• Last »

47 Replies - 3682 Views - Last Post: 11 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

#1 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Switching up the 'What do you likes'

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

That's right. I'm switching them up. Flipping them around. Taking it to the next level. Trying to revive what was once a lively and active board, but has today passed from this realm into the realm of the cherubic dead boards in the sky.

Anyway... enough pointless, questionably coherent rambling. What I want to know is.... is there anything you once enjoyed quite thoroughly that you can no longer stand? Is there an amusing anecdote to accompany your answer? A not-so-amusing anecdote?

The reason I ask... I've been plugging away on data entry crap all day long, listening to mp3s on shuffle (gotta mix it up), the music wafting ever so gently from my company-issued generic speakers... when I hit a random streak of Dave Matthews Band tracks. Three of them, to be exact. I once loved DMB with all the enthusiasm of a Bieber fangirl in heat. Lately, however, I absolutely cannot stand them... whether it's my mp3 collection, the CDs shuffling in my car, the radio, on a television display in the mall... anywhere, DMB just grates on my nerves to no end.

I have no idea why, but it struck me as odd that something I absolutely adored for so many years has suddenly become so repulsive. Am I alone in this phenomenon or have others unexpectedly found things they once loved magically repugnant?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Switching up the 'What do you likes'

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Switching up the 'What do you likes'

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

Eh it happens.. at least it shows you are evolving.. DMB was always a pussy band.. I swear Hootie (sans Blowfish) could beat DMB.

Oblig:
http://www.theonion....himself-anymore,1779/

A bit of a reverse on it with Michael Bolton. Maybe it's been enough time or he's just taking himself less seriously, but after his appearance with the Lonely Island Boys I found his covers and new cds pretty damn amusing.

My bartender and I had a "Michael Bolton Day" (sort of like Rex Manning Day but with less copier sex) when his concert came into town.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

In the early & mid 90's I used to listen to Marilyn Manson a lot. I would buy very bright turtle necks & goofy looking clothes from thrift stores. I was even asked to join a cover band at one point. Went to a couple of concerts. Met some friends, had some fun.

Then Sweet Dreams came out & every teenage beanie bopper started buying their albums. Concerts were selling out, the scene had changed. It wasn't fun anymore. The guitarist left the band. I moved on.

In retrospect, my favorite thing about that time was giving all of my shit away. I was sitting there one day thinking, man, I know *friends name* really still likes them. I bet she'd love all this stuff. So I just phoned her up & said, you want it? All of it? She screamed. It made me more happier to give it to her than it ever did when it was mine. All the concert videos, the bootlegs, the pre-recordings, the magazine articles. I eventually sold my tshirts on eBay for a killing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

It made me more happier to give it to her than it ever did when it was mine.

A special time in a young boy's life...
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Maybe one day modi123_1, maybe one day....
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

I used to enjoy the hell out of being the go-to guy at whatever job I happened to be working.

I used to enjoy the hell out of getting to work on all the hard shit everyone else was afraid to touch simply because everyone else was afraid to touch it.

Nowadays, though, it kinda just seems like I'm a bitch of the highest order. Like, people take it for granted that they will never fail because, no matter what, P4P will get the shit done if they can't, and that'll be the end of it.

My not-so-amusing anecdote and its origins:
"It's like being a capped epic on a n00bkilling expedition."

I used to play MMORPGs purely for the sake of spontaneous PVP. I'd attack anyone I could attack anywhere I could attack them. Lots of n00bs got attacked, which usually brought out the more challenging opponents/the mains. They'd always shout and cry, though, "You're a p***y PKing n00bs." "You suck n00bkiller", and so on. Yeah... It's like that, now, except the mains are still n00bs and the "hard shit" is like BRD at level 70.

I need to find some good challenges and good competition.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

Alright, I'm going to say it: I can't stand AC/DC or Guns N' Roses anymore. And they radio is almost making me like Led Zepplin a lot less. :( I fucking LOVE Led Zepplin, yet I still find myself able to change the station.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

I do this (love but then begin to hate) whatever music I like for that month. I just recently over played Tom Petty... and now am searching for a new artist,song,genre to destroy for my self. However, I find that by the time I destroy some other song,artist,genre I can at least listen to the previous destroyed music.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

All the super emo angsty bands I used to listen to back in high school now make me cringe when I hear them playing somewhere.

Also, I used to be one of those folks that liked Naruto way back when but when it got plastered everywhere and shoved in my face I now detest it. :/

There is most likely other things but my brain feels like it's getting jackhammered. :splat:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

I once really loved NASCAR and now I can't stand to watch even one lap. I used to be all into it and knew everything about all the drivers, team owners, and crews. Now I don't even know who any of the drivers are. I think after most of the drivers that I liked quit racing I just lost interest. I still keep up with NHRA racing but can't stand NASCAR. All my NASCAR stuff is in boxes in the attic and will probably stay up there until I put it on eBay one day.

This post has been edited by Apokio: 28 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

View PostApokio, on 28 November 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

I once really loved NASCAR

They're making another left turn!
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

View PostAnalyticLunatic, on 28 November 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

View PostApokio, on 28 November 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

I once really loved NASCAR

They're making another left turn!

Posted Image
Spoiler

This post has been edited by AthenaDX: 28 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#13 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

View PostNeoTifa, on 28 November 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

Alright, I'm going to say it: I can't stand AC/DC or Guns N' Roses anymore. And they radio is almost making me like Led Zepplin a lot less. :(/> I fucking LOVE Led Zepplin, yet I still find myself able to change the station.

The radio killed The Who for me. :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

Dubstep. Maybe I just grew up or maybe I'm a closet hipster but ever since Dubstep went mainstream enough to the point where it gets on commercials, I've hated it. It feels like every artist is now jumping on the bandwagon to stand out/make more money. And you can just feel how there was a group of people discussing how they can be edgy and reach out/relate to the younger crowd. Then that one guy who probably invented infomercials pipped up and said "I know! Dubstep!". And so then abominations like this are spawned:

This one isn't that bad though, probably because it's not as obnoxious and the song isn't too bad: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vflVbF40ABk

And it's always the annoying stereotyped version of dubstep too. Skrillex too. He used to be okay and now he's a lot worse. Either he's getting lazy or catering to his market. I got free tickets to a Skrillex show and it's audience had an awfully large amount of little kids. And by little kids - I mean littler than me. So there's some perspective.

Excision/Datsik/Rusko/Caspa/Borgore/all the other old people who did it for the music are still good though.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

@creativecoding: Oh yeah, man.. When Microsoft got ahold of this one I kinda lost my taste for dubstep.

I found the lyrics to be pretty comical, though.. It's a commercial for IE with a song with lyrics speaking of the end of things..

"You know we're headed separate ways" -> Damn right, I never launch IE. keep a USB stick with firefox and stuff on it just so I never need IE for anything. Not even to download firefox.

"So I'll be on my way" -> You bet your ass. See above

"You gave me more than I can return" -> Yeah, vulnerabilities galore!

"Yet there's so much that you deserve" -> Like a death sentence, and a swift kick in the balls.

"I've nothing to give" -> My feet are made of flesh. Not proper material for kicking monstrous code bases in the balls.

The commercial left me wondering what drugs their marketing team was on when they decided to make it.

This post has been edited by Python_4_President: 28 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »