3 Replies - 440 Views - Last Post: 25 November 2012 - 07:51 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Programming language advice needed

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

I'm trying to find the ideal gaming library for 3D game development, ideal graphics, ideal everything, shall I choose OpenGL or DirectX, or something else? what is the best at the moment?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Programming language advice needed

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Programming language advice needed

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

You're looking to spark a "Which language is best" war...

Q: What is the best programming language/OS? What programming language/OS should I learn?
A:All of them. And none of them. You might as well be asking "What is the best kind of vehicle?" Because the answer for both questions is "It depends on your needs and what personally suites you the best." C, C++, C#, Objective-C, Cocoa, F#, Visual Basic, Python, JAVA...

Are all good languages. They all have their pros and cons. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. Some have stronger footholds in some markets than others. Do you want to write for iPhone/iPad then you need Objective-C. Do you want to write for generic mobile phone use then you need JAVA. And so on. If you have no idea what area of programming you want to move to (Gaming, Financial, Windows, Macintosh, Cell phones) then nobody can advise you on a language. Personally, I would point you to C# because, like it or not, Microsoft owns the desktop computer market and C# will teach you good habits of design, OOP (Object Oriented Programming) design, inheritance and so on: Concepts that translate well to all other OOP languages.

The OS is a by-product of the type of coding you want to do, which in turn dictates the language you need, which then decides the operating system you probably need. Not the other way around.

Do you want to code apps for iOS devices like the iPad and iPhone? Then you need a Macintosh to do it right. Are you hankering to do machine vision programming? Industrial robot control? Financial applications?

What are your programming goals? Do you want to market $9.99 desktop applications to the masses? Do you want to make control systems for helicopters? XBox games requires the .NET XNA framework so you are now in Windows. Do you want to do embedded controls for automotive computers? Do you just love MS Office and love to make extensions for it? Do you want to work on web apps or desktop apps or mobile apps?

Do you now see why we can't even begin to tell you what is best for you? Only you know what you like and what you don't like. Only you know what area of programming is interesting to you. If you ask me for advice I might tell you video processing for the movie industry is great so you should get a Mac. Someone else is going to tell you cool stories of working on CSI lab equipment so you should do C embedded stuff.

The short answer for this question is: Get in touch with your own wants and needs then think for yourself.

Join these discussions on the topic:
Which coding language?
VB6 is dead
C# or C++?
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

Ok sorry for being unspecific, I'm looking to develop 3D games for windows, I own a windows 7 machine, I'm looking to develop any type of 3D games from MMORPG's to FPS (first person shooters), anything interests me in this field, for windows, what is the best programming language for this and what is the best library for this?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

Different game types, different engines.

Sounds like you need to get your feet wet first, so probably C# and XNA. Then experience in the genre will put you in contact with others more devoted just to games.

Games are pretty much the hardest thing to write, so don't start there if you don't already have a solid command of the language and underlaying OOP principals.

My standard beginner resources post

We have a tutorials section and a learning C# series of articles.

First learn the language by working 2-5 "Learn C# in 30 days" type books cover to cover. Do a couple hundred on-line tutorial projects where you build what you're told to build, the way you are told to build it WITH AN EXPLANATION OF WHY so you can learn.

There are three routes people seem to take when learning programming.
  • Just start trying to create programs
  • Start taking apart other programs and try to figure out the language by reverse engineering
  • Follow a guided learning course (school or self-teaching books)

For the life of me I can't figure out why people try 1 & 2. I strongly suggest taking the guided learning approach. Those book authors go in a certain order for a reason: They know what they're doing and they know the best order to learn the materials.

Where do I start?

You start by learning a coding language FIRST.
Learn to plan before you type.
THEN you start designing software with a purpose.

If this sounds like you

Newbie/Rookie said:

I have a little programming experience but I need to write ...
read this section
Spoiler

Otherwise, you can just jump to the resources here:
Some of the tutorials below are for C# or Java not C, C++, VB.NET [...]. But the conceptual stuff of classes, object oriented design, events etc. are not language specific and should give you enough guidance in theory of program development for you to be able to look-up specific code example in your chosen coding language.

Resources, references and suggestions for new programmers. - Updated Oct 2012
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1