3 Replies - 695 Views - Last Post: 25 November 2012 - 08:03 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Sfml Trouble

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

[font="Georgia"][size="4"]

Hello all it's me Delacar again, and this time I'm at the highest frustration level I've been in the past two months. I have hit a brick wall on game development, that I can't climb over, go around, or break through. I've been trying to follow the tile engine from scratch tutorial and well I can't get through the first part. Well let me get to the point I have downloaded sfml 2.0 (I could get any sfml code to work with that), sfml 1.6 (I found a tutorial on youtube that allowed sfml system to work and you look at the video by punching in Compiling SFML 1.6 with Visual C++ 2010 Express Edition). I also have downloaded Visual Studio C++ Express 2008 and 2010. Somewhere I'm linking to sfml wrong because after copying the code from the earlier mentioned tutorial I get this error message:

1>------ Build started: Project: Delacar's Game, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>  main.cpp
1>c:\users\jesse's\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\delacar's game\delacar's game\main.cpp(5): error C2628: 'Engine' followed by 'int' is illegal (did you forget a ';'?)
1>c:\users\jesse's\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\delacar's game\delacar's game\main.cpp(6): error C2556: 'Engine wWinMain(HINSTANCE,HINSTANCE,PWSTR,int)' : overloaded function differs only by return type from 'int wWinMain(HINSTANCE,HINSTANCE,LPWSTR,int)'
1>          c:\program files (x86)\microsoft sdks\windows\v7.0a\include\winbase.h(2601) : see declaration of 'wWinMain'
1>c:\users\jesse's\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\delacar's game\delacar's game\main.cpp(6): error C2371: 'wWinMain' : redefinition; different basic types
1>          c:\program files (x86)\microsoft sdks\windows\v7.0a\include\winbase.h(2601) : see declaration of 'wWinMain'
1>c:\users\jesse's\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\delacar's game\delacar's game\main.cpp(15): error C2065: 'MB_IConerror' : undeclared identifier
1>  engine.cpp
1>c:\users\jesse's\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\delacar's game\delacar's game\engine.cpp(5): error C2533: 'Engine::{ctor}' : constructors not allowed a return type
1>c:\users\jesse's\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\delacar's game\delacar's game\engine.cpp(17): error C2661: 'sf::VideoMode::VideoMode' : no overloaded function takes 4 arguments
1>c:\users\jesse's\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\delacar's game\delacar's game\engine.cpp(17): error C2143: syntax error : missing ')' before ';'
1>c:\users\jesse's\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\delacar's game\delacar's game\engine.cpp(35): error C2039: 'PollEvent' : is not a member of 'sf::RenderWindow'
1>          c:\sfml\sfml-1.6\include\sfml\graphics\renderwindow.hpp(45) : see declaration of 'sf::RenderWindow'
1>c:\users\jesse's\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\delacar's game\delacar's game\engine.cpp(35): fatal error C1903: unable to recover from previous error(s); stopping compilation
1>  Generating Code...

Please will any give me a hand with either a comprehensive step by step tutorial, a step by step video, or really anything that I can use to remove this wall. I'm ultimately less than a beginner in programming, but I've have been fighting a losing battle from the moment I received my first programming books. I first started with a text based game and have hit a wall on that front so I switched to trying directx and hit a snag there as well (I have one more thing there that I have yet to try). After both of those ground to a halt I switched to sfml and after two long hard fought months I've come here to ask anyone for any assistance considering that I know the policy of this site is not do you work for you but I'm at a complete loss of where else to turn. I have nowhere else to turn as I'm the only person in my house that has done this kind of programming (my brother does a little html and when I started html I could ask him for some if I hit a wall). Please reply as soon as possible (and please pardon my language), but I'm coming up on the year mark when I got my books and I'll be damned if I'm give up with fight and I'll be damned if I won't prove that (mainly to myself because of the html that I started with and failed at) that I WILL NOT FAIL! Thank you for time and my you have a wonderfully happy holiday. :)/>

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Sfml Trouble

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Sfml Trouble

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

These are all simple errors to do with both your understanding of C++ and the code base. I get the feeling you haven't done much C++.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

View PostButchDean, on 25 November 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

These are all simple errors to do with both your understanding of C++ and the code base. I get the feeling you haven't done much C++.

You are right there I got my books last Christmas, I have a almost 4 year old nephew who is loud and always pulling at me, the rest of my family is always asking me to do something, and I have to work from 6am to some times as late as 5pm. I eat supper around 8pm and if I'm lucky have maybe 3 and a half to 4 hours to work on my coding. So yeah I really have not been codind long at all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

Maybe just focus on C++ without games for now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1