8 Replies - 511 Views - Last Post: 02 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Me

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:17 AM

Hello all,

Me - Iím from the UK and am an absolute beginner in programming, I have only just began to delve into VB and C+, i have done some java previously and a lot of HTML but that is all.

Why im here - Iím joining you guys to hopefully develop my skills and whilst I am here hopefully find a solution to a problem i have had for 12 months+ that im hoping someone can help me with. If i could be pointed to the correct forum that would be much appreciated. I would like to build a simple app that will run in the task bar, the app will list available network interfaces and the available connections, this needs to include WLAN and WWAN/Mobile broadband with the ability to tick available connections that will make these connections monitored by the app and if in the event this network disconnects will be re connected. It sounds very simple and you would expect there to be hundreds of apps on the market already that could solve my problem but none seem to work with windows 7's mobile broadband ://>/>

Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Me

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Me

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:45 AM

Welcome to DIC, SpaceDrifter. I'm sure that you'll find here everything you need. And don't worry about your beginner status - everyone is a beginner sometime in their lives. Just search some tutorials and start to practice. And if there will be problems, just come here ask, we'll help you!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

It depends on the coding language as to what forum you should use for it. Unless it is for a mobile device, if so, you could go on down to Mobile Development and post it there. Otherwise, if it's in VB it goes in the VB forum, if it's C#, it goes in the C# forum, so on so forth. Just helps get you the people that know the language to help you with it.

As for welcoming you to this wonderful place, well, welcome to this wonderful place. :3 Haha.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:37 AM

sup
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

the ability to tick available connections that will make these connections monitored by the app and if in the event this network disconnects will be re connected.

One small issue with this - how is the app supposed to make a down network reconnect? It's down and no communication is going in or out, right?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

View PostAthenaDX, on 28 November 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

As for welcoming you to this wonderful place, well, welcome to this wonderful place. :3 Haha.

Careful young SpaceDrifter. Athena may carry the name of a Goddess, but she is like the Siren on the rocks. Your destruction will shortly follow the beauty of her words! ;)

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

Hey all, thank you for your guidance :) sorry have been moving into a new place thanks for your comments ill be sure to check the different forums out :)

I have done some research and believe C# is what im looking for, i would need to use the Mobile Broadband API to manage the connection rather than try manage the hardware itself. This is going to be a steep learning curve ha!

@modi123_1 good questions....im not quite sure how it's going to work yet but the connection im using has a Vodafone sim card that is using a private APN, i currently have a static route to a Radius server and could use this to tell the app when the connection is down or possibly a connection state to find out if the connection is up or down like i have used in VB before. Im guessing it would be a case of telling that interface to connect as there will be only one possible connection and Vodafone should always be available as long as the sim card is in the device but im still very new so this could be way off on how this is going to work.

At the moment to get around my problem i have set a scheduled task to ping a Radius server on the other side and if i get no response then a script resets the WWAN service that auto connects to Vodafone when the service has started again. It does the job but its not ideal and is giving me its own problems with services getting stuck now and then. I have 60 devices that need to be connected to GPRS 24/7.

@AnalyticLunatic Thanks for the heads up haha she sounds dangerous.....i like dangerous ;)

Well i best get cracking on the basics
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

View PostSpaceDrifter, on 02 December 2012 - 02:55 PM, said:

I have done some research and believe C# is what im looking for, i would need to use the Mobile Broadband API to manage the connection rather than try manage the hardware itself. This is going to be a steep learning curve ha!

Correction C++
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

Welcome Spacedrifter.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -