3 Replies - 1480 Views - Last Post: 30 November 2012 - 03:34 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Automatic page length/multipage

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:17 AM

Hi, I'm trying to make a website, but as a good boy, I'm planning before. :)/>
Basically I think that what I want to achieve here is something you have to start with or at least do it at early stage. But I don't really know how to name it, so I've got some difficulties with uncle google.
What I want is my index page to have page numbers at the bottom. Something like google search. Let say, only 50 results on the first page and then you can go to the next one. And not like facebook, which can load a page 300m long :)/>
It's all simple now, because I can make few pages and link them together, but the problem is when I want to put some new article at the top of the main page. I want the last one from this page to go on the top of the second page etc. Is there a way of making a webpage like that without updating every single page every time. Maybe a div which can display 2000px vertically and everything else is moving to a 'second layer'?
My main problem here is that I don't even know where to search. Not even sure that php is a good category. Maybe JS or I can organize my DreamWeaver to update divs automatically. Maybe making new div at the top and the 'oldest' one will jump on the next page.
Maybe what I want to know is how I can update my website easily, so when it's too long it will create a new page for the oldest article.

Now some details: I want to make a website which will look a bit like facebook (but has nothing to do with social website). The centre column will have articles that I don't want to delete. I don't want to make a website 300m long and I don't want to update 1500 pages after few years of my website being live. Note that only I can update it. Comment section for visitors will be a different issue.
I'm using DreamWeaver CS6 right now. I'm familiar with HTML and I know basics of PHP, CSS, JS and C#. So, I think, I will be able to produce a code, but I need an idea where or how to start. :)/>

Thanks for your time guys.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Automatic page length/multipage

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Automatic page length/multipage

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:38 AM

I think what you want is called "Pagination" (there should also be something in the tutorials section).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:39 AM

Hello there,

First of all I won't be giving you any help with the design of your site, because that's something you've got to muck about with to achieve, otherwise it wouldn't be yours, right?

Regarding the scrolling page production, I actually put an example in a thread on this site which achieves just that (in a basic form) which I think would give you a nice idea of how to go about it (see post here: http://www.dreaminco...#entry1752454).

What you will probably want to look into doing is using jQuery (or pure Javascript if you so wish) and JSON to feed the data from your server to the client, as you don't want to load all of your pages at once in the assumption they will scroll.

This post has been edited by Kruithne: 30 November 2012 - 02:40 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:34 AM

That's exactly what I was searching for. I can easily go by myself from here. Thanks a lot guys....and remember, visit my site when it's done :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1