0 Replies - 1369 Views - Last Post: 29 November 2012 - 06:49 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Question of Development Language and Platform

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

I'm working with a few friends to begin developing a side-scroller video game, and if it works out, we'll try out hands at an FPS. Being that this will be our first group game, where everyone is working together, there's bound to be conflict, but we're ready for it. My question, which has been bugging me for quite some time, is what language to develop it in. I'm very comfortable with Java. More than comfortable. I've been working in it for about 5 years now, and developed a few of my own arcade games in it. I realize the 3D capabilities are severely limited, however, and any game development engines available for Java are either severely outdated or just plain suck. On the other hand, there's C# with the XNA extensions. XNA looks very powerful, and I've seen its potential for 3D game development. It's very similar to Java in coding conventions, so I don't think it will be too difficult to pick up(I haven't programmed in C# before). In addition, it has the option to be ported to the Xbox 360(which my friends and the other devs are avid fans of) with the purchase of a publishing license for the marketplace. The issue, of course, is that I won't be able to develop on a Linux platform and make it versatile(I love developing in my Linux box, it just feels more natural). The final option of course is to pick up C++ again and OpenGL and just go apeshit and create ports for each OS it will be deployed to, which is slightly undesirable. I don't like C++ personally, it's got too much legacy stuff to it, and the coding conventions feel painful. What is your verdict though, DIC community members? What experiences have you had with game development in Java, XNA(C#) and OpenGL(C++), and what did you create? How smoothly did the language fit in with what you wanted to develop? I'm looking to make a decision on which language to use to continue our lineage of development for each game, so I don't need to re-learn 5 different languages and run a bunch of different engines. I need a little guidance here, any is appreciated.

This post has been edited by blixna_waka: 29 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Page 1 of 1