually have a fair number of Australians.

Welcome to dream in code! Glad you decided to join.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:40 AM

Welcome to </dream.in.code>. I'll see you around the forums.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sexy DIC God
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2007 - 05:51 PM

Welcome to DIC! Glad you decided to join :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1