3 Replies - 11795 Views - Last Post: 29 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Which webservice to use?

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:04 AM

Hi guys,
I have to make a cinema booking system for school that has also a desktop client and a web site that can make reservations of tickets. Can you tell me what web service to use to connect the server to the desktop client and also to the web site?
I was thinking about JSON, but I`m not sure. Could you tell which one is better and why?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Which webservice to use?

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which webservice to use?

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:16 AM

What do you mean by "connect"? Real-time? Polling from the desktop? What do you want to accomplish?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:18 AM

View Posteclipsed4utoo, on 29 November 2012 - 06:16 AM, said:

What do you mean by "connect"? Real-time? Polling from the desktop? What do you want to accomplish?

Real time connection.. the desktop client should get information from the webservices...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

As far as a web service technology, you would use the old SOAP web services. They are pretty old, but pretty fool-proof and support a number of different platforms connecting to it.

You could also use WCF, which is a newer web service technology, but a little more limited on the platforms that can connect to it.

You could also look into using ServiceStack. I haven't used it, but seems to be a very good project.

As for real-time communication, I would suggest using SignalR. I am currently using SignalR in an enterprise application, and I love it.

So, in my opinion, you would want a web service for getting information, but could also used a real-time communication(like SignalR) that would allow real-time communication between the desktop client and web site.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1